Can't chose share printer

When I try to chose share this printer I get a message that says: Printer
setting could not be saved. Operation could not be competed. I can't figure
out why and how to get it to let me choose share. Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about chose share printer

    Are you an Administrator?
    www.coribright.com

    "Teachtech" <Teachtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to chose share this printer I get a message that says: Printer
    > setting could not be saved. Operation could not be competed. I can't
    > figure
    > out why and how to get it to let me choose share. Any ideas?

    Has the share name been used previously? Use a unique share name. I have
    seen this when one attempts to unshare PRINTER1 then change the printer2
    sharename to PRINTER1. The spooler keeps the PRINTER1 share associated with
    the original printer even though it is no longer shared (in the case where
    you stop sharing then enable again later). Change the PRINTER1 sharename to
    another name, then change the printer2 to PRINTER1. Then unshare the
    original printer.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Are you an Administrator?
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Teachtech" <Teachtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to chose share this printer I get a message that says:
    Printer
    > > setting could not be saved. Operation could not be competed. I can't
    > > figure
    > > out why and how to get it to let me choose share. Any ideas?

    This is XP home and I don't use any log in. I'm wondering if an adminstrator
    is set up or is their a default one?
    Thanks,

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > Are you an Administrator?
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Teachtech" <Teachtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to chose share this printer I get a message that says: Printer
    > > setting could not be saved. Operation could not be competed. I can't
    > > figure
    > > out why and how to get it to let me choose share. Any ideas?

    Oops, the above was me, I didn't realize what it had displayed for a name.
    Anyway, I haven't shared printers before, so it should be a unique name, but
    I'll try something else.

    "Cindy" wrote:

    > This is XP home and I don't use any log in. I'm wondering if an adminstrator
    > is set up or is their a default one?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Are you an Administrator?
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "Teachtech" <Teachtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I try to chose share this printer I get a message that says: Printer
    > > > setting could not be saved. Operation could not be competed. I can't
    > > > figure
    > > > out why and how to get it to let me choose share. Any ideas?

Microsoft Printers Windows XP