Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Battlefield 3 FXAA vs 2X MSAA vs 4X MSAA

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 3, 2012 2:52:13 PM

So my systems is this:

Intel Quad Core Q8400 OCed to 3.00 Ghz from 2.66
GTX560 non Ti stock speeds
4 GB Mushkin Ram
Hantol PSU 685 W
Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
500 GB Seagate HDD
625 GB WD HDD
Windows 7 64 bit
and i have a 6.89 Mbps and 90-100 ping. (i think that i will change ISP and have a 24 Mpbs connection in 1 month or less)
I only play multiplayer. What is better FXAA or 2X or 4X MSAA? Battlefield lags when having on 4X MSAA. Does this occur due to the combination of slow internet and not so good computer or just not good computer? Will this problem be solved when i have 24 mbps internet? Also in the nvidia control panel i can't set FXAA only for BF3 cause it says it is not supported for this application but i can enable FXAA on Global settings. Is there a way to enable FXAA only for BF3? Will BF3 lag with FXAA on? And is the V-sync in BF3 better or worse than the V-sync in Nvidia Control Panel?
July 3, 2012 2:54:00 PM

JordanK27 said:
So my systems is this:

Intel Quad Core Q8400 OCed to 3.00 Ghz from 2.66
GTX560 non Ti stock speeds
4 GB Mushkin Ram
Hantol PSU 685 W
Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
500 GB Seagate HDD
625 GB WD HDD
Windows 7 64 bit
and i have a 6.89 Mbps and 90-100 ping. (i think that i will change ISP and have a 24 Mpbs connection in 1 month or less)
I only play multiplayer. What is better FXAA or 2X or 4X MSAA? Battlefield lags when having on 4X MSAA. Does this occur due to the combination of slow internet and not so good computer or just not good computer? Will this problem be solved when i have 24 mbps internet? Also in the nvidia control panel i can't set FXAA only for BF3 cause it says it is not supported for this application but i can enable FXAA on Global settings. Is there a way to enable FXAA only for BF3? Will BF3 lag with FXAA on? And is the V-sync in BF3 better or worse than the V-sync in Nvidia Control Panel?


i play on 1680X1050
July 3, 2012 3:10:54 PM

4xMSAA is extremely demanding and especially uses a lot of VRAM. Basically, your GPU isn't good enough.

The game has it's own FXAA built into the menu, you should leave everything related to BF3 as "Use Application Settings" and just modify it in game. I'd suggest running the in game FXAA without any MSAA. I've compared screenshots and there's only a slight improvement with 2xMSAA+FXAA over just FXAA, but there's a big framerate hit. 4xMSAA produces almost imperceptible improvements to the image.
Related resources
July 3, 2012 3:27:12 PM

In my in-game settings in Antialiasing Deferred i only have 2X MSAA, 4X MSAA and OFF.
July 3, 2012 7:22:58 PM

Yeah probably. It doesn't make a big impact on performance.
July 3, 2012 7:29:29 PM

wolfram23 said:
Yeah probably. It doesn't make a big impact on performance.


ok ill try it
July 3, 2012 7:30:28 PM

oh and now that i have 6.80 mbps internet speed will the performance and the frame rate increase when i will have more than 6.80 maybe 24?
July 3, 2012 7:52:33 PM

No, shouldn't matter. Only thing is if you found everything in the game except for you was pausing, it means there was a network issue. The game only uses a few hundred kbps tops.
July 3, 2012 7:53:21 PM

your unlikely to see any improvement in fps because of your net speed. as long as you have 64k or more up, then your fps will be steady. bf3 only uses 8K packets from what i understand so you divide 8x1024 by 60 and thats how much it sends per frame. so you can see its not a huge amount of data... having low ping and well optimized line is more important than sheer bandwidth. use tcp optimizer or tuneup utilities 2011/12 to optimize your line.
also the game has net smoothing, which basically error checks the net data. turn this on and set it to about half way if you see other people juddering. you will have to wait for either a new map or re-enter the game you were playing for the effect to be noticed. basically its just packed duplication half way doubles the packet data and all the way quadruples it. but at the most you only need double unless you have a very poor connection thats prone to errors. the problem with this is that it can introduce lag on slower connections so if you start rubber banding then either the server is about to crash or you need to reduce the net smoothing... if the server doesnt crash then you know what you have to do.
July 3, 2012 8:05:44 PM

wolfram23 said:
No, shouldn't matter. Only thing is if you found everything in the game except for you was pausing, it means there was a network issue. The game only uses a few hundred kbps tops.


its fine now with high FXAA. Thank you!
!