EQ2: Changes to mobs

Last response: in Video Games
April 13, 2005 9:54:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

You might have noticed SOE have made more changes to make the game more
soloable. I have previously said they should downgrade some heroic mobs
to solo to reflect how the game is played. It just seems they've gone
and changed the wrong ones. In Antonica scarecrows and stag are now
individual. Why? These where some of the more popular groups mobs and
the few people got together to kill. Last night no one was getting
them. They need to downgrade some Gnoll mobs imho. After the ones by
Qeynos there aren't many that are soloable.

It will be interesting to see if anyone bothers with the coven now they
are soloable. They were totally ignored before.

Anybody spotted any other mobs that have changed?

More about : eq2 mobs

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:30:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

I think a few weeks ago they added a new set of solo gnolls to the East
of the Lighthouse. Stick to the edge of the cliff and work you way past
the gnoll camp and then in the fields before the next gnoll camp there
are now roaming solo gnolls.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:38:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

Imho they only have to make soloable those mobs people need for their
quests. Let groups work for exp and killing the named mobs and for
uber loot and uber instances, but let people work on their quests by
themselves.
April 13, 2005 3:33:08 PM

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> You might have noticed SOE have made more changes to make the game more
> soloable. I have previously said they should downgrade some heroic mobs
> to solo to reflect how the game is played. It just seems they've gone
> and changed the wrong ones. In Antonica scarecrows and stag are now
> individual. Why? These where some of the more popular groups mobs and
> the few people got together to kill. Last night no one was getting
> them. They need to downgrade some Gnoll mobs imho. After the ones by
> Qeynos there aren't many that are soloable.

Most importantly, downgrade the Stormhold mobs ;p I'm lvl 20 and almsot
nothing in there is soloable.

> It will be interesting to see if anyone bothers with the coven now they
> are soloable. They were totally ignored before.
>
> Anybody spotted any other mobs that have changed?

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:40:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"Zygondi" <jcarcutt@gmail.com> wrote in news:1113399026.245434.78020
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I think a few weeks ago they added a new set of solo gnolls to the East
> of the Lighthouse. Stick to the edge of the cliff and work you way past
> the gnoll camp and then in the fields before the next gnoll camp there
> are now roaming solo gnolls.

There have been roaming solo gnolls in various parts of Antonica for as
long as I have wandered there. They were lacking in solo ones in
Thundering Steppes however, but plenty of other solo designated encounters
in there, not to mention many soloable group encounter gnolls.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:01:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>Imho they only have to make soloable those mobs people need for their
>quests. Let groups work for exp and killing the named mobs and for
>uber loot and uber instances, but let people work on their quests by
>themselves.

That statement is contradictory though. I got a quest for kill some
epic mobs in Stormlord, so going by you first sentence they should be
soloable (since I need them for a quest) but the second sentence says
they shouldn't!! I do agree named mobs should be much harder to kill
but not possible to solo when they are green. Like most heroic mobs are
now. I've soloed a few named mobs while they are green.

I've heard SOE want outdoor areas to be for solo or duos and indoors
for groups. Sounds good to me as there is a clear line. You know in
advance any quest in Stromlord is aimed at groups and anything in
Antoinca is for solo players.

Wondering around Thunderring Stepps last night it would seem most mobs
are now solo. I previously stated I disliked that place because it was
a too bigger a step up from Antonica and hard to solo. Now, I think
it's a great place! Not like my first experience of it where there
were a few mobs I could solo and loads of heroic mobs. You had to group
and more so needed a perfect group (ie tank, healer and 4 DPS). Now you
can solo most things. And if you do group you don't need a prefect
group to do so.

Mentoring is also a good idea. Allows you to play with lower level
friends but also to do content you otherwise missed.

