help getting XP to find a shared printer on win 95

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

I have a main system running win 95 and a secondary laptop
running Win XP Home Edition (SP1). I can't get the XP
system to find the W95 printer. I know the printer is
shared correctly on the win 95 side as my other laptop
running w98 is able to use the w95 printer ok.

Using the "Add a printer" wizard on the XP system, when I
browse for printers, it can find the Win 95 system but it
doesn't seem to show there is a printer. The search screen
returns the following:
Microsoft Windows Network
HOME (Name of home network)
COMPUTER (Name of the Win 95 system)
but it has no printers listed under COMPUTER to select to
add?

Help?

Do you have tcp/ip running on the W95 computer? I had the
same problem and after adding the tcp/ip protocal it
worked. Apparently XP only uses tcp/ip for sharing.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

yes-tcp/ip is running on the W95 computer. If I look under
network from my computer control panel it shows an entry
for TCP/IP -> Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Adapter
(NC100 v2) and print sharing is turned on on this
connection.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

"Chip" wrote:

> yes-tcp/ip is running on the W95 computer. If I look under
> network from my computer control panel it shows an entry
> for TCP/IP -> Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Adapter
> (NC100 v2) and print sharing is turned on on this
> connection.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I have a similar problem, except that my xp machine sees the printer and the
printer wizard adds the printer. but I can't print anything. I get the msg,
"page did not print, unable to create a print job". tried "net use
lpt1"...sometime it will then work, other times the net use command returns
"there is already an existing connection to this resource". So, in short,
it doesn't work!

Don