HSF for Athlon XP

G

I was wondering if the Alpha PAL 6035 is a good enough heatsink with a decent fan for the Athlon XP 1800+?

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i am thinking of buying the Spire SocketA 5E34B3-H Highspeed Silver for my Athlon XP 1800+

does anyone know this cooler ?

<i>DEAT<b>Hope</b>ratesINsilence</i>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
No.

In the world of HSF's, remember that no-name brands = no-great preformance. General rule of thumb, unless the design is really revolutionary.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
ok, which brands are good ?

at the shop where i will by my system, i can chose out of spire and iceberg coolers

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Alpha, Swifttech, Thermaltake are some good names in the HSF business. Usually, shops will not carry the better brands.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hey, you forgot Globalwin!! For a very low price you can get the CAK38 which is an all copper cooler. Although it may not be the best, you can't beat it for the price.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I own an Alpha Pal-6035, with a Thermaltake 60mm fan rated at 31cfm and 28db. idle temps of 28C and load temps of 44C. Athlon 1 gig overclocked to 1.2, 1.75 volts. So to answer your question, the Pal-6035 is an outstanding heatsink considering it's over a year and a half old.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i am buying :

mobo : SocketA Asus A7V266
cpu : SocketA AMD XP Athlon 1800+ 266FSB

what would you suggest to cool it ? low budget would be great .. but i dont want to blow my cpu :)

also buying :

graphics card : ASUS V8200 Deluxe 64 MB GF3 AGP

do i need extra cooling for that ?

(i wont overclock)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hrqls on 10/31/01 01:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Ok here are a few questions that may seem like they matter very little.

1. How much you willing to spend on cooling?
2. What kind of case, how many case fans?
3. Are you rather technically proficient?
4. Do you plan on overclocking?

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I'd agree with Joe, Volcano 6 cu+ for about $12, or maybe even a OCZ Gladiator for $30 if you want alittle more cooling. Just remember that case cooling (airflow) is the main ingredient in a cool system.

As far as I've seen, and I'm not a video expert, most Geforce 3 cards already come with some sort of active cooling. Which is more than enough if your case is decently cooled.

The Volcano Cu+ is leaps and bounds better than the stock heatsink that comes with the XP, which is a coolermaster I beleive, so as long as your not overclocking then the Thermaltake should be a great cooler.

G

The Swiftech MC 462 is the best in the market right now. But it weights more than 2 offensive linemen. Luckily, it's a screw down, it means all its weight is not concentrated on your CPU.

G

I just reinstalled my older model MC462 Swifty on an XP 1900 + System, and predictably what a difference in cooling performance. 30C at idle, and 35C under load.

Yep, them Swifties <i>are </i> the best in my experience, even though the newer MCX series purportedly has better results due to more pins on the copper.

Sidebar: Fry's Electronics now sells the MCX462 at 59.95

Bout time :)

G

Would you guys use a Volcano 6CU on an AMD 1900+ processor with a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard running on Micron PC2100 256MB RAM? I just bought a case with a fan on top of the case, yes a fan on top, one on a side and one in the back. There are little holes on both sides of the case for air ventilation. What's your opinion about the case? Also, would you lap the HS prior to installation and why? Can I just install the HS with compound straight to the CPU? Any recommended compound? What's the temp and weight on the Volcanoe 6CU?I'm not overclocking this PC.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the 6cu is good. it will cool that thing fine, especially if you are not overclocking.
if you use even the white stuff that comes with the heatsink, it will be fine...but if you want it a few degrees cooler, i would say use arctic silver...
as for the case, what i would do is test it. then try it with the holes that you mentioned sealed up. cover them with tape or something.
sometimes having holes in the panels like that can kill the controlled air flow in the case, causing the fans to be innefficient.
test it both ways, because maybe it is designed to have those.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-