Oct 14, 2001
ECS K7S5A with on board LAN
Athlon 1.4 + Thermaltake Volcano 5
in a cheap mid-tower case with a fan

Sisoft Sandra's telling me:
Board Temp - 18 deg Celsius
CPU Temp - 30 deg Celsius
Power/Aux Temp - 47 deg Celsius

while the BIOS (not upgraded) tells me the CPU runs at 50 Celsius. What should I believe, and isn't it little too hot?
I also had the system crash on me when I covered the vent holes on the side of the case (by pushing it against wall of a desk) which makes me think that something'srunning too hot. Also the top of the case (in the back where PSU is sitting) is warm - that's weird in'it? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
That is ~122 degrees Fahrenheit. That is well within specs. Max stated by AMD is 90 oC for 1100MHz and under and 95 oC for over 1100MHz, but it would never make it to there without cooking or stalling out. If the CPU is crashing due to heat you might have too much heat in the case and/or a bad reading from the MB.

If the case is cheesy like you said, then you might want to do some case modifications to get more airflow through it. If you feel advantageous, that is.

Tell me more about the case, the GPU/Card that you are running, number of fans in case, their direction, the direction of the fan on volcano,(Most likely blowing in towards the CPU/HS), etc. Let's see what modifications we can do for little or no money.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I think SiSoft Sandra is giving you backwards or wrong readings. There is no way in hell you have a 1.4GHz @ only 30oC without watercooling. You would need your room to be impossibly cold and a much better HSF. Your readings would seem a little more likely if it was your CPU @ 47oC, your mainboard @ 30oC.

I would believe your BIOS more at the current time. Try <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new"> Motherboard Monitor </A> for a better, more accurate reading. Most people on these forums use it.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

Couple of things to do:

1. Move your case such that the warm air exiting the back is not trapped just to get sucked back into the case causing temps to rise.

2. Make sure entry points for fresh air are not blocked.

3. MotherBoard monitor will only echo the same information displayed on the setup screen. It's purpose is to let you see those temps with windows running. (It's a good thing to use but, not any more or less accurate)

If you are considering a new case, this one is nice for a mid-tower:

<A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/minitower.html" target="_new">Antec SX63x Series</A>

It will give you an additional exhaust fan (80mm) to augment your PSU fan. and it will provide you mounting locations for 2 supply fans (80mm). note: the second supply fan is hiden inside the HD bay. The nice thing about the front supply fans is that they suck air that is cool, not the hot stuff trapped behind your case.

I use the SX8x0 workstation version. It's pretty big and probably more than you want, but it stays at ambient + 1C on the system temp.

<A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/wkstion.html" target="_new">Antec SX8x0 series</A>

------------------

:cool: <b>Do YOU deserve Da Bird?</b> :cool: