spoolsv.exe takes up all CPU resources

Apparently Spoolsv.exe starts up every time we boot the
workstation and then we can't do any work with the
computer. Reviewed Task Manager and discovered that
spoolsv.exe takes up all availble CPU processing (99%)
and won't release it. We need to spare the printer... so
we don't know what to do about the problem. An older
computer didn't have this problem.

Help!!!!!
13 answers Last reply
More about spoolsv takes resources

    what's the make and model of the print device?

    There are typically two culprits to excessive spooler CPU usage. 1)
    parallel port is churning and the print device is a slow laser or forms
    printer (previously known as dot matrix). 2) The print driver is churning
    in some endless loop.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "lost" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Apparently Spoolsv.exe starts up every time we boot the
    > workstation and then we can't do any work with the
    > computer. Reviewed Task Manager and discovered that
    > spoolsv.exe takes up all availble CPU processing (99%)
    > and won't release it. We need to spare the printer... so
    > we don't know what to do about the problem. An older
    > computer didn't have this problem.
    >
    > Help!!!!!

    Using a Canon BJ240 on a parallel port. Have tried
    removing the printer and updating the driver. Still no
    change. The printer is shared by others in the office so
    I can't disable the print spooler, but when I do, the
    computer runs fine. I've also removed the anti-virus
    software, scanned for viruses using various packages,
    scanned using ad-aware and made sure all updates have
    been applied. Still need help!

    Lost

    [ln];kbhowto

    confers no rights.

    >"lost" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Apparently Spoolsv.exe starts up every time we boot the
    >> workstation and then we can't do any work with the
    >> computer. Reviewed Task Manager and discovered that
    >> spoolsv.exe takes up all availble CPU processing (99%)
    >> and won't release it. We need to spare the printer...
    so
    >> we don't know what to do about the problem. An older
    >> computer didn't have this problem.
    >>
    >> Help!!!!!
    >

    >.

    If it is the BJC-240 are you using the driver shipped with XP? If you are
    not, can you use the inbox driver and confirm the problem persists

    What is the BIOS configuration of the parallel port. I checked on Canon's
    site they infer the port should be setup in ECP mode.
    here is a link to Canon top 20 questions on this device
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7963

    Is this XP with SP1 or SP2?

    --

    > Using a Canon BJ240 on a parallel port. Have tried
    > removing the printer and updating the driver. Still no
    > change. The printer is shared by others in the office so
    > I can't disable the print spooler, but when I do, the
    > computer runs fine. I've also removed the anti-virus
    > software, scanned for viruses using various packages,
    > scanned using ad-aware and made sure all updates have
    > been applied. Still need help!
    >
    > Lost

    I have the same problem with a Canon S600.

    I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
    is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
    XP SP2

    the issue after SP2 on Canon devices pertains only to those that load the
    mpservce. The are all multi-function devices.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
    >
    > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
    > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
    > XP SP2

    I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
    Or any BJC series either!
    www.coribright.com

    "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
    >
    > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
    > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
    > XP SP2

    I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm running Windows 2k3 (Build
    3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048) and the spoolsv.exe is sitting at 90% or greater
    of CPU utilization. I've deleted the printer from the Printers and Faxes
    applet and run chkdsk on the C partition. I've also restarted the "print
    spooler" service from the cmd prompt. But, to no avail; the service triggers
    soon after and eats up the proc.

    I've noticed that the service starts as soon as I boot Windows. I am
    running a Canon i320 through USB. I show three other printers through
    "Printers and Faxes". They are (1) Adobe PDF, (2) Microsoft Office Document
    and (3) Fax.

    Any ideas? I also discovered this evening that I've got a customer
    experiencing the same issue. He is running SBS2k3 with an HP 3380 All-in-One
    attached.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
    > Or any BJC series either!
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
    > >
    > > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
    > > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
    > > XP SP2

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer completely.

