XP SP2 - Network print delays

September 11, 2004 5:47:48 AM

If you manage a small network of XP systems that share printers over the
network, you may want to carefully "put your toe in the water" and install
SP2 on just one machine, as a test. From what I can tell after scanning
various newsgroups, there lurks a fairly large problem trying to access
various non-local printers from a XP SP2 box, I saw a couple of indications
that MS is aware (but not sure about that). Anybody know if MS and/or HP is
on top of this and when we might see a fix?

Our environment:

1) A HP LaserJet 4100 attached to a Win98 box, which is dedicated to being a
print server (Yup, old stuff is still useful...)
2) A handful of new WinXP boxes that have been printing to that print server
for months with no problems
3) One of the WinXP boxes recently installed XP SP2

The problem we are seeing:

The XP SP2 box now sees about a minute (or so) delay every time it brings up
a document that had been previously printed to that printer. That SP2 box
has no local printer and has the network printer defined as the default, so
whenever any print is attempted the same delay is seen. Ditto for trying to
bring up Properties on that printer or doing a test print to it.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 5:47:49 AM

i am experiencing a similar, but possibly unrelated
problem (see my earlier post: "slow graphics printing
after installing SP2 upgrade"

my question to you is do you experience the problem with
text only documents? my problem seems to be restricted to
print jobs that contain graphic images, but is on a small
(22 workstation) that has quite a few network shared
printers.

thanks much

aa

September 11, 2004 4:23:49 PM

Try bringing up printer properties (from the system that is remote from the
printer) and try printing a test page. If it doesn't stall for a minute or
so during both of those operations, then you don't have the same problem --
although it may be related.

"andy anderson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|i am experiencing a similar, but possibly unrelated
| problem (see my earlier post: "slow graphics printing
| after installing SP2 upgrade"
|
| my question to you is do you experience the problem with
| text only documents? my problem seems to be restricted to
| print jobs that contain graphic images, but is on a small
| (22 workstation) that has quite a few network shared
| printers.
|
| thanks much
|
| aa

September 12, 2004 10:05:44 AM

Check printer properties.
Start, Settings, Printers&Faxes, Right click on
properties, Advanced, Print Processor. I have had the
least delay using RAW.

wrote in message
>|i am experiencing a similar, but possibly unrelated
>| problem (see my earlier post: "slow graphics printing
>| after installing SP2 upgrade"
>|
>| my question to you is do you experience the problem with
>| text only documents? my problem seems to be restricted
>| print jobs that contain graphic images, but is on a
small
>| (22 workstation) that has quite a few network shared
>| printers.
>|
>| thanks much
>|
>| aa

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 5:20:10 PM

Could you answer a question about how the network
printing performed before the SP2 upgrade please? As the
XP system spooled the print over the network to the Win98
system, did the HP4100 start printing as soon as the
first page was spooled over, or did it wait until the
whole file was sent across the LAN? I am having a problem
with an HP2100 in exactly your confoguration where it
waits for the whole file before starting. I am sorry but
this will not help fix your SP2 problem.
All the best, Alan
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 8:39:02 AM

I have also had a very specific problem with printing on a network which I
haven't been able to solve, though I have more info on the exact setup that
seems to cause a problem:
(1) Printing to a remote computer with shared printer - ONLY computers
running Windows 98 have problem.
(2) Windows XP with SP2 on workstation doing printing (SP1 no problem)

This sounds very similar to other problems in this thread - also experience
problems bringing up printer properties. Excel behaves VERY slowly after
printing or previewing page. Problems also in other apps but not so severe
and no slow-down after printing, like Excel. Tried on Excel 2003 and Excel
2000. Same problems

Printers tested all Hewlett Packard - HP2200,HP2300 - BUT - problem seems to
be simply whether printer attached to Win98 workstation.

Have upgraded print drivers, de-installed and re-installed printer drivers,
even upgraded netgear switch firmware - to no avail.

Our network: Windows 2000 (Server), mix of XP,ME,98 on 24 workstations.
Printers all attached remotely to workstations, no print servers or printers
attached to server.

Sorry no answer as yet (only solution to remove SP2??). Shame MS decided to
"auto-update" this service pack.

