DESKPRO 2000 hangs after harddisk removal

I´ve got an old deskpro2000 now running with 2 ISA network cards under
Win98SE. Next problems and questions: I have one old 3.2 GB HDD holding the
Win98SE system installed permanently on the on-board IDE interface. I have
installed an ATA-100 Promise PCI board for bigger harddisks. For these I
have installed a rack for removable HDDs. When I have booted successfully
with both disks in place, they work ok. Also making images with Norton
Ghost (an image of the small disk onto the bigger disk) works fine. Then I
turn the machine off, remove the removable HDD-cartridge, so there is only
the 3.2 GB disk with the Windows-system on board. After booting again, the
Promise ATA-100 controler´s BIOS is not installed since there is no disk
found, thereafter the booting process hangs with the Microsoft Windows
screen, the bar at bottom not moving any more. I have gone through the BIOS
setup, booted in protected mode. Then closed Windows, turned electrically
off. Turned on, booting halts again. When I put in the removable harddisk
and connect it, the machine starts ok. What might be the reason and remedy?
Can I deactivate IDE-devices like in the BIOS of a "normal" mainboard? When
both disks are in place and the system works, I have gone through
system-information, there are no IRQ- or other conflicts.

--
Viktor Weisshaeupl
personal e-mail to: vwlists at utanet dot at

    Try a work around get an old IDE HDD and connect that to removeable
    controller full time, or uninstall windows drivers for the Removeable HDD
    system or i wonder if there is a IDE 'terminator like a SCSI terminator????

    perhaps this is one for hardware profiles??? Control panel - system - (
    win98Se should have something similar) then you disable the device im one of
    your profiles then windows (hopefully ) won't look for the device on
    startup)

    if your machine is up to it get Windows 2000+ much better at this sort of
    thing.

    "Dave" <R9EGU@OWERIFH.COM> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Try a work around get an old IDE HDD and connect that to removeable
    > controller full time
    makes not difference, I have tried that.

    > or uninstall windows drivers for the Removeable HDD
    I have done that, no difference.

    > system or i wonder if there is a IDE 'terminator like a SCSI
    terminator????
    No, just cable works with the HDD, why should it not work without drive and
    controler BIOS not installed because system found no drive?

    > perhaps this is one for hardware profiles??? Control panel - system - (
    > win98Se should have something similar) then you disable the device im one
    of
    > your profiles then windows (hopefully ) won't look for the device on
    > startup)
    I have tried this, no difference. Booting from FDD works.

    > if your machine is up to it get Windows 2000+ much better at this sort of
    > thing.

    I have an XP installation for it as an image, I will try that but very
    probably move to another "normal" Pentium hanging around.

    Thanks for the input.

    Viktor

    --
    Viktor Weisshaeupl
    personal e-mail to: vwlists at utanet dot at
    The e-mail adress in the newsreader exists, but is never read and only
    meant for destroying the spam coming in.

Compaq Hard Drives Computers