Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hello everyone,

Always been a casual gamer (thanks to my younger cousins ) but recently we´ve decided to try and do a mod of a game, something like adding a vehicle, or creating some quests.

I´m pretty familiar with autocad, and also Maya/3DS, even though my main work is doing projects on Autocad, so I´m stronger on that one.

Me and a cousin of mine, that is a programmer were looking solely for curiosity and fun, to do some mods on games, adding some cinematics, some quests, some playable vehicles etc... and in the process improve both ourselves and our technical knowledge and also have some fun :D

Since now I´m building a desktop capable of handling heavy rendering etc.. I decided to give it a shot.

Can you guys give me some info on the subject?
What programs? Does creating "simple" quests implies heavy programming knowledge etc..?

Thanks Everyone :D

- Also i believe this is the right forum, submenu, if I´m wrong please tell me and I´ll ask a moderator to move it.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
this is the wrong forum for that.

there are other forums which you will probably find more info

if you want to modify characters then

there is a program called mesh2rdm

you can use this to extract the models (of certain games, he has other tools as wel)

then use autocad to edit them

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Many thanks for the reply ! :D

Well I'm thinking of skyrim and mass effect (2 or 3), something like weapons and armour mods, vehicles and maybe a small simple quest.

But for making that gun didn't you had to render it on another program?

I'm quite familiar with rendering software but I'm a bit lost when I try to make the jump to games lool :D

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
make a mod for skyrim that makes more dragons spawn!? for skyrim nexus, it should be pretty simple with the tools you get, or you could try modifying textures for a few games before trying to do any big project, i would like to be kept informed of this because im taking game design and programming at college next year.

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Many thanks for the reply!

Will try that program! ;)

Ok will also check on another forums :)

Starmap

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Well my final goal is to make playable in mass effect some models I've designed in maya, both amour, and weapons and also add a vehicle mission with the mako...
And in skyrim something like horse mods, armour weapons and such or even a house.
I will check out that skyrim nexus. thanks ;)

Will also keep you posted :D
Good luck with game design and programing ! ;)
Mechanical engineer in here so you can guess I'm a bit lost in this gaming stuff :D

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
im studying engineering ATM, just finished doing it for 3 years but i have decided that its not what i want to do for the rest of my life, the plan is software engineering after another 2 year course, although i will have my auto cad skill to take with me, they might be of some use.

good luck!