XP & GDI printers

September 16, 2004 6:46:44 AM

I'm still happily using 98SE with an NEC 660 laser printer
which still works like a charm after five years of use.

In the coming weeks I plan to replace my four-year-old
Dell with something a bit newer, running XP.

I want to continue using my NEC printer which, of course,
uses the GDI interface.

Will the prehistoric (1995) GDI drivers provided by NEC
still work with XP, or am I out of luck? NEC tells me they
won't update their interface.

Thanks, David L

More about : gdi printers

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 4:28:27 PM

Sorry. The executables that Windows9x systems have that GDI printers use
are neither present nor usable with Windows NT systems including Windows
XP. So, Gosh Darn It, the printer will not work.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

:
: In the coming weeks I plan to replace my four-year-old
: Dell with something a bit newer, running XP.
:
: I want to continue using my NEC printer which, of course,
: uses the GDI interface.
:
: Will the prehistoric (1995) GDI drivers provided by NEC
: still work with XP, or am I out of luck? NEC tells me they
: won't update their interface.
:
: Thanks, David L
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 7:10:44 AM

Hello Tom,

*Most* frustrating! I suppose that means I'll have to
install both XP and 98SE just so that I can use the
printer.

What's the order of battle? Install XP first, or 98?

Salutations, David L

wrote in message
>: I'm still happily using 98SE with an NEC 660 laser
printer
>: which still works like a charm after five years of use.
>:
>: In the coming weeks I plan to replace my four-year-old
>: Dell with something a bit newer, running XP.
>:
>: I want to continue using my NEC printer which, of
course,
>: uses the GDI interface.
>:
>: Will the prehistoric (1995) GDI drivers provided by NEC
>: still work with XP, or am I out of luck? NEC tells me
they
>: won't update their interface.
>:
>: Thanks, David L
>

>.

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 11:44:48 AM

David Lewiston wrote:
> *Hello Tom,
>
> *Most* frustrating! I suppose that means I'll have to
> install both XP and 98SE just so that I can use the
> printer.
>
> What's the order of battle? Install XP first, or 98?
>

> >[/vbcol] *

You need a separate Win9x computer to use the GDI printer driver. From
WinXP you can only print over network.
A Win9x computer with Pentium 133 and 16 MB would suffice.
Here is a good article to get it working:
http://tinyurl.com/4zvpu

--
ssandig