Renaming NETWORK Printers

Is there any way to rename a NETWORK printer?

In Printers and Faxes, I can right-click on a local
printer, and be offered "rename" as an option.

However, if I right-click on a network printer, there
is no "rename" option. :(

I would really like to be able to rename, or nick name,
the network printers. I just can't remember if the
printer with a network name like "axd86d9zz1" is the
color printer, or the large 11x17 b&w printer. When I
try to print in an application, it would be a whole lot
easier if I had a selection called "color printer"
rather than "axd86d9zz" in the pull-down list.

Does anyone know a way to do this????
5 answers Last reply
More about renaming network printers

    Rename the printer on the computer where it is a local
    printer.

    Thanks, but unfortunately, that isn't my computer. It
    is a network server, and I am sure that these network
    names mean something special, and significant, to the
    IS support people.

    I was just hoping that XP had a way of using a name
    that was significant to me. Win 9x allowed to you
    name networked printers anything you wanted, and
    you just had to associate that with the right
    fully qualified network name for the printer as
    a separate step. Win 9x didn't attempt to ASSUME
    a relationship between the local printer's name and
    its network address.

    Ah, Win 9x once again proves its superiority. :)

    I have tested this and found that in fact the right click will not offer
    'rename' but if you select properties from the same menu, you can then
    rename it. The only problem then is that the current printer will no longer
    be valid but that can be corrected by opening the shared printer from 'My
    Network Places' and select 'View workgroup computers' from the Network
    Tasks. Open the Workgroup computer found on this page that holds the shared
    printer and look for the printer you wish to use. By simply double clicking
    on it will force WindowsXP to Auto discover this printer and it will now
    have the new name you just given it a minute ago. This will only work on
    WindowsXP system.

    Give it a try and let me know if it worked.

    --
    Pavel

    "Walt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to rename a NETWORK printer?
    >
    > In Printers and Faxes, I can right-click on a local
    > printer, and be offered "rename" as an option.
    >
    > However, if I right-click on a network printer, there
    > is no "rename" option. :(
    >
    > I would really like to be able to rename, or nick name,
    > the network printers. I just can't remember if the
    > printer with a network name like "axd86d9zz1" is the
    > color printer, or the large 11x17 b&w printer. When I
    > try to print in an application, it would be a whole lot
    > easier if I had a selection called "color printer"
    > rather than "axd86d9zz" in the pull-down list.
    >
    > Does anyone know a way to do this????

    What your instructions do is to actually rename the printer on the computer
    where it is a local printer.

    When you open the Properties of a Network Printer, you are looking at the
    properties as known on the print server (computer that has the printer as a
    Local Printer).

    With Windows 2000 and later, Network Printers do not get a "printer object"
    on the client computers, just a reference (connection) to the printer share.

    If you are an administrator on the computer that has the printer as a Local
    Printer, you can adjust the properties of that printer, including its name.
    This allows for simple, remote administration of printers on print servers.

    If you are not an administrator on the print server computer (normally the
    case in a business or corporate network), you can not change any of the
    properties of the printer.

    Because a Network Printer does not have a "printer object" there is nothing
    to rename on the client.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have tested this and found that in fact the right click will not offer
    >'rename' but if you select properties from the same menu, you can then
    >rename it. The only problem then is that the current printer will no longer
    >be valid but that can be corrected by opening the shared printer from 'My
    >Network Places' and select 'View workgroup computers' from the Network
    >Tasks. Open the Workgroup computer found on this page that holds the shared
    >printer and look for the printer you wish to use. By simply double clicking
    >on it will force WindowsXP to Auto discover this printer and it will now
    >have the new name you just given it a minute ago. This will only work on
    >WindowsXP system.
    >

    > Give it a try and let me know if it worked.
    >
    > --
    > Pavel
    >

    > "Walt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there any way to rename a NETWORK printer?
    >>
    >> In Printers and Faxes, I can right-click on a local
    >> printer, and be offered "rename" as an option.
    >>
    >> However, if I right-click on a network printer, there
    >> is no "rename" option. :(
    >>
    >> I would really like to be able to rename, or nick name,
    >> the network printers. I just can't remember if the
    >> printer with a network name like "axd86d9zz1" is the
    >> color printer, or the large 11x17 b&w printer. When I
    >> try to print in an application, it would be a whole lot
    >> easier if I had a selection called "color printer"
    >> rather than "axd86d9zz" in the pull-down list.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know a way to do this????

    Thanks Bruce. I suspected that this was too easy :) Sorry Walt....you just
    going to have to do it the hard way...convince your admin to change the
    name.

    --
    Pavel

Network Printer Printers Windows XP