    I have a Canon i560 on my 2003 Server and do not see the problem at all...
    it used to have an S600 on it until just a couple of weeks ago. Again, did
    not see the problem.
    www.coribright.com

    "David Davila MCSE" <DavidDavilaMCSE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:E6196120-DA28-49EA-A207-1FA045744482@microsoft.com...
    > I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm running Windows 2k3 (Build
    > 3790.srv03_rtm.030324-2048) and the spoolsv.exe is sitting at 90% or
    > greater
    > of CPU utilization. I've deleted the printer from the Printers and Faxes
    > applet and run chkdsk on the C partition. I've also restarted the "print
    > spooler" service from the cmd prompt. But, to no avail; the service
    > triggers
    > soon after and eats up the proc.
    >
    > I've noticed that the service starts as soon as I boot Windows. I am
    > running a Canon i320 through USB. I show three other printers through
    > "Printers and Faxes". They are (1) Adobe PDF, (2) Microsoft Office
    > Document
    > and (3) Fax.
    >
    > Any ideas? I also discovered this evening that I've got a customer
    > experiencing the same issue. He is running SBS2k3 with an HP 3380
    > All-in-One
    > attached.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have a Canon S600 and I am having an issue with the CPU usage going to 100%
    a lot. It has only happened since XP2 was released.

    I have un-installed and re-installed the latest drivers from Canon's website.

    The printer is installed over a network and whenever I open a Print dialog
    box, the spoolsv process takes up between 90% and 100% of the cpu for a good

    Michael Parsche
    Michael.Parsche@rogers.com
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    We have a Canon iR2000 on a W2k server and have this problem of spoolsv
    running at 99%.

    so much for that.

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
    > Or any BJC series either!
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
    > >
    > > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
    > > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
    > > XP SP2

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I am having the same problem with an HP Deskjet 870Cse. Running Windows
    XPSP1, not SP2. Have a network setup with printer shared between 2
    computers. Spoolsv.exe uses all resources at startup and continues up to
    99%. I believe this started when I first tried to run a print job from the
    computer that was not directly connected to the printer. I received a prompt
    to setup the printer but unfortunately dont remember what it asked me to do.
    I went ahead and set it up and the print job printed fine. but now the
    computer that is directly connected to the printer has all of it's resources
    used up by spoolsv.exe!!!

    I deleted the printer from the computer, reinstalled, turned off sharing,
    etc. nothing helps.

    anyone help???!!!!???
    thanks!

    "JohnMc" wrote:

    > We have a Canon iR2000 on a W2k server and have this problem of spoolsv
    > running at 99%.
    >
    > so much for that.
    >
    > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon printers.
    > > Or any BJC series either!
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have the same problem with a Canon S600.
    > > >
    > > > I have also seen other web discussions where this problem
    > > > is raised and it seems to start once someone has loaded
    > > > XP SP2

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Uninstall the printer from all PCs completely....
    www.coribright.com

    "Pulgas" <Pulgas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having the same problem with an HP Deskjet 870Cse. Running Windows
    > XPSP1, not SP2. Have a network setup with printer shared between 2
    > computers. Spoolsv.exe uses all resources at startup and continues up
    > 99%. I believe this started when I first tried to run a print job from
    > the
    > computer that was not directly connected to the printer. I received a
    > prompt
    > to setup the printer but unfortunately dont remember what it asked me to
    > do.
    > I went ahead and set it up and the print job printed fine. but now the
    > computer that is directly connected to the printer has all of it's
    > resources
    > used up by spoolsv.exe!!!
    >
    > I deleted the printer from the computer, reinstalled, turned off sharing,
    > etc. nothing helps.
    >
    > anyone help???!!!!???
    > thanks!
    >
    > "JohnMc" wrote:
    >
    >> We have a Canon iR2000 on a W2k server and have this problem of spoolsv
    >> running at 99%.
    >>
    >> so much for that.
    >>
    >> "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've seen no issues like this with any of the S or I series Canon
    >> > printers.
    >> > Or any BJC series either!
    >> > --
    >> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> > www.coribright.com
    >> >
    >> > "Michael Parsche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> > message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I had a printer labeled "Document Image Writer" and it had a print job stuck
    in it. When I deleted the job, the printer went away as did the extreme CPU
    usage.

Computers CPUs Windows XP