XP SP2 - Network print delays

If you manage a small network of XP systems that share printers over the
network, you may want to carefully "put your toe in the water" and install
SP2 on just one machine, as a test. From what I can tell after scanning
various newsgroups, there lurks a fairly large problem trying to access
various non-local printers from a XP SP2 box, I saw a couple of indications
that MS is aware (but not sure about that). Anybody know if MS and/or HP is
on top of this and when we might see a fix?

Our environment:

1) A HP LaserJet 4100 attached to a Win98 box, which is dedicated to being a
print server (Yup, old stuff is still useful...)
2) A handful of new WinXP boxes that have been printing to that print server
for months with no problems
3) One of the WinXP boxes recently installed XP SP2

The problem we are seeing:

The XP SP2 box now sees about a minute (or so) delay every time it brings up
a document that had been previously printed to that printer. That SP2 box
has no local printer and has the network printer defined as the default, so
whenever any print is attempted the same delay is seen. Ditto for trying to
bring up Properties on that printer or doing a test print to it.
11 answers Last reply
More about network print delays

    i am experiencing a similar, but possibly unrelated
    problem (see my earlier post: "slow graphics printing
    after installing SP2 upgrade"

    my question to you is do you experience the problem with
    text only documents? my problem seems to be restricted to
    print jobs that contain graphic images, but is on a small
    (22 workstation) that has quite a few network shared
    printers.

    thanks much

    aa

    Try bringing up printer properties (from the system that is remote from the
    printer) and try printing a test page. If it doesn't stall for a minute or
    so during both of those operations, then you don't have the same problem --
    although it may be related.

    "andy anderson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |i am experiencing a similar, but possibly unrelated
    | problem (see my earlier post: "slow graphics printing
    | after installing SP2 upgrade"
    |
    | my question to you is do you experience the problem with
    | text only documents? my problem seems to be restricted to
    | print jobs that contain graphic images, but is on a small
    | (22 workstation) that has quite a few network shared
    | printers.
    |
    | thanks much
    |
    | aa

    Check printer properties.
    Start, Settings, Printers&Faxes, Right click on
    properties, Advanced, Print Processor. I have had the
    least delay using RAW.

    wrote in message
    >|i am experiencing a similar, but possibly unrelated
    >| problem (see my earlier post: "slow graphics printing
    >| after installing SP2 upgrade"
    >|
    >| my question to you is do you experience the problem with
    >| text only documents? my problem seems to be restricted
    >| print jobs that contain graphic images, but is on a
    small
    >| (22 workstation) that has quite a few network shared
    >| printers.
    >|
    >| thanks much
    >|
    >| aa

    Could you answer a question about how the network
    printing performed before the SP2 upgrade please? As the
    XP system spooled the print over the network to the Win98
    system, did the HP4100 start printing as soon as the
    first page was spooled over, or did it wait until the
    whole file was sent across the LAN? I am having a problem
    with an HP2100 in exactly your confoguration where it
    waits for the whole file before starting. I am sorry but
    this will not help fix your SP2 problem.
    All the best, Alan

    I have also had a very specific problem with printing on a network which I
    haven't been able to solve, though I have more info on the exact setup that
    seems to cause a problem:
    (1) Printing to a remote computer with shared printer - ONLY computers
    running Windows 98 have problem.
    (2) Windows XP with SP2 on workstation doing printing (SP1 no problem)

    This sounds very similar to other problems in this thread - also experience
    problems bringing up printer properties. Excel behaves VERY slowly after
    printing or previewing page. Problems also in other apps but not so severe
    and no slow-down after printing, like Excel. Tried on Excel 2003 and Excel
    2000. Same problems

    Printers tested all Hewlett Packard - HP2200,HP2300 - BUT - problem seems to
    be simply whether printer attached to Win98 workstation.

    Have upgraded print drivers, de-installed and re-installed printer drivers,
    even upgraded netgear switch firmware - to no avail.

    Our network: Windows 2000 (Server), mix of XP,ME,98 on 24 workstations.
    Printers all attached remotely to workstations, no print servers or printers
    attached to server.

    Sorry no answer as yet (only solution to remove SP2??). Shame MS decided to
    "auto-update" this service pack.

