Steam downloads keep crashing upon startup and redownloading.

glorb

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
It's infuriating. And I thought AOL dial-up was garbage. I've had 2 computers, and 2 internet services and the same thing happened on both computers and both services. It will download, the rate constantly dropping to 0KB/S then back up, all over the place. Then the game crashes when I attempt to start it, and redownloads a huge file. The latest annoyance: Skyrim is trying to make a 2.5GB update, and as soon as it finishes and I try to play it, it crashes and downloads the entire 2.5GB update, and it's done that 5 or 6 times. I had just re-installed Windows from scratch and it's still happening. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is it a problem with Steam? If I play Crysis 2, it defaults to Ultra settings, so my computer can easily handle any game out there.

DM186

Splendid
Yeah I agree you net connect is not good. You can use this to check you speed. For some reason you are not fully downloading the game the most important files. You can try this after you download the game.

Go into Steam and verify integrity of game cache before you play the game and if you don't know how let us know and we will give you a blow by blow on how to do it. Good luck to you.

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/

glorb

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
My download speed at 3:00pm is 1Mb/s and ping is 305ms according to speedtest.net. I do plenty of downloading and Steam is the only thing in which downloads constantly derail. I downloaded a 3GB rar file of drivers, using Internet Explorer the other day, and it worked fine. I live in Okinawa, and the internet sucks on base, but most games on sale here require Steam. And if all other downloads works, even if sort of slow, I don't see why Steam constantly fails.

Oh yeah, I disconnected to router and plugged my PC directly into the modem awhile ago, and it didn't help things.

glorb

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
At this point I'm thinking Steam is rubbish. Maybe they don't have any content servers in Asia, and if they do it's a pretty shi**y server. Cause speedtest gave me 3.21mb/s (at 1:30am) yet Steam is stuck at 0KB/S, with a peak download rate of 16KB/s.

DM186

Splendid
Yeah when I had to down load Shogun 2 from Steam it took over 8 hours to completely down load the game. But my down load was not interrupted and my game at first did not do so good.

I ended up down loading it 3 times and had to do the verify integrity of game cache deal about 5 times before it finally played right. My down load speat is 5.47 and up load .56. So I am not too far from you.

You might try the verify integrity of game cache and if you don't know how I will list the step by step just incase. Let us know if it helped or not ok? Good luck.

Note: When in Steam, left click on Games. Then left click on view Games Library. Right click on the Game. Then left click on properties. Then left click on local files. Then left click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.