cant share printer with XP

I have two PCs, both running XP (sp2). I have setup one PC
(main) to share it's internet connection which I can use
from the other PC (laptop) via 802.11b network. I've run
the home network setup wizard on both PCs (many times!). I
can see the main computer in 'my network places' on the
laptop, but when I try to open it I'm told I don't have
access rights. I've set the printer as shared on the main
pc. When I try and add a network printer on the laptop,
the relevant printer is not listed. I have the guest
account set up on both PCs. I've (temporarily) set my
entire C drive on the main computer as shared. TCP/IP
connectivity works fine. I'ver turned off windows firewall
on both PCs (temporarily).
8 answers Last reply
More about cant share printer

    See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    www.coribright.com

    "mark blackman" <mark.blackman1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >I have two PCs, both running XP (sp2). I have setup one PC
    > (main) to share it's internet connection which I can use
    > from the other PC (laptop) via 802.11b network. I've run
    > the home network setup wizard on both PCs (many times!). I
    > can see the main computer in 'my network places' on the
    > laptop, but when I try to open it I'm told I don't have
    > access rights. I've set the printer as shared on the main
    > pc. When I try and add a network printer on the laptop,
    > the relevant printer is not listed. I have the guest
    > account set up on both PCs. I've (temporarily) set my
    > entire C drive on the main computer as shared. TCP/IP
    > connectivity works fine. I'ver turned off windows firewall
    > on both PCs (temporarily).

    I'm afraid this has not helped at all.

    Further info - I've reran the home network setup wizard,
    giving the network a new name - same problem though.

    Have you looked through Ron Pacciano's article at
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml

    > Further info - I've reran the home network setup wizard,
    > giving the network a new name - same problem though.

    We have a domain with SBS 2003 and 5 XP Pro workstations.
    All the users have local printers that are shared. All
    users could print to any other printer through the
    shares.

    After installing XP SP2, users can only print to their
    local printer. Error message says they don't have access
    rights to other computers. None of the access rights have
    changed since before SP2. (Everyone - print access, etc.)
    I'm assuming SP2 added more security somewhere. What do we
    need to change to get printer shares working again?

    This article is over a year old and doesn't seem to have
    any relevance to this problem. It certainly has nothing to
    say about SP2, since it was written before SP2 came out.

    Is Print and File Sharing granted an Exception in the XP SP2 Firewall?
    www.coribright.com

    "Keith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This article is over a year old and doesn't seem to have
    > any relevance to this problem. It certainly has nothing to
    > say about SP2, since it was written before SP2 came out.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I've turned off the XP firewall on both PCs as I already
    have one I'm comfortable with. I've spent the weekend
    trying to sort this out, but to no avail. The nearest I
    got was when using mmc, under local profile I tried to add
    the relevant computer as able to access shared printers
    and files. But everytime I did it I ended up with an error
    message saying the local profile had not been changed.

    This is becoming soo frustrating, why on earth do
    Microsoft make something so simple and elementary as
    sharing a printer on a home network so difficult? I've
    seen this done on an Apple Mac system - it took about 5
    seconds!

PCS Windows XP Printers