Nforce motherboard?

BlueRain

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Hi,

I'm trying to find info on this new "nforce MB".

Can someone direct me to a link where i can read up on it and maybe purchase it?

I did a search using "Nforce mother board" and can't find anything.

Thanks

Blue

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
www.msi.com.tw
or go to pricewatch.com and just search for nforce

Me "I bought a TNT2 M64, the BIOS says its a Vanta"
IOMagic "Theyre the same card"
Me "Um, no"

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
Anyone else reluctant to buy one of these?

It seems like a waste to pay an extra $80-$100 for a Mboard with an outdated graphics card, and a sound card that won't be much different then what's out there, simply due to the limitations of the HUMAN EAR! Or is this supposed to bring some revolutionary type of speed that'll out-perform a K266A chipset by 2x?

Bah, I guess I need someone to smack some sense into me.

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I'm tempted by both the idea of getting nVidia's driver support for all major components (bye bye Via, Creative, Hercules, etc.), plus an amazing NIC. If I see one for <$170 I may have to get it, simply because a Shuttle AK31A + Audigy XGamer costs that much. I mean, as you said, the human ear can't hear much better than the integrated card can put out, and it uses minimal CPU cycles, so it's not like that would ever be upgraded. Plus if you build a system a while down the road, you can take whatever amazing video card is in there and put it in the new one, and let the old box rely on the integrated one. I'm waiting for some more NForce alternatives and reviews to trickle in before I build my system.

Me "Um, no"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Oh yeah, and processor support only up to 1800+?

That's merely because that was the fastest Socket A processor around at the time. With updated BIOSes, you'll be able to go well past that. They can't list support for a CPU that hasn't been "invented" yet, in other words.

The nForce will be a very good platform, but only if cheap. The graphics are poor, and the dual-channel DDR will not provide any significant increase in speed, at a great monetary cost. According to Via, the boards must be 6-layer PCB in order to implement dual-channel DDR. I think nVidia found a way around that, but I'm not sure.

nVidia has also not been able to produce drivers that actually have EAX enabled. So much for the all-powerful nVidia driver team, eh? :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If your ear cannot tell the difference between typical onboard audio and what is possible, then you are as deaf as a door post. I suggest you get yourself into a decent audio store and get a listen to a decent audio system. I don't mean the latest integrated Pioneer midi either... Many people have very bad misconceptions about sound and music quality.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Perhaps you should do more research before you jump to conclusion. The onboard audio on the nForce IGP is comparable if not superior to the new Audigy cards. That's what he meant by its impossible to tell the difference between it and "whats out there" I believe. For that matter, I doubt many could hear a quality difference between the Audigy and Live series, GTXP, or a couple others. At least I can't, stood next to a few too many speakers at concerts.

Me "Um, no"

Well I personally can tell the difference in audio cards.
Most people don't really listen ,they hear loud and that is all that counts.
As a hobby I was a "sound man" for a few bands and eventually we built a 24 track digital recording studio at our drummers house. Very nice equipment. Then our guitarist flaked out on us. As the story goes. ........
I personally like the sound of the A3D Vortex2 based cards.
But these are becoming legacy hardware now. Although Ive not heard the Audigy cards yet.

I aint signing nothing!!!

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Oh, I don't doubt that you can. I mean, if I listen to my Dell's old SB16 and then go listen to my friends Live! card, the difference is very noticable, however I'm not sure someone could be so discerning as to judge the sound quality of the highest teir of consumer level sound cards (excluding professional cards, which you probably have experience with but 95% of the computing world doesn't).

Me "Um, no"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
$80-100 extra? This board goes for around $163, that's only about $40 more than a KT266A motherboard.

But lets lie and say it was $80. That's how much an Audigy would cost you. Or $40 for the sound and $40 for the video, which itself compares to $60 video cards.

But it's only $40 more to begin with! If you were looking for decent onboard video, the audio is free! Conversly, if you want decent onboard audio, the video is free! Or you can look at it as paying $20 for $80 worth of audio and another $20 for $60 worth of video, if you plan on using both.

As for MSI, they got cheap, offering the rest of the sound connectors as "options". Can't blame nVidia for that, but let's add $10 for the needed riser card, and we're still getting by pretty cheap. Plus you get nVidia's driver reputation, an excuse NOT to line Creative's pockets, etc.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Be carefull when you buy this product (MSI K7N420 PRO), there is a mistake in the manual that shows a set of jumpers the wrong way round. If you follow the shipped manual's instructions you can damage the Mboard. MSI have put an updated manual on their website which corrects this. I was unfortunate enough to not spot this mistake before I had damaged the Mboard.

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I must be lucky. I too had followed the motherboard manual exactly. Went in and switched the jumper block on JBAT1 thinking the board had shipped with CMOS shorted out. Saw that they reversed the graphics in the online manual, and switched it back. Working fine now.

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I got the CNR audio card. But not the TV-out card which I wasn't going to use anyway. Oh and the POWER LED headers are optional. No POWER ON indicator lights for me. :eek: