Oct 14, 2001
I have these strange crashes/resets on a machine I just put together:
- ECS K75SA
- Athlon 1.4GHz (not overclocked) + Thermaltake Volcano 5
- GeForce 2 MX 200 64MB
- 128MB DDR
- 40GB HDD, CD, FDD
- Cheesy case with a 300W PSU and a case fan blowing inside
The situation is that often when I exit a program or game (such as RTCW maxed out on details) the system will crash or rather reset - as if you hit the reset button. My suspicion is that it's related to heat - after 30 min of running the machine, the BIOS indicates temp around 125 deg F. I know it's still within the spec but it's defenetely not to cool. On the other hand I thought that when a CPU overheats it just shuts itself down and has to cool off - here it just resets itself. Do you have any idea if it's heat-related or maybe something else?

tsiwiec

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Also do you think it's worth trying to put the Volcano with the Arctic Silver? People swear by it, saying it really improves the temp.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if you suspect heat, run it with the case open and see if it improves, you say you have a "cheesy case", does this case come with an equally "cheesy" psu ? this may be the problem.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I hope you're keeping track of both posts. Someone else recommended that you update your graphics drivers. Go read your other thread...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
actually, I personally don't think you will see an significant downswing in temps using artic silver II if you are not overclocking. It is only when you start producing above "normal" temps that this stuff kicks in. If you plan to overclock then it might be worth it to purchase some since it does not "harden" like normal thermal grease.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."