Help! We just switched from Win 98 to XP. I installed the print drivers for
our Okidata ML 591 that came with XP. The Okidata website told me that all
drivers are current with XP. This printer is about 7 years old, but really,
that shouldn't matter.

When I print the test page, there's just a few random characters here and
there, and then it goes off to another page, prints a few more random
characters, etc, and keeps repeating. I have to turn the printer off, and
reboot the computer to get it to stop.

Any idea what's going on?

My booklet says it emulates the IBM Proprinter, so I loaded that driver as
well. The test page prints fine, but when I go into print preferences and
properties to change the paper size I use (US Std Fanfold...14.875" x
11.00"), it won't show that as an available choice. But it's listed under
Server Properties. And since it won't recognize my paper size, it refuses to
print all my info, because I guess it thinks it's using letter size paper.

So, any thoughts at all?

TIA!
Candace

That's an excellent quality printer you have.

On to the problem:
The computer is sending data to the printer faster than it can process
it. XP more fully supports ECP and EPP ports. This is good for printers
that can process the data stream quickly; however, pin-type dot-matrix
printers have relatively low print speed due to the limits of the
technology used in the print head (solenoid-driven steel pins).

The drivers on the Windows XP distribution media should work OK with it.

The following usually solves the problem:
As the computer boots, enter the BIOS setup. Some BIOSs require you to
press the Delete key at the appropriate moment in the boot sequence.
Check your computer manual whether paper or on-line to find out how to
do this for your computer. Navigate to the setup for the parallel port
that the printer is connected to. Change the setting to SPP, standard
parallel port, bi-directional port or similar but _not_ ECP, EPP or ECP
& EPP. Save settings and Exit. Allow the computer to boot normally.

Windows should install support for the changed port type.

Try printing.

Let us know.

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP-DTS

:
[...]

Thank you for that suggestion Thomas. I went into my BIOS setup, and the
parallel port is already set to SPP.

Any other ideas?

And aside from that problem, I can use the emulation mode (IBM Proprinter)
which works fine. My problem there is that it won't recognize the paper
size. When I go into Word to mail merge my addresses into labels, the
printer (using Proprinter mode) won't print the 4th column of labels, and
sometimes won't do the very top or very bottom either. I've checked
everything I can possibly think of.

I've gone into printer properties and print preferences and made sure the US
Std Fanfold paper is selected.

Wow, this is frustrating!

Thanks for trying to help, and anything else you can think of is appreciated!
Candace

"Thomas Ferguson" wrote:

> That's an excellent quality printer you have.
>
> On to the problem:
> The computer is sending data to the printer faster than it can process
> it. XP more fully supports ECP and EPP ports. This is good for printers
> that can process the data stream quickly; however, pin-type dot-matrix
> printers have relatively low print speed due to the limits of the
> technology used in the print head (solenoid-driven steel pins).
>
> The drivers on the Windows XP distribution media should work OK with it.
>
> The following usually solves the problem:
> As the computer boots, enter the BIOS setup. Some BIOSs require you to
> press the Delete key at the appropriate moment in the boot sequence.
> Check your computer manual whether paper or on-line to find out how to
> do this for your computer. Navigate to the setup for the parallel port
> that the printer is connected to. Change the setting to SPP, standard
> parallel port, bi-directional port or similar but _not_ ECP, EPP or ECP
> & EPP. Save settings and Exit. Allow the computer to boot normally.
>
> Windows should install support for the changed port type.
>
> Try printing.
>
> Let us know.
>

> Tom Ferguson
> MSMVP-DTS
>
> "crodal" <crodal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : Help! We just switched from Win 98 to XP. I installed the print
> drivers for
> : our Okidata ML 591 that came with XP. The Okidata website told me
> that all
> : drivers are current with XP. This printer is about 7 years old, but
> really,
> : that shouldn't matter.
> :
> : When I print the test page, there's just a few random characters here
> and
> : there, and then it goes off to another page, prints a few more random
> : characters, etc, and keeps repeating. I have to turn the printer off,
> and
> : reboot the computer to get it to stop.
> :
> : Any idea what's going on?
> :
> : My booklet says it emulates the IBM Proprinter, so I loaded that
> driver as
> : well. The test page prints fine, but when I go into print preferences
> and
> : properties to change the paper size I use (US Std Fanfold...14.875" x
> : 11.00"), it won't show that as an available choice. But it's listed
> under
> : Server Properties. And since it won't recognize my paper size, it
> refuses to
> : print all my info, because I guess it thinks it's using letter size
> paper.
> :
> : So, any thoughts at all?
> :
> : TIA!
> : Candace

With time, memory sometimes dims so I checked the Okidata ML 591
specifications. I see that it is the wide carriage version of the ML
590. Both IBM Proprinter and Epson LQ emulation are supported. I also
see that the default emulation is Epson so do be sure the printer is
switched to IBM emulation before using the Proprinter driver.

Possible problems could include using a driver for a regular carriage
width printer or having the wrong emulation set for the driver used. So,
I would try a(some) driver(s) for a wide carriage Epson LQ printer and
see if that brings any progress. Instructions for changing emulation are
found in the printer manual. .

The Epson 2180, the 2190 and 570E are 24 pin, wide carriage. I don't
know which driver would serve better.

http://www.infoshop.gr/photos/pdf/250534.pdf

Let us know.

Tom

[...]
: "Thomas Ferguson" wrote:
:
: > That's an excellent quality printer you have.
: >
[...]
: > :