spoolsv.exe takes up all CPU resources

September 15, 2004 1:03:53 AM

Apparently Spoolsv.exe starts up every time we boot the
workstation and then we can't do any work with the
computer. Reviewed Task Manager and discovered that
spoolsv.exe takes up all availble CPU processing (99%)
and won't release it. We need to spare the printer... so
we don't know what to do about the problem. An older
computer didn't have this problem.

Help!!!!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 1:17:03 PM

what's the make and model of the print device?

There are typically two culprits to excessive spooler CPU usage. 1)
parallel port is churning and the print device is a slow laser or forms
printer (previously known as dot matrix). 2) The print driver is churning
in some endless loop.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"lost" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Apparently Spoolsv.exe starts up every time we boot the
> workstation and then we can't do any work with the
> computer. Reviewed Task Manager and discovered that
> spoolsv.exe takes up all availble CPU processing (99%)
> and won't release it. We need to spare the printer... so
> we don't know what to do about the problem. An older
> computer didn't have this problem.
>
> Help!!!!!
September 16, 2004 7:35:34 PM

Using a Canon BJ240 on a parallel port. Have tried
removing the printer and updating the driver. Still no
change. The printer is shared by others in the office so
I can't disable the print spooler, but when I do, the
computer runs fine. I've also removed the anti-virus
software, scanned for viruses using various packages,
scanned using ad-aware and made sure all updates have
been applied. Still need help!

Lost

[ln];kbhowto

confers no rights.

>"lost" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Apparently Spoolsv.exe starts up every time we boot the
>> workstation and then we can't do any work with the
>> computer. Reviewed Task Manager and discovered that
>> spoolsv.exe takes up all availble CPU processing (99%)
>> and won't release it. We need to spare the printer...
so
>> we don't know what to do about the problem. An older
>> computer didn't have this problem.
>>
>> Help!!!!!
>

>.

a b à CPUs
September 17, 2004 1:34:25 AM

If it is the BJC-240 are you using the driver shipped with XP? If you are
not, can you use the inbox driver and confirm the problem persists

What is the BIOS configuration of the parallel port. I checked on Canon's
site they infer the port should be setup in ECP mode.
here is a link to Canon top 20 questions on this device
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...

Is this XP with SP1 or SP2?

--

> Using a Canon BJ240 on a parallel port. Have tried
> removing the printer and updating the driver. Still no
> change. The printer is shared by others in the office so
> I can't disable the print spooler, but when I do, the
> computer runs fine. I've also removed the anti-virus
> software, scanned for viruses using various packages,
> scanned using ad-aware and made sure all updates have
> been applied. Still need help!
>
> Lost

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2004 1:11:16 PM

I have the same problem with a Canon S600.

I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
XP SP2

act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7963

>Is this XP with SP1 or SP2?
>
>--
>Alan Morris
>Windows Printing Team
>Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;
[ln];kbhowto

confers no rights.

>"Lost" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Using a Canon BJ240 on a parallel port. Have tried
>> removing the printer and updating the driver. Still no
>> change. The printer is shared by others in the office
so
>> I can't disable the print spooler, but when I do, the
>> computer runs fine. I've also removed the anti-virus
>> software, scanned for viruses using various packages,
>> scanned using ad-aware and made sure all updates have
>> been applied. Still need help!
>>
>> Lost

and
>> confers no rights.
>> >
>> >"lost" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
the
(99%)
printer...
>> so
older

>> >.
>> >

>.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2004 4:42:22 PM

the issue after SP2 on Canon devices pertains only to those that load the
mpservce. The are all multi-function devices.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
>
> I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
> is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
> XP SP2

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2004 7:49:32 PM

I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
Or any BJC series either!
www.coribright.com

"Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
>
> I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
> is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
> XP SP2
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2004 3:49:02 AM

I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm running Windows 2k3 (Build
3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048) and the spoolsv.exe is sitting at 90% or greater
of CPU utilization. I've deleted the printer from the Printers and Faxes
applet and run chkdsk on the C partition. I've also restarted the "print
spooler" service from the cmd prompt. But, to no avail; the service triggers
soon after and eats up the proc.

I've noticed that the service starts as soon as I boot Windows. I am
running a Canon i320 through USB. I show three other printers through
"Printers and Faxes". They are (1) Adobe PDF, (2) Microsoft Office Document
and (3) Fax.

