who buy a boxed atlon xp?the fan is good?

G

Never owned an AMD CPU, but will have to say NO. I recently bought a Retail Version of the P4 and that HSF sux. It's been my experince that Intel's HSF were made that once you put the damn thing on, to never take it off. I didn't like the Slot 1 locks, and the P4 HSF is a pain in the ass to remove once up put it on. Best advice is to purchase an after market product.

Mylar

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, but usually the retail fan is decent, and using it keeps with the warranty..
using a different fan, as far as i understand, voids the warranty.
that is why, if you want better than adequate cooling for your cpu, you buy the oem cpu, and throw on the latest or greatest hsf with some arctic silver...that way, you will not have a problem with the heat...
so if you want a hsf that will work, but give you just ok heat dissipation, then go ahead with the retail box...
but if you want better than adequate cooling, get an oem cpu, and a hsf that works better...
the thermaltake volcano7 just came out, and is supposed to be pretty good...you might want to look into that...
or for the best mounting possible, go for a heatsink that utilizes the 4 mounting holes on your motherboard...those will hold the hsf very good, and you will not have to worry about it moving after installation...
i hope that helps...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

David,

On that note, I prefer to purchase the Retail version because it comes w/ a 3 yr warrany rather than a 30 day dealer warranty. If you ever have a problem w/ your CPU, the manufacturer is never going to know that you weren't using the supplied HSF.

Mylar

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i think that the warranty is 90 days, and usually, with things like cpus and ram, if it is going to go bad, it will go bad within 15 days...
and i think that at fry's, it is either a 90 day warranty, or a year...not sure...but i know it is more than 30 days..
and i think that is fine...
i havent had a problem with any oem cpu that i have bought (KNOCK ON WOOD), and even though the heatsink is adequate, i would rather be more in the green when it comes to temperature...
but i think that is kinda personal preference...if you like the warranty, and dont care about overclocking, or heat, then go ahead with the retail boxed....but if you want to overclock, and want better heat dissipation, then go for oem...
pretty much personal prefence...
for my older sisters computer, i put in a retail athlon 1gig...but that was because i wanted everything in there to be on a warranty because she is up in northern california, and i am in southern...
and if she has to, she can return it easily, without any problems...
and she wont be overclocking...and wont need to worry about heat too much...she doesnt game much...so heat isnt a big problem.

-DAvid

G

If you don't overclock, and have a reasonably ventilated case, you will be fine with the retail HSF.

CPU lifetime (and most hardware for that matter) will be affected by the temperature extremes and number of heat cycles it experiences, but the retail warranty is 3 years. How many of us keep the same CPU that long.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I agree... If you don't OC then you don't need a HSF combo other than your retail combo.

<b>Oh Mrs. Green...I'm looking at you...You wore green so you could hide - Caddyshack</b> :lol:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the fan that comes with retail processors is most likely worth like $12-$15 (US)....which isnt that much...
the fans that they use arent even that quiet....i mean the arent LOUD, but they arent the quietest...
oh yeah, and couldnt they tell if you were not using the retail fan if there is no thermal pad indentation, or any thermal pad on the cpu?
i mean, the thermal pad does melt, and i dont think that AMD or INTEL would want you to use something other than the pad that they put on the heatsink....and if there is no thermal pad on the cpu, then they might get suspicious...but i have never looked at that....like taken the retail heatsink off a cpu, that was actually using the thermal pad..
but i bet if you read the agreement, it would say not to remove the thermal pad.
anyone confirm this fact?

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
sorry, it was just a joke

because a fan cost few dollars face off the cpu

so why bying a retail package that we don't know instead off the cpu first & then the right cooling fan which fit us needs & us budget (now you can compare price/perf :cool: )

the warranty is not credible
keep your fan for 3 years, what for ?
next year you'll buy another...

but maybe you have another opinion...

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labdog on 12/23/01 07:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i personally think that buying a retail cpu is OK, if you are not planning on running your computer under 50*C. if you would like to keep your cpu running under 50*C, then you can either buy a retail one, for the warranty that wont do you much good since, like you said labdog, keep your fan (and cpu) for three years? yeah right, and have a 3 year old, slow in comparison to everything else computer?!?!?!
in about two or three months i am probably going to upgrade my processor....and i have only had this processor for like a month now....heh...
and yeah...what i usually do is buy the oem cpu's and then buy a heatsink that is going to effectively cool the given cpu...

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
sorry, i don't understand your explanation

just that i said is to buy separately each because
i think

1) you can choice your fan in function of your budget & your needs (few $... high budget, unusual user, addict, hard gamers, overclockers)

2) you will don't use the fan warranty
i think in majority cases, the fan will don't fell brakedown
(of course, there is some exceptions)

21) it is a not complicated mechanism
22) they are created to work well about the warranty time

3) you will have to change it before the end of the warranty
(informatics components change & progress every 3 months)

but perhaps i forget something...

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

G

the new swiftech mcx462b are your choice! it will fit just your needs, keeps your cpu at 32-26C all the time