Fax Console always Refreshing but never succeeding

Since using Windows Update to install the GDI+ Detection Tool on an XP SP2
system, Fax Console showed "Refreshing" on its status bar, but never
displayed the list of incoming faxes. The fax service was running, because
faxes were received successfully. Rebooting made no difference, so I left
it running overnight, as usual, and came back to it this morning.

Checking the service status again now showed that the fax service was
"stopping", but it never stopped. Unusually, no faxes had been received
overnight, so that may have been the reason why. I changed the service to
start manually, rebooted and started the fax service after the hard drive
had gone quiet. After that Fax Console behaved correctly, so I changed the
service back to "automatic", rebooted and checked that Fax Console was still
OK.

Could this be because the switch from automatic to manual and back to
automatic changed the order that the fax service starts, effectively making
it last - which is the same as starting it manually?

Keith MacDonald

So ultimately is your fax console working fine? Note that on XP SP2 you
would need to add Fax Client Console to the exceptions of Windows Firewall
(Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall). Coming to the problem
of service showing 'stopping' but never getting stopped - I guess it's a one
off failure & your reboot might have done the trick rather than changing the
service startup types.

Let us know if you have any more problems.

--
Raghavendra R
purposes only.'

"Keith MacDonald" <nospam@parasites.com> wrote in message
> Since using Windows Update to install the GDI+ Detection Tool on an XP SP2
> system, Fax Console showed "Refreshing" on its status bar, but never
> displayed the list of incoming faxes. The fax service was running,
> because faxes were received successfully. Rebooting made no difference,
> so I left it running overnight, as usual, and came back to it this
> morning.
>
> Checking the service status again now showed that the fax service was
> "stopping", but it never stopped. Unusually, no faxes had been received
> overnight, so that may have been the reason why. I changed the service to
> start manually, rebooted and started the fax service after the hard drive
> had gone quiet. After that Fax Console behaved correctly, so I changed
> the service back to "automatic", rebooted and checked that Fax Console was
> still OK.
>
> Could this be because the switch from automatic to manual and back to
> automatic changed the order that the fax service starts, effectively
> making it last - which is the same as starting it manually?
>
> Keith MacDonald

Yes thanks, fax console has been working since I changed the service to
start manually, rebooted started the fax service, then changed it back to
start automatically. Rebooting by itself did not help, as I tried that
several times, to no effect.

Fax Console was not checked in the list of firewall exceptions. It is now,
but it's not a networkable service, so why should that make any difference?

Thanks,
Keith MacDonald