Simon H

"Alan Duerden" wrote:

> Could you answer a question about how the network
> printing performed before the SP2 upgrade please? As the
> XP system spooled the print over the network to the Win98
> system, did the HP4100 start printing as soon as the
> first page was spooled over, or did it wait until the
> whole file was sent across the LAN? I am having a problem
> with an HP2100 in exactly your confoguration where it
> waits for the whole file before starting. I am sorry but
> this will not help fix your SP2 problem.
> All the best, Alan

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 10:45:11 AM

I add my name to the list of person having this kind of problem:
-Before SP2:
Fast Printing
After SP2:
Slow opening of applications (looking for default printer I guess)
Takes 30-60 seconds to open the file -> print... dialog
After you click print, the application freeze and it might take up to 5
minutes to print a simple word document (it will eventually print)
Often a message saying that it cannot receive information from the printer
(even though it is printing!)

Configuration:
2 routers (1 wireless, 1 normal )
All computers except a laptop are wired
Windows XP on 4 computers, windows 98 on 2 computers
The printer is attached to a win98 box and is shared on our local network
Windows 98 and xp SP1 computers are working as usual, windows xp sp2
computers are really slowed by this

Workaround?
Select another printer as default, at least the dialog and applications are
Some people have suggested installing the printer as local and then use a
TCP port, I am not sure if I did it perfectly, but it didn't seem to work for
me (plus your client machines need to have the printer driver available)

What I tried
Reinstalling the printer about every way possible on the win xp sp2 machine
disabling firewall
diable bidirectional printing
disable spooling (print directly)
Remove any "phantom" printer (disconnected and the like)
I can't remember if there are other things,
anyways nothing of that worked

Please keep me informed about the development on this really annoying issue

"Simon H" wrote:

> I have also had a very specific problem with printing on a network which I
> haven't been able to solve, though I have more info on the exact setup that
> seems to cause a problem:
> (1) Printing to a remote computer with shared printer - ONLY computers
> running Windows 98 have problem.
> (2) Windows XP with SP2 on workstation doing printing (SP1 no problem)
>
> This sounds very similar to other problems in this thread - also experience
> problems bringing up printer properties. Excel behaves VERY slowly after
> printing or previewing page. Problems also in other apps but not so severe
> and no slow-down after printing, like Excel. Tried on Excel 2003 and Excel
> 2000. Same problems
>
> Printers tested all Hewlett Packard - HP2200,HP2300 - BUT - problem seems to
> be simply whether printer attached to Win98 workstation.
>
> Have upgraded print drivers, de-installed and re-installed printer drivers,
> even upgraded netgear switch firmware - to no avail.
>
> Our network: Windows 2000 (Server), mix of XP,ME,98 on 24 workstations.
> Printers all attached remotely to workstations, no print servers or printers
> attached to server.
>
> Sorry no answer as yet (only solution to remove SP2??). Shame MS decided to
> "auto-update" this service pack.
>
> Simon H
>
> "Alan Duerden" wrote:
>
> > Could you answer a question about how the network
> > printing performed before the SP2 upgrade please? As the
> > XP system spooled the print over the network to the Win98
> > system, did the HP4100 start printing as soon as the
> > first page was spooled over, or did it wait until the
> > whole file was sent across the LAN? I am having a problem
> > with an HP2100 in exactly your confoguration where it
> > waits for the whole file before starting. I am sorry but
> > this will not help fix your SP2 problem.
> > All the best, Alan

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:43:02 PM

this worked for me:
disable the netbios in the tcp/ip settings (wins tab) if you have an all
win 2000 and up ntwk this should be fine.

bcy1
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:43:02 PM

this worked for me:
disable the netbios in the tcp/ip settings (wins tab) if you have an all
win 2000 and up ntwk this should be fine.

bcy1
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:08:41 AM

--
Conley
November 11, 2011 1:17:51 PM

Use the following steps to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP; this procedure forces all SMB traffic to be direct hosted. Take care in implementing this setting because it causes the Windows-based computer to be unable to communicate with earlier operating systems using SMB traffic:
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connection.
Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
Click Advanced.
Click the WINS tab, and then click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

This solution absolutely worked on my small business network of 5 XP Pro SP3 machines and 3 networked printers!
!