Is seems Verizon is not concerned with retaining loyal cus..

Last response: in Network Providers
March 3, 2005 1:44:45 AM

I would like to know if people have had any similar experiences, and better
luck, dealing with Verizon...

I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years (since back in their
AirTouch days) and I currently have 3 phones on a family plan, on which my
contract recently expired. I would have probably renewed my contract, to
switch to a more favorable plan, if not for a small problem...I need 3 new
phones (I have two v60i on which the hinges have broken, and my phone was
stolen). To get three new phones like the Samsung a670 or Motorola v265
would cost me $450 with a 1-yr contract. At T-Mobile I can get an almost
identical plan (actually 1600 min. vs 1500 min for Verizon) for the same $$
and up to 5 FREE PHONES that are very similar (Samsung e315, Motorola v300)
to the Verizon phones which would cost me $450. Even with a 2-yr contract,
my new-every-two credit and customer "loyalty" credits, three Verizon phones
would still cost me almost $300.

I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned with
keeping customers. Is there a good reason to pay $300-$450 to stay with
Verizon for another 1-2 yrs? It seems a better idea to take a chance and
switch to T-Mobile (from what I have read, T-Mobile seems like a close 2nd
in quality of service) and save a lot of money.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:44:46 AM

Study the coverage maps. If T-Mobile has the coverage you need, then they
sound like a good fit for your needs.

For me the network coverage is top priority. You may be able to acquire
cheaper Verizon phones if you call customer service, are willing to start a
contract, and ask for the cheapest phone deals-- you probably won't be able
to choose models you desire, but something that will work.

Ebay.com can be a source of used Verizon phones which may avoid any contract
obligation (new accounts always require a contract). I will agree that
Verizon phones are damn expensive, and not particularly interesting (if you
ask me) compared to the competition.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

March 3, 2005 1:46:58 AM

As I have said before, you don't pay your monthly bill for a phone (or
phones).
You pay monthly for the use of the SYSTEM - (not for the phone itself).

Making a decision purely based on the phone is frankly stupid. The phone is
only an access
device to the SYSTEM. Make your decision based on what SYSTEM works best for
you.

If you have been happy with Verizon's coverage, then maybe your decision
isn't that hard.

"Steve Remme" <sremme@aol.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if people have had any similar experiences, and better
>luck, dealing with Verizon...
>
> I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years (since back in their
> AirTouch days) and I currently have 3 phones on a family plan, on which my
> contract recently expired. I would have probably renewed my contract, to
> switch to a more favorable plan, if not for a small problem...I need 3 new
> phones (I have two v60i on which the hinges have broken, and my phone was
> stolen). To get three new phones like the Samsung a670 or Motorola v265
> would cost me $450 with a 1-yr contract. At T-Mobile I can get an almost
> identical plan (actually 1600 min. vs 1500 min for Verizon) for the same
> $$ and up to 5 FREE PHONES that are very similar (Samsung e315, Motorola
> v300) to the Verizon phones which would cost me $450. Even with a 2-yr
> contract, my new-every-two credit and customer "loyalty" credits, three
> Verizon phones would still cost me almost $300.
>
> I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned
> with keeping customers. Is there a good reason to pay $300-$450 to stay
> with Verizon for another 1-2 yrs? It seems a better idea to take a chance
> and switch to T-Mobile (from what I have read, T-Mobile seems like a close
> 2nd in quality of service) and save a lot of money.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:25:50 AM

Loyalty with Verizon? They could care less if you stayed or left them. They
wouldn't put you on any list to call back and keep. They don't have any
retention department and if they do, there must be one person working in
that department. If Cingular is in your area (they have gotten much better
since the AT&T merge) check them out. With roll over minutes you're able to
actually keep the minutes you pay for and not lose them at the end of the
month. My buddy at work has T-mobile and he loves it. He's got car service
through them and some other "services" all since he has a T-mobile account.
His phone, the Nokia 6820 is awesome and he loves it. He also barely goes
out of town...so who knows how it would be if he did.

