socket 370 tabs broken help

G

Anyone know what kind of heatsink will work on the tabs on a socket 370 socket that arent the usal on the socket? I bought a fan and heatsink at my local computer shop and the darn fans tabs that attach to the plastic tabs broke one off. I need to get a fan and heatsink that will connect to the larger tabs on a socket tabs. Also one other thing, the heatsink has to be slim, the motherboard I have has two sockets a slot one next to the other. I have seen a wire connecter for the larger tabs on a socket 7 mb but don't know where to start to look. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Yep, did the same thing... broke the plastic HSF tab off the socket...
2 solutions:

1. Use MarineTex 2 part epoxy and glue it back on. This fixed mine just fine!
MarineTex is great epoxy - Strong stuff... Been holdin mine for over a year now!
Be neat, let it set overnite - good as new...

2. Artic Silver HeatSink Adhesive - That'll fix ya up too. Just perminately stick the heatsink to the CPU! And Artic Silver isn't to only one that makes thermal adhesive, there are others around. But Artic Silver heatsink Adhesive is easy to find and is great for coolin about any chip ya need to cool!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i dont know how good of an idea permanently affixing the hsf to the cpu....what happens when you need to clean the heatsink?
it might transfer heat the same, but i dont think it would..
i would suggest the epoxy method. and i have heard good things about the marinetex type...and yeah, it is strong...
but putting it on the cpu permanently, that might end up being more of a problem than a solution...
i dont mean to put you down CompSci, but it causes problems on my friends k62-450, because you cant really clean the heatsink...you can just dust it...and washing the hs, by itself brings it back to looking and performing like the day it was bought.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think Taisol make sinks that used all the tabs on the 370 socket - you could look at those.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

well, I bought a fan that uses the left over tabs, this fan aparently was so tight(straight from the factory) that over a short period of time after instalation the remaning anchor tab broke off, I lost my new $275 cpu and my $159 motherboard. I spoke to the company who advised me on what fan to chose and told them the damage it caused but they said they are not resposnible. Oh by the way the company is nexfan.com. I am now using an older mb and cpu that I had before I upgraded to the melt down system. If anyone know's on how to sue the company for the items lost. I was told my only recourse is to go to the town and state where the item(the fan) was purchased. Which would be insane due to the costs just to get there and court cost. I was hopeing that there would be some recourse over the net.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i think the dragon orbs use all the lugs on the socket...
you could make your own clip, but would have to make sure it is tight...and will not hit anything.i dont know of anyone who has made their own clip, but it couldnt be that difficult...
if you know someone who has a dragon orb, then you could copy their clip...just make it so that it fits your hsf.

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What cooler were you using? I've used lots of stuff from them and never had a problem, but then I'm not foolish enough to try an Orb if that's what you used. And what happened to your CPU?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

I don't think it is an orb. It is a rectangular and has two fans on it. it is aluminum and is a brass color.

G

I still have the cpu but when I tried to get the system to run (get out of the energy saving mode, the screen black) there was no response. I still have the motherboard and cpu, but if they were not working wouldn't they be garbage now?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
For sure, stickin the HeatSink perminately to the CPU may not be the optimal(especially for overclockers and max preformance), but isn't that exactly what
HeatSink "Adhesive" is for? And don't a lot of highend OEM's(IBM, Sun, HP, and Compaq) do it as standard practice all the time?

From ArticSivler themselves - "Arctic Silver Adhesive (Ultra Premium Thermal Adhesive Compound) This is the stuff you should use to glue on those small chip heatsinks..."

While I don't think I'd prefer to "Stick" the HS on, I don't think I'd be afraid too... Just stick on one "Known" to be more than adaquate, and with fins that can hold a good fan/fans... If I ever have problems with my epoxied tab again, I'm just gonna "Adhere" one on and find out!

It'd be better than pitchin a good MOBO... And a pretty common practice on biger production boxes...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
only thing is, that is a lot of stress to put on the core.
what you could do if you were going to epoxy the hs on the cpu, is to get a nice shim...and spoxy that to the cpu..
then get a nice hsf, that has a perfectly flat bottom, and epoxy that to the shim, and use as2 on the core, not epoxy.
then if you ever really have to take the hsf off, then there is a chance.
if you were to try and do this with it attatched to the core, then it might split the core.
or pull it off..
plus, as2 will transfer the heat a bit better.
my friend bought this cheap hsf from fry's, which was going on his k6-2, and put it on, thinking it had a thermal pad on it.
the kind that melts and is like gum.
but then one day when he was trying to pull the cpu out of the socket, to try it on another board, he couldnt get the hsf off.
he thought it was just the thermal pad adhering a bit.
so he unhooked it from the tabs, and pulled.
it pulled the cpu out of the socket, with the lever down, and bent a few pins.
well, i am happy to say that he brought it here, and we were able to get the pins straightened out, and i told him that there was frag tape on the bottom of the hsf..which didnt make sense...
that stuff transfers heat really poorly.

but i would definately say, do not epoxy directly to your core...too much stress.
epoxy shim to cpu, on the ceramic, and then hsf to shim.
that should work.
but i would rather not risk it, and use the mounting holse on the mobo.

-DAvid

TRENDING THREADS