    Simon H

    "Alan Duerden" wrote:

    > Could you answer a question about how the network
    > printing performed before the SP2 upgrade please? As the
    > XP system spooled the print over the network to the Win98
    > system, did the HP4100 start printing as soon as the
    > first page was spooled over, or did it wait until the
    > whole file was sent across the LAN? I am having a problem
    > with an HP2100 in exactly your confoguration where it
    > waits for the whole file before starting. I am sorry but
    > this will not help fix your SP2 problem.
    > All the best, Alan

    I add my name to the list of person having this kind of problem:
    -Before SP2:
    Fast Printing
    After SP2:
    Slow opening of applications (looking for default printer I guess)
    Takes 30-60 seconds to open the file -> print... dialog
    After you click print, the application freeze and it might take up to 5
    minutes to print a simple word document (it will eventually print)
    Often a message saying that it cannot receive information from the printer
    (even though it is printing!)

    Configuration:
    2 routers (1 wireless, 1 normal )
    All computers except a laptop are wired
    Windows XP on 4 computers, windows 98 on 2 computers
    The printer is attached to a win98 box and is shared on our local network
    Windows 98 and xp SP1 computers are working as usual, windows xp sp2
    computers are really slowed by this

    Workaround?
    Select another printer as default, at least the dialog and applications are
    Some people have suggested installing the printer as local and then use a
    TCP port, I am not sure if I did it perfectly, but it didn't seem to work for
    me (plus your client machines need to have the printer driver available)

    What I tried
    Reinstalling the printer about every way possible on the win xp sp2 machine
    disabling firewall
    diable bidirectional printing
    disable spooling (print directly)
    Remove any "phantom" printer (disconnected and the like)
    I can't remember if there are other things,
    anyways nothing of that worked

    Please keep me informed about the development on this really annoying issue

    "Simon H" wrote:

    > I have also had a very specific problem with printing on a network which I
    > haven't been able to solve, though I have more info on the exact setup that
    > seems to cause a problem:
    > (1) Printing to a remote computer with shared printer - ONLY computers
    > running Windows 98 have problem.
    > (2) Windows XP with SP2 on workstation doing printing (SP1 no problem)
    >
    > This sounds very similar to other problems in this thread - also experience
    > problems bringing up printer properties. Excel behaves VERY slowly after
    > printing or previewing page. Problems also in other apps but not so severe
    > and no slow-down after printing, like Excel. Tried on Excel 2003 and Excel
    > 2000. Same problems
    >
    > Printers tested all Hewlett Packard - HP2200,HP2300 - BUT - problem seems to
    > be simply whether printer attached to Win98 workstation.
    >
    > Have upgraded print drivers, de-installed and re-installed printer drivers,
    > even upgraded netgear switch firmware - to no avail.
    >
    > Our network: Windows 2000 (Server), mix of XP,ME,98 on 24 workstations.
    > Printers all attached remotely to workstations, no print servers or printers
    > attached to server.
    >
    > Sorry no answer as yet (only solution to remove SP2??). Shame MS decided to
    > "auto-update" this service pack.
    >
    > Simon H
    >
    > "Alan Duerden" wrote:
    >
    > > Could you answer a question about how the network
    > > printing performed before the SP2 upgrade please? As the
    > > XP system spooled the print over the network to the Win98
    > > system, did the HP4100 start printing as soon as the
    > > first page was spooled over, or did it wait until the
    > > whole file was sent across the LAN? I am having a problem
    > > with an HP2100 in exactly your confoguration where it
    > > waits for the whole file before starting. I am sorry but
    > > this will not help fix your SP2 problem.
    > > All the best, Alan

    this worked for me:
    disable the netbios in the tcp/ip settings (wins tab) if you have an all
    win 2000 and up ntwk this should be fine.

    bcy1
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    this worked for me:
    disable the netbios in the tcp/ip settings (wins tab) if you have an all
    win 2000 and up ntwk this should be fine.

    bcy1
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    to be upfront, i figured this out based on some info about sambe. see link
    below

    http://www.spinics.net/lists/samba/msg30745.html
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    --
    Conley
  11. Use the following steps to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP; this procedure forces all SMB traffic to be direct hosted. Take care in implementing this setting because it causes the Windows-based computer to be unable to communicate with earlier operating systems using SMB traffic:

    This solution absolutely worked on my small business network of 5 XP Pro SP3 machines and 3 networked printers!

Windows XP Printers