Problem Patching

Trying to log into EQ1 today - patcher gets up and running, downloads
bazaar.txt and then freezes. Apparantly that file is in the maps folder.
Tried to delete it and it won't let me. Any idea what to do?

Lou

Louis R. Vincze Jr. wrote:
> "Louis R. Vincze Jr." <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to log into EQ1 today - patcher gets up and running,
downloads
> > bazaar.txt and then freezes. Apparantly that file is in the maps
folder.
> > Tried to delete it and it won't let me. Any idea what to do?
> >
> > Lou
> >

> Oh yeah - the error message is Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

Check your hard drive. Run a scandisk or checkdisk or whatever Windows
calls it now. It sounds like you may have a bad hard drive and the
computer cannot read that file. If you encounter any problems with
your drive, I would highly recommend getting a new one immediately and
begin transfering important files.

Other possibilities...not really sure. A virus shouldn't target text
files, but you could always run a virus checker. (If it tries to scan
the bazaar.txt file it may give a similar problem and freeze the
computer). Can you rename the file instead of deleting? Check the
properties, is the file marked as read-only for some odd reason? These
are longshots, I would check for a bad hard drive first...

Louis R. Vincze Jr. wrote:
> "Louis R. Vincze Jr." <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Louis R. Vincze Jr." <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> Trying to log into EQ1 today - patcher gets up and running,
downloads
> >> bazaar.txt and then freezes. Apparantly that file is in the maps
folder.
> >> Tried to delete it and it won't let me. Any idea what to do?
> >>
> >> Lou
> >>

> > Oh yeah - the error message is Data Error (cyclic redundancy
check).

> > Lou
> >

> Nevermind - figured it out. Corrupted files that can't be deleted.
> renamed the folder to .tmp and then copied the good files and
repatched.
> Looks like this will solve it.

I would still highly recommend checking yoru drive for errors. Start a
scan when you go to bed. As far as I know, files don't tend to
spontaneously become unreadable and undeleteable. However I have seen
several bad hard drives.

"Louis R. Vincze Jr." <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Trying to log into EQ1 today - patcher gets up and running, downloads
> bazaar.txt and then freezes. Apparantly that file is in the maps folder.
> Tried to delete it and it won't let me. Any idea what to do?
>
> Lou

Oh yeah - the error message is Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

Lou

"Louis R. Vincze Jr." <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> "Louis R. Vincze Jr." <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Trying to log into EQ1 today - patcher gets up and running, downloads
>> bazaar.txt and then freezes. Apparantly that file is in the maps folder.
>> Tried to delete it and it won't let me. Any idea what to do?
>>
>> Lou
>>

> Oh yeah - the error message is Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).
>
> Lou

Nevermind - figured it out. Corrupted files that can't be deleted. I
renamed the folder to .tmp and then copied the good files and repatched.
Looks like this will solve it.

Lou

Xiphos

At the risk of veering wildly off topic for this group, I will say that
I have, on many occasions, seen files do just that on drives that
subsequently tested good even under a full sector-by-sector destructive
media test. This is known to happen with Windows ME, which doesn't
always manage to write to the vfat table correctly.
--
Xiphos - The Wine team really needs to get DX9 support going.

Xiphos