Ever since I did a full recovery - (reinstalled XP) my Compaq Presario does
not communicate with my HP deskjet 3320. The printer drivers are installed,
printers and faxes in control panel "sees" the printer, it is set as the
default printer and says it is ready. I bought another deskjet printer and
had the same problem - the drivers were installed, but there is no
communicaion to the printer.

It's not a hardware problem, the printer and USB cable works fine with other
computers. I spent many hours on the phone with HP support and they concluded
it is a WIndows problem. Judging from the number of posts on the same problem
with other deskjets, I have to conclude this is true. I have
uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers many times. Is there a solution to this,
or have recent XP updates rendered it incompatible with my printer?

Did you try uninstalling the USB ports and letting XP reinstall them on the
restart of your PC? Do your USB ports work fine with other USB devices?
www.coribright.com

"jrubinupst8NY" wrote:

> Ever since I did a full recovery - (reinstalled XP) my Compaq Presario does
> not communicate with my HP deskjet 3320. The printer drivers are installed,
> printers and faxes in control panel "sees" the printer, it is set as the
> default printer and says it is ready. I bought another deskjet printer and
> had the same problem - the drivers were installed, but there is no
> communicaion to the printer.
>
> It's not a hardware problem, the printer and USB cable works fine with other
> computers. I spent many hours on the phone with HP support and they concluded
> it is a WIndows problem. Judging from the number of posts on the same problem
> with other deskjets, I have to conclude this is true. I have
> uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers many times. Is there a solution to this,
> or have recent XP updates rendered it incompatible with my printer?

I have not tried uninstalling the USB ports and letting Windows reinstall
them. I will try that. However, the ports all work fine with other USB
devices (camera, scanner, memory stick)

"jrubinupst8NY" wrote:

> Ever since I did a full recovery - (reinstalled XP) my Compaq Presario does
> not communicate with my HP deskjet 3320. The printer drivers are installed,
> printers and faxes in control panel "sees" the printer, it is set as the
> default printer and says it is ready. I bought another deskjet printer and
> had the same problem - the drivers were installed, but there is no
> communicaion to the printer.
>
> It's not a hardware problem, the printer and USB cable works fine with other
> computers. I spent many hours on the phone with HP support and they concluded
> it is a WIndows problem. Judging from the number of posts on the same problem
> with other deskjets, I have to conclude this is true. I have
> uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers many times. Is there a solution to this,
> or have recent XP updates rendered it incompatible with my printer?

Hi
Try the following steps in sequence

1. start>run> type regedit
2. in registry editor click on the Plus sign for H Key Local Machine
3. click the plus sign for system
4. click the plus sign for current control set
5. click the plus sign for Enum
6. click the plus sign for USB
7. under usb there will be many vid folders, open every folder and look
for the serial number for your printer. if found delete the
corresponding vid folder. could be more than one vid folders.
8. unplug the usb cable from COMPUTER.Restart the computer. uninstall
the software and then reinstall

--
KhannaSu

Okay, I tried that (deleting folders with the printer s/n in the regisry,
below) . Got a message: "Cannot delete [Vid folder]: error deleting key"
Of course, this is really frustrating. I haven't been able to print from my
PC for six months. THe printer works fine when hooked up to laptops with
Windows 2000 and an earlier version of XP. I bought a new deskjet and that
one didn't work with my PC either.
I am not a Microsoft basher - I like their stuff. But this all started
happening when I
1. Ran windows update back in January of last year, which caused a lot of
other problems and then 2. Did a full restore .

It's a fifty dollar printer. I can buy another one, but how can I be sure it
won't keep happening, like it has with the last new printer I bought? Do I
need to try another brand of printer?