"Steve Remme" <sremme@aol.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if people have had any similar experiences, and better
>luck, dealing with Verizon...
>
> I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years (since back in their
> AirTouch days) and I currently have 3 phones on a family plan, on which my
> contract recently expired. I would have probably renewed my contract, to
> switch to a more favorable plan, if not for a small problem...I need 3 new
> phones (I have two v60i on which the hinges have broken, and my phone was
> stolen). To get three new phones like the Samsung a670 or Motorola v265
> would cost me $450 with a 1-yr contract. At T-Mobile I can get an almost
> identical plan (actually 1600 min. vs 1500 min for Verizon) for the same
> $$ and up to 5 FREE PHONES that are very similar (Samsung e315, Motorola
> v300) to the Verizon phones which would cost me $450. Even with a 2-yr
> contract, my new-every-two credit and customer "loyalty" credits, three
> Verizon phones would still cost me almost $300.
>
> I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned
> with keeping customers. Is there a good reason to pay $300-$450 to stay
> with Verizon for another 1-2 yrs? It seems a better idea to take a chance
> and switch to T-Mobile (from what I have read, T-Mobile seems like a close
> 2nd in quality of service) and save a lot of money.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:00:21 PM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:44:45 -0700, "Steve Remme" <sremme@aol.com> wrote:
>I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned with
>keeping customers.

Have you talked to them about your needs? I wanted to renew and get a
subsidized phone, but the new contracts no longer had a feature I needed.
I wrote Verizon Wireless a letter, and they called me back with an offer.
End result was that I got the phone I wanted and a calling plan with the
feature I wanted.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

"Steve Remme" <sremme@aol.com> wrote in message

I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned
with
> keeping customers.

That's been my experience as well. I've been a customer for about 8 years--
sometimes on contract, sometimes just month to month. They generally don't
offer renewing customers any better deal than what a new guy could get just
walking up to the counter.

It used to be you could negotiate some concessions with the staff in the
company stores-- but they've large stripped them of any real power and you
need to deal with the call center CSRs instead. A word on that-- if you
don't like what one tells you, hang up and call back. The next one will
probably do something different for you. They seem to have some discretion.

Even so, VZW's churn rate is still lower than the others. My guess is they
won't change until the churn rate gets unacceptably high for them-- whatever
that number is...

Ike
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:15:01 PM

> It used to be you could negotiate some concessions

I personally get offended when companies offer other customers
better deals than they offer me, especially if they only do
so to prevent the others from leaving. (Little differences
don't matter).

It strongly implies that they are gouging me, since they can
afford to give others more for less, and gives the worst customers
(those threatening to leave) rewards for that.

Roger
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:15:02 PM

Roger Binns wrote:
>> It used to be you could negotiate some concessions
>
> I personally get offended when companies offer other
> customers better deals than they offer me, especially if
> they only do
> so to prevent the others from leaving. (Little
> differences
> don't matter).
>
> It strongly implies that they are gouging me, since they
> can afford to give others more for less, and gives the
> worst customers (those threatening to leave) rewards for
> that.

Exactly. Most everybody pays a little more to fund the
special cases.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:51:59 PM

Steve Remme wrote:
> I would like to know if people have had any similar experiences, and
> better luck, dealing with Verizon...
>
> I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years (since back in their
> AirTouch days) and I currently have 3 phones on a family plan, on
> which my contract recently expired. I would have probably renewed my
> contract, to switch to a more favorable plan, if not for a small
> problem...I need 3 new phones (I have two v60i on which the hinges
> have broken, and my phone was stolen). To get three new phones like
> the Samsung a670 or Motorola v265 would cost me $450 with a 1-yr
> contract. At T-Mobile I can get an almost identical plan (actually
> 1600 min. vs 1500 min for Verizon) for the same $$ and up to 5 FREE
> PHONES that are very similar (Samsung e315, Motorola v300) to the
> Verizon phones which would cost me $450. Even with a 2-yr contract,
> my new-every-two credit and customer "loyalty" credits, three Verizon
> phones would still cost me almost $300.
> I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not
> concerned with keeping customers. Is there a good reason to pay
> $300-$450 to stay with Verizon for another 1-2 yrs? It seems a better
> idea to take a chance and switch to T-Mobile (from what I have read,
> T-Mobile seems like a close 2nd in quality of service) and save a lot
> of money.

