Question on Sennheiser PC360's

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I was just wondering, if I were to buy the PC 360's, would I have to get the Astro mixamp(or any mixamp) in order to get virtual surround sound? Or is that just for console players? Would the mixamp really improve the headsets surround sound? Lastly, would the headset have any surround sound without the mixamp. Thanks in advanced.

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I used 360s with a good sound card and you still get virtual surround and playing games does sound like 3d. I have just got the Razer Tiamat headset after my liitle boy broke my 360s and they are 7.1 surround sound and far superior in gaming. Maybe not quite so good at music.

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Yeah, I bought the Tiamats just to try them out, I personally hated them, they are especially horrible for music. But that's just my opinion.

BlueberryCake

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
You definitely need an amplifier of some sort to get the most out of them. Most crappy reviews are by people using them without an amp. As for surround, isn't that based on how/which your connecting components? My HTPC (onboard audio) is connected to my AVR via optical which I plug my 360s into. I've only been playing Diablo 3, but I definitely here directional sounds. Since I don't play FPS games, I'm not sure how much more distinct the surround sounds are directionally.

Some people are even modding them to add a bit more bass to them. I'm still breaking mine in so I have yet decide on modding it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/406187/modding-the-sennheiser-pc350-headset/285