Any ideas? I also discovered this evening that I've got a customer
experiencing the same issue. He is running SBS2k3 with an HP 3380 All-in-One
attached.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
> Or any BJC series either!
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
> >
> > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
> > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
> > XP SP2

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2004 3:18:28 PM

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer completely.

I have a Canon i560 on my 2003 Server and do not see the problem at all...
it used to have an S600 on it until just a couple of weeks ago. Again, did
not see the problem.
www.coribright.com

"David Davila MCSE" <DavidDavilaMCSE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E6196120-DA28-49EA-A207-1FA045744482@microsoft.com...
> I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm running Windows 2k3 (Build
> 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048) and the spoolsv.exe is sitting at 90% or
> greater
> of CPU utilization. I've deleted the printer from the Printers and Faxes
> applet and run chkdsk on the C partition. I've also restarted the "print
> spooler" service from the cmd prompt. But, to no avail; the service
> triggers
> soon after and eats up the proc.
>
> I've noticed that the service starts as soon as I boot Windows. I am
> running a Canon i320 through USB. I show three other printers through
> "Printers and Faxes". They are (1) Adobe PDF, (2) Microsoft Office
> Document
> and (3) Fax.
>
> Any ideas? I also discovered this evening that I've got a customer
> experiencing the same issue. He is running SBS2k3 with an HP 3380
> All-in-One
> attached.

a b à CPUs
October 19, 2004 12:35:03 AM

I have a Canon S600 and I am having an issue with the CPU usage going to 100%
a lot. It has only happened since XP2 was released.

I have un-installed and re-installed the latest drivers from Canon's website.

The printer is installed over a network and whenever I open a Print dialog
box, the spoolsv process takes up between 90% and 100% of the cpu for a good

Michael Parsche
Michael.Parsche@rogers.com
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2004 3:10:02 PM

We have a Canon iR2000 on a W2k server and have this problem of spoolsv
running at 99%.

so much for that.

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
> Or any BJC series either!
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
> >
> > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
> > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
> > XP SP2

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2005 3:17:03 PM

I am having the same problem with an HP Deskjet 870Cse. Running Windows
XPSP1, not SP2. Have a network setup with printer shared between 2
computers. Spoolsv.exe uses all resources at startup and continues up to
99%. I believe this started when I first tried to run a print job from the
computer that was not directly connected to the printer. I received a prompt
to setup the printer but unfortunately dont remember what it asked me to do.
I went ahead and set it up and the print job printed fine. but now the
computer that is directly connected to the printer has all of it's resources
used up by spoolsv.exe!!!

I deleted the printer from the computer, reinstalled, turned off sharing,
etc. nothing helps.

anyone help???!!!!???
thanks!

"JohnMc" wrote:

> We have a Canon iR2000 on a W2k server and have this problem of spoolsv
> running at 99%.
>
> so much for that.
>
> "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
>
> > I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
> > Or any BJC series either!
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
> > >
> > > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
> > > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
> > > XP SP2

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2005 4:10:59 PM

Uninstall the printer from all PCs completely....
www.coribright.com

"Pulgas" <Pulgas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem with an HP Deskjet 870Cse. Running Windows
> XPSP1, not SP2. Have a network setup with printer shared between 2
> computers. Spoolsv.exe uses all resources at startup and continues up
> 99%. I believe this started when I first tried to run a print job from
> the
> computer that was not directly connected to the printer. I received a
> prompt
> to setup the printer but unfortunately dont remember what it asked me to
> do.
> I went ahead and set it up and the print job printed fine. but now the
> computer that is directly connected to the printer has all of it's
> resources
> used up by spoolsv.exe!!!
>
> I deleted the printer from the computer, reinstalled, turned off sharing,
> etc. nothing helps.
>
> anyone help???!!!!???
> thanks!
>
> "JohnMc" wrote:
>
>> We have a Canon iR2000 on a W2k server and have this problem of spoolsv
>> running at 99%.
>>
>> so much for that.
>>
>> "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> > I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon
>> > printers.
>> > Or any BJC series either!
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> > www.coribright.com
>> >
>> > "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2005 12:23:04 PM

I had a printer labeled "Document Image Writer" and it had a print job stuck
in it. When I deleted the job, the printer went away as did the extreme CPU
usage.

!