How to overclock an HP PIII 650?

G

I've been playing around with overclocking, I had an Abit LX6 with a Celeron 566 overclocked to around 818MHz (using Abit's not-exactly 100MHz seting for the board).
But I recently purchased an HP with a PIII 650 in it and an i815 chipset. BIOS has no overclocking settings and there are no jumpers. A guy in one of my classes told me someone in here posted on how to overclock processors on OEM boards, something about modifying the pins? I tested the processor on my brother's Abit board and it did 866MHz when I increased the bus frequency to 133MHz.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I doubt there is a way to overclock a board from one of money hungry manufacturers (especially HP). I dont know about this whole "modifying" pins though, I dont really understand how you can do such a thing.

G

But he has a Celeron 633 running at 950 on his HP, and says a guy in here told him how to do it a few months ago!

G

This post helped a little, a guy named Crashman posted it a while back, I was looking for it in the wrong forum or else he posted it in the wrong forum.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1
He said-
"OK, I was reading on of Intel's PIII spec sheets. Turns out if you bend away the BSEL0 pin on the Celeron Coppermine FC-PGA, it is detected as a 100MHz FSB processor. By the same token, if you bend away the BSEL1 pin on a PIII 100FSB processor, it is detected as 133FSB. Further, by hot wiring certain pins, you can change the voltage. So I have to quit telling people that they cannot overclock.

I tested the Celeron with the BSEL0 pin bent away on a Hewlet Packard motherboard, it works fine and is detected as an 850 instead of a 566!

Heads up everyone! Time to overclock those POS OEM systems!

Hero of the day!"

He says how to do it, and goes into further detail about voltage detection pins, but how do I know which pins are which? Is there any sites that post the pin numbers and descriptions?

G

Hey, it doesn't mention the BSEL pins for changing the FSB, but I think Crashman covered that, and best of all, the BSEL pins are included in the diagram at that site! Now how do I know which corner is showing?