I Beg Your Pardon! I Didn't Quite Catch That....

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hooray.

With a new baby and losing my 'study' as a nusery I'm forced to accomodate my main machines, an old Deskpro 6000 P-Pro 200 and 'The Beast'.

Formerly the beast had a mighty roar, but with a little tweaking and a small compromise I think I hit a good balance.

Previously I had 4 x Sunon 42.5CFM case fans, Delta 80mm 68.5CFM yelling it's head off at a Swiftech 462, and 2 x Coolermaster Cooldrives (with little whiney fans). All this kept my 1.33@1.57 T-Bird(1.9V), 3xHDD, CDRW and DVD fresh and cool.

Well, now I shut the little guy up and he is purring nicely. Ok - not silent, but a hell of a lot better.

4 x Sunon 42.5CFM (36.5dBA) - GONE! Replaced 3 x Coolermaster Low Speed Fans
80mm Delta 68.5CFM (48.5dBA) - GONE! Replaced by Sunon HiFlow 42.5CFM (36.5dBA)
Coolermaster 'Litte' Fans - Unplugged
Northbridge Cooling Fan - GONE! Was making really annoying whine

So now I run at 1500 (10.5x143@1.75V) Max out at 49C running toast, and have current idle temps of 26C System and 43C CPU.

Oh - and I can hear myself think again!!!!

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Sweet, and all you lost was 70mhz, what kind of Toast and idle temps were you getting before hand. And what happened to the water cooler you ordered????

Funk

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well....

Before the downgrade I'd be at around 43 degrees - sometimes 45 under full load. When I opened up the beast I found that the HS and fan were filthy (I mean really black and grimy). I cleaned them off and tried again (wondering if a clean fan was less noisy) and the temps dropped 4 degrees (idle 36-37C)!!!!

Still too noisy, so here I am.

I got the watercooler kit through okay, but I havent had enough time to work on it. It was all set to go, pipe cut etc. but the reservoir had a *tiny* leak. On top of that the pump made a horrible rattling sound all the time. It did first time I fired it up, but running the pipe closed circuit (pump-to-pump) it died out.

Well, after plumbing everything together I tried everything but the damn rattle wouldn't go. Sounded like a tiny pnuematic drill. Anyway, I figure the pump must be a little loose in the reservoir and rattling now, rather than an airlock or similar. Remember that *tiny* leak I mentioned?

I stripped down the reservoir and found the seal had twisted and crimped on assembly from the manufacturer. Therefore under pressure the unit would ingest air or expel water, depending on prevailing circumstance. So, I figure, a little silicone adhesive all the way around should fix that, which it did. Of course now I cannot remove the lid to access the pump to see if it is loose.... :frown:

So - there we are, another great project on the sidelines. I might resurrect it without the reservoir - I've seen some big pumps and I might run it without. We'll see. This guy is a lot more quiet now, so there is less incentive....

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details