Why do you need anti-aliaising

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
well the higher your resolution the less its needed although it personal preference really, i like to have it on but only since i upgraded my GPU, its the last priority in graphics IMO.

the higher the rez the less you need it to a point. its actually the higher the screen pdpi the less you need it.
a 1920/1080 52" screen needs just as much aa if not more than a 24" 1280/720 both have a low pdpi (pixel dots per inch).
a 1920/1080 22 inch has a medium pdpi of about 96-100 pixels per inch and will need less aa, about half or x4 max.
a 2560/1200 23inch pretty much needs no aa as the pixel dots are so small there would be no point. you wouldn't see or you would really have to look to see any real world difference.
so the higher the pixel pitch the less aa is needed. so although bigger screens need more gfx ram they can be less intensive on the gpu because you can forgo the anti aliasing. if you have a 2 gig or more card and a fast gpu then you can easily run a 2560/1200 while still getting the same or more fps than sum1 running a 1920/1080 screen with x4 aa on the same card.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

I can see a massive difference with AA @ 1920 x 1080, especially on things like mesh fences and far away objects.

it depends on texture/polygon resolution, interference and even game engine. In general, the higher your screen resolution ("rendered resolution") is the less impact aliasing will have for you as it will be less noticeable, but if you are to zoom in at any of the aliased edges you'd still notice it.

The short answer is no, you do not need it to play video games. The bonus you get for enabling it is that aliased edges look smoother, so the graphics look more "natural" (ie you don't see jaggies in real life)