The game is far better for all these changes. Before hand once to hit
20 you had no option but to group now you can do both. Group still
gives more exp and allows you to kill mobs sooner. But it's no longer
mandatory, which is a much much better (and the fact you don't need a
perfect group makes it better still!)
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:14:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

I meant more in the normal style of quests (bring me 20 gnoll pelts, 5
centaur hoofs, etc), these should be obtainable from soloable mobs.
There are (or were when I left) no soloable gnolls or centaurs or rock
heaps or giants in TS yet many quests asked for them, which eventually
lead me to just delete those quests.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:31:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>There has been a soloable giant in TS for some time now, same time
they
>added the enraged bears. Yes, it is just the one, which is a pain,
but I
>completed a couple quests using him. I soloed numerous gnolls in TS
while
>they were green and low blue, all after the changes to make groups of
mobs
>harder to solo. I have also soloed numerous centaurs, all designated
group
>encounters, while they were blue/green.

Well last night every gnoll and centaur I saw was marked as an
individual encounter. All the Griffons, scarecrows, lions and undead I
saw were also now an individual encounter. That's not to say there were
alone, since you had groups of 3 gnolls what were marked as a
individual encounter.

Not sure about the giants and gnolls beyond them. Although I tend to
find out tonight. Anywhere indoors is untouched.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

wish it was like this when I played.
Still, all access quests still require you to have a full group right?
like access quests to Zek, EL, etc. That's what eventually made me
quit.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:10:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113484487.921459.38920
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I meant more in the normal style of quests (bring me 20 gnoll pelts, 5
> centaur hoofs, etc), these should be obtainable from soloable mobs.
> There are (or were when I left) no soloable gnolls or centaurs or rock
> heaps or giants in TS yet many quests asked for them, which eventually
> lead me to just delete those quests.

Don't know when you left, but...

There has been a soloable giant in TS for some time now, same time they
added the enraged bears. Yes, it is just the one, which is a pain, but I
completed a couple quests using him. I soloed numerous gnolls in TS while
they were green and low blue, all after the changes to make groups of mobs
harder to solo. I have also soloed numerous centaurs, all designated group
encounters, while they were blue/green.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:11:00 PM

BombayMix wrote:
>>There has been a soloable giant in TS for some time now, same time
>
> they
>
>>added the enraged bears. Yes, it is just the one, which is a pain,
>
> but I
>
>>completed a couple quests using him. I soloed numerous gnolls in TS
>
> while
>
>>they were green and low blue, all after the changes to make groups of
>
> mobs
>
>>harder to solo. I have also soloed numerous centaurs, all designated
>
> group
>
>>encounters, while they were blue/green.
>

> Well last night every gnoll and centaur I saw was marked as an
> individual encounter. All the Griffons, scarecrows, lions and undead I
> saw were also now an individual encounter. That's not to say there were
> alone, since you had groups of 3 gnolls what were marked as a
> individual encounter.
>
> Not sure about the giants and gnolls beyond them. Although I tend to
> find out tonight. Anywhere indoors is untouched.

I saw the same thing. However, I thought that they had accidentally
taken the "Heroic" designation away. Everything was easier to kill, but
I still didn't trust going after a group of 5 mobs that conned white.

--
- Barry as Aslanar on Ogguk
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113503598.552252.154030
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> wish it was like this when I played.
> Still, all access quests still require you to have a full group right?
> like access quests to Zek, EL, etc. That's what eventually made me
> quit.

It was like this when you played, with the exception of the soloable giant.
In fact, the group encounters that I soloed were actually easier. The
access quests have not changed, but, as it was when you played, you do not
have to do the access quests for Zek, EL, and a few others, you just have
to level to the minimum level required, then you automatically gain access.

Quoting really helps btw...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:32:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

>I saw the same thing. However, I thought that they had accidentally
>taken the "Heroic" designation away. Everything was easier to kill,
but
>I still didn't trust going after a group of 5 mobs that conned white.

It's not an accident it you read the patch notes you would of seen
these are changes to 'downgrade zones' people were talking about. They
are trying it out on the live servers to see what people think.

And you are right to be weary of a group of 5 white gnolls. I've found
3 blue-- just doable, 2 white touch, anymore and you'll get one quick
death. Although I did manage 3 yellow-- sirens. Four well and truly
beat me though!

Just for the record gaint scots are solo encounters all other giants,
gnolls and undead in that area are still heroic. The undead near the
Tomb Of Varsoon are now solo too.
!