Recommend me a good gaming mouse and keyboard

zuyah

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Can someone recommend me a good mouse and keyboard setup for gaming. My cheap keyboard and mouse are not cutting it.

just got a Qpad mk 85 with cherry reds. and i gotta say its impressive. its nt as noisy as some mechanicals and its soft linear switches lend themselves well to fps gaming, making things like double key tap easy. i was gonna get the mk80 with cherry browns direct from q-Pad as they offer the choice of any key type with what ever regional layout you want. some will prefer heavier linear blacks, while others will prefer clicky and tactile blues or tactile browns. the last to being better for typing. but to be honest the reds are just as good especially when you add O rings to stop you bottoming out the key... this mk 85 is actually 1 of the better gaming keyboards out there and does have full nkrol via usb (some sites say it doesnt but i have tested it and it does). it also doesnt have any issue of not allowing me to get to bios on my x58 but some reports say it does have an issue with uefi bios's

it is fully led backlit in red which makes a change from blue although i would have liked the ability to change the colours or even the led colours of certain key combos but for £99.99 i got there top of the line product for £50 off im not gonna complain to much. at that price point it is the best gaming keyboard you can buy @its rrp of £129.99-£149.99 its the second best. only being beaten by the CM Storm Trigger Mechanical Keyboard which comes in at £99.98 having 6key rollover which is why i didnt buy it.

if you can get the mk 85 like i did for £99.99 (@play.com) or the storm trigger for the same, you will have a difficult choice the only real difference is the nkrol and the led's the storm trigger allows you to light up wasd and the arrow keys only as well as the keyboard and its macro keys are easier to get to for mmo players but saying as i dont use em and prefer the fully lit keyboard the mk 85 is for me the best money can buy.

as for gaming mice. logitech do a good range. the g400 leading the pack followed by the g500 gx9 and if you really must the g700 wireless.
razer have some nice mice but currently have build quality issues so i would say stay clear for the moment. cyborg rat series are good if a little on the expensive side for what you get and again have consistent build quality issues. the vengance gaming seires by corsair are very good. and the roccat kone and kova + are worth a look..
lastly the zowie ec2 is 1 of the most accurate mice available it doesnt have much in the way of extras or style but it does the job very well.

dragoboi

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Based on the feedback for that mouse it looks pretty comfortable and worth it, but im not a complete pro on peripherals. I have a TT eSports Black and it is a great mouse.

blackrockets

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Keyboard:
i highly suggest the corsair k90 keyboard, it look great, feels great, and has all the features u could want, and the backlighting is very nice, can see it clearly in daylight. you might not like the cherry mx red switches, they are nice for gaming but annoying to type when you first get it, they press very easly so my fingers were tripping over keys for the first couple weeks, but they are also the quietest of the cherry switches(still louder than rubber dome though). even though the entire keyboard isnt cheery switche sit doesnt bother me much, you can diffinitely tell when u are pressing a rubber dome, but you get used to the change. the software for macroing is simple, but its also kinda hard to get used, it one of those things where u say "ohhh, that pretty easy" once you figure out how everything works.

mouse:
for a mouse, i recomend the cyborg rat 9, i admit its a wierd looking mouse, but its sooooo comfy cuz all the adjustment, my hands just lays on it perfectly. even though its wireless there is no lag at all, dont listen to people saying the battery life sucks,it comes with 2 batteries, never gotta plug it to wait it to charge again :D, while gaming hard it lasts about 6 hours, and ive gotten it down to 8 seconds to swap it out. there are only 2 downsides(or maybe 1, but they arnt really downsides), its very sensative, like if a piece of dust gets stuck on the laser, one of the axis wont work, but its an easy fix, all i gotta do is turn it over and blow on it and it works again, dont think this happens all the time, like maybe once a week, not much of a problem and i doubt they can do anything to fix it. on to my second downside, it needs a hard surface(or a desk mat, that works good for me and its clear), but any mouse will benefit from it, i suggest getting a hard mouse pad, doesnt really work on the felt ones. the dpi switcher is pretty much standard nowadays on nice gaming mice and the sniper button isnt that rare. the side scroll wheel isnt that amazing, i just use it for extra macros. the weight adujustment is starndard on nice mice. but what makes this mouse stand out is that its very egronomic(?) and it wireless with no lag.

