CPU Fan Noise

G

I just bought my first home computer - a Dell - the newest model 8200 Dimension. It is a Pentium 4 with 1.7 GHZ. I don't have a benchmark for NOISE from a computer, but the minute I plugged it in, it made a loud, constant, humming sound. Technicians on the phone listened and felt it was 'louder than normal'. Technicians have been sent to my home to change the CPU fan, power unit, and hard drive. In my home, they listen to the noise, and tell me that Dell fans were loud on a previous series until they fixed the issue, and that this was the same situation. They did not think this was abnormal for this unit.

With conflicting advice, Dell is sending me a new unit - but I think the problem may remain. Technicians definitely diagnosed the issue as the CPU Fan. The plastic container around the fan is loose and plastic - which adds to the noise - so I have taped it down, and surrounded the sides of the box with towels, without cutting off the air at the back , to muffle the sound.

HELP - can I buy a CPU Fan that will be quiet, and fit with my Dell computer??????

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
that sucks...
if the heatsink retainers are loose i think that might cause noise, and some slowdown of the p4..
the p4 is great thermally, and will most likely not fry...it jsut slows down to the point where it is running cool. i hope that the new system runs quieter, and that you dont get any problems.
my friend just got a dell dimension, with a p4 1.5 ghz..i think i will go and check his system out and see if it is loud..
also....do you know how fast the cpu fan is spinning, like does the bios report it?
because my friend who is here right now has the same system that i have, but he has a 7000 rpm volcano6cu+, and mine has the 4500rpm volcano6cu(not plus, normal)
and his is LOUD AS HELL...i cant stand it..and dont know how he uses that...
mine on the other hand, make noise, but i can stand it....
so maybe they are throwing on some high rpm fans in those dell systems, but that wouldnt make any sense, because the p4 usually runs cooler than the athlon...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
eh, mine is quiet, and it is the 6cu....and it cools just 1*c higher than his cu+
lol
and then i just added the 80mm fan on the side today...busted out the dremel and cut my brand new case...but it makes this thing run WAYYYY cooler, and i but this hole better than my last...
if i get a camera, and decide to post some pics, it will probably be at virtual hideout.
i dunno tho, maybe by that time, i will have made my own site, but i doubt that i will take the time...hehe

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

TRENDING THREADS