Windows media player cannot play FRAPS videos

philojyw

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Certain videos that I record with FRAPS won't play, they'll play the beginning of the video, but near the end I'll get this error message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." and then when I try to edit them in CyberLink PowerDirector 10 I get the error message (once again only near the end of the video) "front end graph streaming error" the FRAPS videos that don't work seem completely random. I have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas?

shad3s0fGravy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
did you try decompressing the video? Get winrar(evaluation copy) and then right click on the video file and see if there is an option given by winrar that shows "decompress here" or something similar to see if it was compressed by FRAPs itself. Most videos that are recorded by fraps are more than a gig long for only 5 minutes. That could be the problem. You might have to convert them to another media video file type. Also, DL and install K-lite codec pack, it is a package that gives Window Media Player more extensive support for any type of video that you play using WMP, regardless of region. There is also another video player called VAC media player and I prefer this player over WMP because it has more video tolerance than WMP, tolerance meaning that it can play more video types than WMP. Try this out and I am sure it will work.

philojyw

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
But it's so odd, some videos, longer or shorter work fine. It's a .avi so it's supported, and it hasn't been compressed. It makes no sense why it wouldn't work.