Hard Drive Limited. what can i do?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ive had 2 mobo's now, and on both the limiting factor has always been the hard drive... holding me back at 154FSB (38.5 pci)

is there any way this can be overcome?
i want 160 or 166... everything else should be able to take it!

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not the hard drive, it's the motherboard. More specifically, it's the chipset's onboard IDE controller giving you problems. You can try an IDE card, but I don't know which ones will support the PCI bus you require.

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try a board tat has a PCI divider of 5. that will let you increase the FSB to say 190 MHz, keeping the PCI speed at 38.5!

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This has been an old issue, remember the good old Asus P/I P55T2P4 430HX motherboard? It can run at a 'screaming' 83mhz bus speed!
Set your IDE ports (primary & secondery) to a slower mode (in BIOS), as mode0, mode1, mode2 etc. and try again.
This will not affect your system performance, onece Window driver loads, it will run at optimal setting (Tom said!)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ed_Phoon on 11/06/01 02:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
and where do u suggest i find a mobo that has a 1/5 multiplier hmmmm?

the only ones i know of are the to-be-released PC2700 (ddr-333) mobo's or the iwill XP333.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let's reason this out:
Both board have the same chipset VIA KT133A.
Both boards have hard drive problems at the same overclock speed.
Both boards were set up with the same drive.
Both boards have the same IDE controller built into the same chipset.
Hard drives cannot be overclocked.
Where do you think the problem lies?

Back to you Tom...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
okay. i getcha point.
just didnt know if the IDE controller was a via product, though tit might vary between mobo makers. apparently not.

tah

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The native IDE controller (two channels) is built within the southbridge. Boards with second controllers (four channels), such as RAID boards, use whatever the manufacturer chooses for the third and forth channel that are controlled by an additional chip, but the two main channels still use the native controller built into the chipset. My advice would be to try an add-in PCI IDE controller card.

Back to you Tom...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm
u think i will see any difference if i swap to my onboard raid controller then? (AMI american megatrends)
come to think of it... ugh... need to install drivers ack. cant be bothered.
150mhz is nice... with a bit of leway between it and 154.