i don't suggest getting razer stuff, i have the mamba and lycossa, and ive tried other mice and keyboard from them.
-my lycossa started breaking after 9 months(keys were sticking and getting me killed), but i got it replaced for free and fairly hassle free, so thats a plus, also its anti ghosting sucked, could only press 4 keys
-mamba is a nice mouse, to look at, i mean its good, but the fact that it has to be plugged in somtimes really put me off
-black widow keyboard, the full cheery keys is nice, but im not a fan of the cherry blue switches
-death adder, nice mouse, but nothing noteable

main reason i dont like them is that they just feel cheap and they are going to break, i doubt they do break extremely easily but i like having stuff that doesnt bend and squeek. and that also while i like the rat 9 and k90, the rat 9 feels frickin solid with the aluminum, and it even has a bunch of moving parts, its its got that weight to make it feel nice too. same thing with the k90, the brushed aluminum looks awesome with the blue backlighting and it gives it that solid feel

COZ ITS A CRAP KEYBOARD... we aint raggin on you but the lycosta is all bells and whistles and you can get just as good or better for less money. yeah you like it, but you likely havent tried a mechanical keyboard i guarentee 1s you do you will loook at the dome keyboards the same way i now do. and thats with distane.. i dunno how i put up with the squishy feel of em. switching back was like a return to my old amiga keyboard. like a welcome home or putting on a pair of old comfy shoes.
truth be told you can get a basic mechanical keyboard for the same money as the lycosta and get a much better all be it basic keyboard. which is way way better for actual key presses. yeah its nice to have things like backlighting but for basic functionality the lycosta is seriously lacking if you look at it without bias... really it looks great as with all the current razer keyboards, but thats it.
dont get me wrong i was a fan of razer but as there rep for gaming gear grew there build quality fell off. then others caught up and went past em at high speed.
take coolermaster for instance. 2-3 years ago they made cases and psu's. now they produce some of the better mice and 2 pretty decent keyboards. in the trigger and k60. thermaltake have also jumped into keyboards and have 8-9 reasonable/decent and very good keyboards in there ttesports series. the meka range especially are very good.
razer on the otherhand give us the black widow. it has 3-6key roll over, meaning on the wasd and other fps keys you can press 6 keys and they will all register but on the other key they stop registering between 4-6 keys at a time because of the way they created there gaming matrix. they actually gimped there own keyboard in quite a bad way... thats the reason there selling for as little as 70 because no1 is buying them and them that do tend to send em back as soon as they realize they aint that good.

zowie have started making gaming parts and they are making a name for themselves very quickly. although there keyboards are a little less refined than some they are still worth a look if you like bright colours. there mice are some of the best available at the price.

logitech have yet to produce a mechanical keyboard but when they do be assured it will blow us away.

q-pad are a company i had never heard off till i started looking for mechanical keyboards. and to be honest im stunned by the quality and options they give for the 3 gaming models they offer. you can pick the key type and layout for a small premium and ship it direct from them. if you get it from an online etailor your gonna be stuck with a very average keyboard but if you change the switches to red or black you can have a stunning piece of kit. i just got the mk 85 cherry reds and i gotta say i love it... im not a fan of red led's normally but on as keyboard they work better for me than the blue due to me being dyslexic. the red letters dont jump about as much as the blues did on my g11. the only issue you will have is that when i got it last week it was 99.99 but this week its back up to its full price of 130-150...
lastly. das, if you know of em you want there keyboards... they dont do gaming peripherals as such but there keyboards are hard to beat for general use.

DomDunes

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I second the Razer Deathadder. Had it for months now love it. Has a matte finish that give a smooth tight grip and it curve to your hand so your not holding everything but your fingertips up in the air. Plus it looks awesome.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

That doesn't make it a good keyboard.

I've got some cheapo £5 keyboards that are 2 years old, still work and do their job but that doesn't mean they're good keyboards.

Razer make some good mice (the DeathAdder especially), but their keyboards and headsets are crap. The Lycosa is really bad, it uses naff scissor switch keys, keys randomly stop working, keys stick and the media keys have a mind of their own.

Its just an overpriced £5 Microsoft, Dell, Logitech board with backlighting.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I didn't have any of those problems.

Just like 560ti soc gigabyte worked flawlessly right out of the box with no tearing or anything.

I guess i was lucky ?

I dono but i love my keyboard, that's why i recommended.

TRENDING THREADS