Memory Overclockability

G

Within the next month I'm going to be buying a brand new system. I'm pretty new to overclocking but...

I'm going to be buying whatever the fastest Athlon XP is at the time. There is a good chance I will be getting a water coolant system, maybe the new and improved one that Tom recently reviewed by Koolance (I wish they had a version with the Enermax 431Watt PSU).

I want to overclock as much as possible. (Hence the water cooler instead of fans). What kind of memory do I need to get?

Will the cheap PC2100 from Crucial overclock to PC2400 CAS2? PC2700 CAS2? Maybe I should get the Corsair PC2400 CAS2 from Newegg? Or maybe pure overclocking memory (PC2700 or so).

How far can I expect to get with each variety? At what point can I expect to need a heat spreader or a fan for the memory.

How far have you overclocked with the NEW Koolance case? Any feedback would be beneficial.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd get 2700, then you should be safe at whatever speed and settings you want to put it at.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Yeah, but if someone has had no problems with the Corsair PC2400 or even the Crucial, then I want to pay as little of a premium as possible.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

G

premium preformance comes at a premium price. You can't get quilted 2-ply toilet paper for the same price as a roll of scott single ply!!

My signature really sucks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
That was the single strangest analogy I've ever heard in my entire life.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Strange yes but correct right? Strange is good ordinary sucks!

My signature really sucks.

G

I understand your analogy, but I don't know that it's completely true in computers.

I know it's easy to get CAS 2 out of Crucial CAS2.5 PC2100. I've heard it's easy to get it up to 150mhz too.

So could I do that same thing with the Corsair?