Zone alarm interferring with windows explorer

hello,

when i open windows explorer and try to open a menu (file, edit, view) etc,
a zone alarm (the free version) window will pop up asking if i want to allow
windows explorer to access the internet. this also happens when i click on
an any icon on my desktop.

i recently downloaded and installed a zone alarm upgrade and since then,
this has happened.
how can i stop this from happening?

thank you
indera
4 answers Last reply
More about zone alarm interferring windows explorer

    Taking a moment's reflection, Dr. Indera mused:

    | hello,
    |
    | when i open windows explorer and try to open a menu (file, edit, view)
    | etc, a zone alarm (the free version) window will pop up asking if i want
    | to allow windows explorer to access the internet. this also happens when
    | i click on an any icon on my desktop.
    |
    | i recently downloaded and installed a zone alarm upgrade and since then,
    | this has happened. how can i stop this from happening?

    Well, the easiest way is to give it permission, and tell it to remember
    the setting. What you are seeing is a newer feature in ZA called Advanced
    Program Control. It allows you to control programs using *other* programs
    (that may have internet access). Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
    used to be intertwined as well; but, a recent change in IE has changed this.
    So, you may be seeing results from both changes.

    thank you mhicaoidh,

    i will take your advise and the next time it happens, i'll give the app
    permission.

    indera

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Dr. Indera mused:
    > |
    > | hello,
    > |
    > | when i open windows explorer and try to open a menu (file, edit, view)
    > | etc, a zone alarm (the free version) window will pop up asking if i want
    > | to allow windows explorer to access the internet. this also happens when
    > | i click on an any icon on my desktop.
    > |
    > | i recently downloaded and installed a zone alarm upgrade and since then,
    > | this has happened. how can i stop this from happening?
    >
    > Well, the easiest way is to give it permission, and tell it to
    remember
    > the setting. What you are seeing is a newer feature in ZA called Advanced
    > Program Control. It allows you to control programs using *other* programs
    > (that may have internet access). Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
    > used to be intertwined as well; but, a recent change in IE has changed
    this.
    > So, you may be seeing results from both changes.

    Taking a moment's reflection, Dr. Indera mused:

    | i will take your advise and the next time it happens, i'll give the app
    | permission.

    On caveat, however, is other programs may want to use Windows Explorer
    (which you have now granted permissions) to access the internet. You may
    not necessarily want to grant them permission.

    mhicaoidh,

    interestingly enough, for the last day, this hasn't happened - go figure!

    indera

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Dr. Indera mused:
    > |
    > | i will take your advise and the next time it happens, i'll give the app
    > | permission.
    >
    > On caveat, however, is other programs may want to use Windows Explorer
    > (which you have now granted permissions) to access the internet. You may
    > not necessarily want to grant them permission.

Firewalls Windows Explorer Security Networking