lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Someone please turn my frown upside down!
I have put an SK-6 with ASII on my 1.2G T-bird. Case temps run about 25C (+or- 1C). CPU temps run about 46C idle (49C after playing Half Life/They Hunger for about an hour. I have dealt with temp issues with this cpu for a while now. First thinking airflow was a problem (case temps around 5C above ambient room), but now my case temp is just 1-1.5C above ambient room temp. Airflow problem solved (?). Ditched my Volcano II (CPU temps were in the mid 50's idle) for the SK-6 and 32cfm fan. With the hsf switch and latest BIOS, MBM5 still reports cpu temp 20-21C higher than case temp?! I know about the supposed Asus thing of adding 10C or so to their temp readings, but I don't know if I totally buy that seeing as how many others here with similar setups (including an Asus mobo) have much lower temps than I do. I am also aware that if your machine's running stable, than it's assumed your temps are OK (regardless of what your monitoring program tells you, ahem- ASUS Probe).
So, I'm satisfied with the idea that my temps are OK, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why my temps are so out of line with others. In fact, I've read posts from others with higher clocked and oc'd systems, with load temps lower than my idle (again, with setups similar to mine). What is my freakin' problem? I just can't believe the sk-6 (granted, I'm not running it with a Delta) <b>can't provide better cooling than 21C over case temp!!!</b> WTF! Please help!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Don't worry about it. Asus motherboards are extremely inaccurate when it comes to measuring CPU temps.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
to really reliably check the temp, buy one of those probes, they are like 15 bucks us, and have an lcd display that tells you the temp, and a probe that you can put anywhere in the case.
i dont know what they are called, like name brand, but i am sure that if you go to radio shack or something, then you could pick one up...
or you might be able to make one for yourself, but i dont even know how to start that, other than how to make a thermister...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-