AMD Shipped Over 1 Million Fusion APUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]fusion is lovely and all but, where is me bulldozer! i can almost taste it[/citation]

It's on it's way it is. Will be here in June it will. :)

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]... at which point AMD will still be a generation behind intel. Not saying AMD isn't inventive..fusion is pretty cool...but AMD is forever far behind intel when it comes to anything high end.[/citation]
Let's wait and see before jumping to conclusion. Both are new architectures from ground up and both are 32nm. What generation are you talking about? Or do you know something that we don't? If so, please share.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I'm interested in getting one of these netbooks, but so far I've only been able to find one through HP. Being that I fix computers for a living, I'd rather not buy from them.

lol. i see many people still have this problem even TH already tell the people how to do this thing a few times already. just click the link 'read the comments on the forum' so you can edit your post :)

ah yes, the athlon 64 days were good. if only they marketed their product better.....i still believe the world needs more AMD awareness, people are just suspect when they dont see an intel CPU in a PC. Even if bulldozer is faster than intel's offering when released, they need some serious marketing push when it releases or it will still undersell intel by a large margin.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]thomaseron[/nom]When the AMD64 was new (yes, it was a while ago) AMD kicked intels behind. Unfortunatly intel, as we all know, played dirty, hence AMD didn't sell as many CPUs as they could have.[/citation]

Yeah, Damm that Intel for playing dirty by using legitimate business strategy's which you would know if you had two brain cells to your name. Seriously dude, yes everyone here loves AMD, yes they look like they may very well win this battle with Intel, but would it really hurt to just admit Intel did a good job? No? didn't think so.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Intel aren't due to bring out 22nm CPUs until the end of the year. Bulldozer should beat that by a good 6 months, and AMD are in the process of moving at least one fab to 22nm. I agree that they're behind... but less than they were when they finally went 45nm which was 2 years after Intel.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007

When the AMD64 was new (yes, it was a while ago) AMD kicked intels behind. Unfortunatly intel, as we all know, played dirty, hence AMD didn't sell as many CPUs as they could have.

There. Finally replied to the right person. :p :)

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007

I'm not saying intel did a bad job, I'm just saying they played dirty. Both the EU and FTC found intel guilty of foul play.
The last P4 were also the hottest, and they didn't stand much chance against the AMD64.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
It might have had a good performance but it had lots of other problems. It was hot and prone to overheating etc.
I hope they've improved their overall CPU designs now. The biggest problem for AMD (IMO) is that they are so far behind in process technology. They'll come with 32 nm just when Intel releases 22 nm. If AMD manages to close that gap or at least reduce it to 6 months they might be able to finally compete with Intel and make profit.

Actually, only the last ones had problems with heat...
Think it was from the 5600+ up to the 6000+.
Compared to the P4, which was the main competition, they were quite cool.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I did check up on this earlier and the first article I found on Google was the Venice 3200+, but I didn't stop to check further. Regardless, P4s were known for their heat thanks to the Prescott architecture, and AMD had already put thermal diodes into their products by this point (something which Intel had done for a while).

[citation][nom]thefog101[/nom]Yeah, Damm that Intel for playing dirty by using legitimate business strategy's which you would know if you had two brain cells to your name. Seriously dude, yes everyone here loves AMD, yes they look like they may very well win this battle with Intel, but would it really hurt to just admit Intel did a good job? No? didn't think so.[/citation]

Intel did not use legitimate business anything, as was determined by the courts. They deliberately prevented tier-1 PC manufacturers from using AMD anything by threatening revocation of "exclusive" pricing options (exclusive as it was only offered to INTEL-only manufacturers) along with threatening to cut shipments of parts. Michael Dell testified that several times his company attempted to create AMD branded PC's in economy PC range, the biggest selling sector, and each time INTEL replied that they would revoke their pricing options and cut component shipments. This is why INTEL had to pay AMD a truck load of money to cover damages from completely locking AMD out of the OEM economy PC market, the highest volume sector in the PC industry and the sector AMD CPU's are most apt for.

INTEL has brilliant engineers, its their marketing strategy and business decisions that are horrible.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]thomaseron[/nom]It's on it's way it is. Will be here in June it will.[/citation]
I've heard that they are focusing on the server market.Will it be good for gaming ?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Fusion is a great APU, it's fast, cheap and powerful.

This is AMD's year to take over again (even if it isn't in the desktop market, which we still have yet to find out)

AMD is going to do great with it's APU's, they can and will go into almost anything that needs the power, bye Atom.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007

There is one slide that indicates it will be good for gaming, but until an official release, it's hard to tell.
There are two different sockets for Bulldozer. The AM3+ and the G34.
The AM3+ is for desktops and the G34 is for servers. The desktop version will have up to 8 cores (4 modules) and the
server one will have up to 16 cores (8 modules).

The cores are small, but efficiant, and they use TurboCore 2.0 to adapt to the current workload.
I think the "Dozer" will be a "mean" processor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.