cheryl

I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line is
disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
--
CEW

Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual messages
during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly in
Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
> fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line
> is
> disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
> --
> CEW

cheryl

I received no unusal messages; modem is fine and I have administrator
privileges - I am the only user.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual messages
> during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly in
> Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
> > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line
> > is
> > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
> > --
> > CEW

cheryl

I decided to uninstall MS fax services and re-boot and re-install; I could
not un-install because a file custsat.dll on Messenger is needed and it
cannot be found. How can I correct this?

"Cheryl" wrote:

> I received no unusal messages; modem is fine and I have administrator
> privileges - I am the only user.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual messages
> > during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly in
> > Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I just recently installed Service Pack 2 for XP. I cannot send a fax using
> > > fax console. Message says that no dial is present or that the phone line
> > > is
> > > disconnected. The line is connected and there is a dial tone. Any ideas?
> > > --
> > > CEW

I have no idea.
Welcome to the world of SP2. I've been bitten by more serious bugs on SP2
than any of the others so far. We'll just have to see if Micrisoft ever
figures this one out of if anyone else can repro this. If we get enough
steps to repro I can at least forward that information to the developers.
--
>I decided to uninstall MS fax services and re-boot and re-install; I could
> not un-install because a file custsat.dll on Messenger is needed and it
> cannot be found. How can I correct this?
>
> "Cheryl" wrote:
>
>> I received no unusal messages; modem is fine and I have administrator
>> privileges - I am the only user.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>>
>> > Now that's odd. Haven't seen this one yet. Did you get any unusual
>> > messages
>> > during the installation of SP2? Does your modem still appear correctly
>> > in
>> > Device Manager? Do you have administrator privileges on this PC?
>> > --
>> > Russ Valentine
>> > [MVP-Outlook]
>> > "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> I have no idea.
> Welcome to the world of SP2. I've been bitten by more serious bugs on SP2
> than any of the others so far. We'll just have to see if Micrisoft ever
> figures this one out of if anyone else can repro this. If we get enough
> steps to repro I can at least forward that information to the developers.

Russ:

Your observation seems to run counter to those of your fellow MVPs, some
of whom seem to be in a state of deep denial that SP2 is causing *any*
problems. As one whose previously stable and scrupulously clean system
was hosed by SP2, I'm glad to see at least one MVP can see clearly. It's
also good to see and MVP who isn't afraid to say "I have no idea" when
he has no idea rather than cutting and pasting some link to an
irrelevant KB article. Thanks.

I have the same problem, after installing SP2 my MS Fax does not find my
modem. I have tried un-installing both MS Fax and the Modem rebooting
when the modem is found and software installed and then re-installing
MS Fax everything looks OK but then you find that MS Fax still canot
find the modem - we have a problem?
Adrian

--
fkend

The loading of MS Fax goes without problem but it cannot find my Smart
Link 56K Voice Modem so I pointed it at a generic 56K modem but it
still does not accept it.?

--
fkend

I am afraid, that is not the correct thing to do. Can you please uninstall
the Modem, Reboot and install the Modem again. You can use the Plug & Play
installation if it works. Otherwise install the Modem software from the
original CD.

--
R. Sridharan [MSFT]

purposes only.'

"fkend" <fkend.1dqkd7@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> The loading of MS Fax goes without problem but it cannot find my Smart
> Link 56K Voice Modem so I pointed it at a generic 56K modem but it
> still does not accept it.?
>

> fkend wrote:
> > *I have the same problem, after installing SP2 my MS Fax does not
> > find my modem. I have tried un-installing both MS Fax and the Modem
> > rebooting when the modem is found and software installed and then
> > re-installing MS Fax everything looks OK but then you find that MS
> > Fax still canot find the modem - we have a problem?
> > Adrian *
>

> --
> fkend

TRENDING THREADS