Fax

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line is
disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
--
CEW
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual messages
    during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly in
    Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:60BF70F3-30D0-4779-AC27-816FF11D0C95@microsoft.com...
    >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
    > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line
    > is
    > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
    > --
    > CEW
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I received no unusal messages; modem is fine and I have administrator
    privileges - I am the only user.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual messages
    > during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly in
    > Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:60BF70F3-30D0-4779-AC27-816FF11D0C95@microsoft.com...
    > >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
    > > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line
    > > is
    > > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
    > > --
    > > CEW
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I decided to uninstall MS fax services and re-boot and re-install; I could
    not un-install because a file custsat.dll on Messenger is needed and it
    cannot be found. How can I correct this?

    "Cheryl" wrote:

    > I received no unusal messages; modem is fine and I have administrator
    > privileges - I am the only user.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual messages
    > > during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly in
    > > Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:60BF70F3-30D0-4779-AC27-816FF11D0C95@microsoft.com...
    > > >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
    > > > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line
    > > > is
    > > > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
    > > > --
    > > > CEW
    > >
    > >
    > >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have no idea.
    Welcome to the world of SP2. I've been bitten by more serious bugs on SP2
    than any of the others so far. We'll just have to see if Micrisoft ever
    figures this one out of if anyone else can repro this. If we get enough
    steps to repro I can at least forward that information to the developers.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:DB37A1CC-B315-46D6-B941-90987680854E@microsoft.com...
    >I decided to uninstall MS fax services and re-boot and re-install; I could
    > not un-install because a file custsat.dll on Messenger is needed and it
    > cannot be found. How can I correct this?
    >
    > "Cheryl" wrote:
    >
    >> I received no unusal messages; modem is fine and I have administrator
    >> privileges - I am the only user.
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual
    >> > messages
    >> > during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly
    >> > in
    >> > Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
    >> > --
    >> > Russ Valentine
    >> > [MVP-Outlook]
    >> > "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > news:60BF70F3-30D0-4779-AC27-816FF11D0C95@microsoft.com...
    >> > >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax
    >> > >using
    >> > > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone
    >> > > line
    >> > > is
    >> > > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any
    >> > > ideas?
    >> > > --
    >> > > CEW
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    > I have no idea.
    > Welcome to the world of SP2. I've been bitten by more serious bugs on SP2
    > than any of the others so far. We'll just have to see if Micrisoft ever
    > figures this one out of if anyone else can repro this. If we get enough
    > steps to repro I can at least forward that information to the developers.

    Russ:

    Your observation seems to run counter to those of your fellow MVPs, some
    of whom seem to be in a state of deep denial that SP2 is causing *any*
    problems. As one whose previously stable and scrupulously clean system
    was hosed by SP2, I'm glad to see at least one MVP can see clearly. It's
    also good to see and MVP who isn't afraid to say "I have no idea" when
    he has no idea rather than cutting and pasting some link to an
    irrelevant KB article. Thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have the same problem, after installing SP2 my MS Fax does not find my
    modem. I have tried un-installing both MS Fax and the Modem rebooting
    when the modem is found and software installed and then re-installing
    MS Fax everything looks OK but then you find that MS Fax still canot
    find the modem - we have a problem?
    Adrian

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    > *Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual
    > messages
    > during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear
    > correctly in
    > Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:60BF70F3-30D0-4779-AC27-816FF11D0C95@microsoft.com...
    > >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a
    > fax using
    > > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the
    > phone line
    > > is
    > > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any
    > ideas?
    > > --
    > > CEW *


    --
    fkend
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1059730.html
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    The loading of MS Fax goes without problem but it cannot find my Smart
    Link 56K Voice Modem so I pointed it at a generic 56K modem but it
    still does not accept it.?


    fkend wrote:
    > *I have the same problem, after installing SP2 my MS Fax does not
    > find my modem. I have tried un-installing both MS Fax and the Modem
    > rebooting when the modem is found and software installed and then
    > re-installing MS Fax everything looks OK but then you find that MS
    > Fax still canot find the modem - we have a problem?
    > Adrian *


    --
    fkend
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1059730.html
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I am afraid, that is not the correct thing to do. Can you please uninstall
    the Modem, Reboot and install the Modem again. You can use the Plug & Play
    installation if it works. Otherwise install the Modem software from the
    original CD.

    --
    R. Sridharan [MSFT]
    Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
    purposes only.'

    "fkend" <fkend.1dqkd7@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
    news:fkend.1dqkd7@mail.mcse.ms...
    >
    > The loading of MS Fax goes without problem but it cannot find my Smart
    > Link 56K Voice Modem so I pointed it at a generic 56K modem but it
    > still does not accept it.?
    >
    >
    >
    > fkend wrote:
    > > *I have the same problem, after installing SP2 my MS Fax does not
    > > find my modem. I have tried un-installing both MS Fax and the Modem
    > > rebooting when the modem is found and software installed and then
    > > re-installing MS Fax everything looks OK but then you find that MS
    > > Fax still canot find the modem - we have a problem?
    > > Adrian *
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > fkend
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1059730.html
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Fax Microsoft Windows XP