WTF? Vz has the Buy one, get THREE free phones on the family plan.
Read, then complain! Four phones for as little as a total of $19.00.
Two year contract.

March 4, 2005 1:38:37 AM

Verizon's service is superior to T-MOBILE in every market. If I have a
Mercedes S 600 and my lease is up, I think the local Mercedes dealer should
give me another S 600 for the price of a Ford Focus... I mean, "it's just a
car, isn't it?" If you want superior service, you should be willing to pay
a little more for it. If you want the inferior cellular service that
T-Mobile offers, save a few bucks.

-X

"Steve Remme" <sremme@aol.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if people have had any similar experiences, and better
>luck, dealing with Verizon...
>
> I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years (since back in their
> AirTouch days) and I currently have 3 phones on a family plan, on which my
> contract recently expired. I would have probably renewed my contract, to
> switch to a more favorable plan, if not for a small problem...I need 3 new
> phones (I have two v60i on which the hinges have broken, and my phone was
> stolen). To get three new phones like the Samsung a670 or Motorola v265
> would cost me $450 with a 1-yr contract. At T-Mobile I can get an almost
> identical plan (actually 1600 min. vs 1500 min for Verizon) for the same
> $$ and up to 5 FREE PHONES that are very similar (Samsung e315, Motorola
> v300) to the Verizon phones which would cost me $450. Even with a 2-yr
> contract, my new-every-two credit and customer "loyalty" credits, three
> Verizon phones would still cost me almost $300.
>
> I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned
> with keeping customers. Is there a good reason to pay $300-$450 to stay
> with Verizon for another 1-2 yrs? It seems a better idea to take a chance
> and switch to T-Mobile (from what I have read, T-Mobile seems like a close
> 2nd in quality of service) and save a lot of money.

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:01:32 AM

Ira Hayes wrote:

>-- if you
> don't like what one tells you, hang up and call back. The next one will
> probably do something different for you. They seem to have some discretion.

Definitely the best advice for dealing with Verizon!

-Pete
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:19:31 AM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:c8CdncSvz6tt5brfRVn-
sw@comcast.com:

> Steve Remme wrote:
>> have broken, and my phone was stolen). To get three new phones like
>> the Samsung a670 or Motorola v265 would cost me $450 with a 1-yr
>> contract. At T-Mobile I can get an almost identical plan (actually
>
> WTF? Vz has the Buy one, get THREE free phones on the family plan.
> Read, then complain! Four phones for as little as a total of $19.00.
> Two year contract.

Maybe it varies by specific markets, but I was going to say the same thing.
I just got a letter from Verizon a week or so ago pushing multiple free
phones and the family share plan if I renew my contract (which expires next
month).

David
March 4, 2005 8:12:18 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:38:37 GMT, "Xyloc" <Xyloc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Verizon's service is superior to T-MOBILE in every market. If I have a
>Mercedes S 600 and my lease is up, I think the local Mercedes dealer should
>give me another S 600 for the price of a Ford Focus... I mean, "it's just a
>car, isn't it?" If you want superior service, you should be willing to pay
>a little more for it. If you want the inferior cellular service that
>T-Mobile offers, save a few bucks.

What applies is that you get what works for you. Believe it or not
Verizon doesn't work for everyone (gasp!!) Of course Verizon fanboys
won't want to hear this.

March 4, 2005 4:24:26 PM

Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:38:37 GMT, "Xyloc" <Xyloc@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Verizon's service is superior to T-MOBILE in every market.

Even in certain parts of Minnesota? T-Mobile offers service in many
markets that Verizon Wireless does not, therefore in those markets,
T-Mobile is automatically better, as Verizon Wireless is NO SERVICE.

TH
March 6, 2005 2:32:25 AM

That's the way it is. They have your contract signed by you and could care
less how you feel afterwards. Also, they're not in the "feelings" business.
It is business, but it's also not a good thing to offer you one set price,
have a contract signed, then one month later offer some one else a better
price for the same thing. They also know you have a hefty termination
fee...to which would compensate them for what I don't know if you decided to
leave. Any company having a termination fee tells me they can't stand behind
their own services or company. Too bad. Yes, some know I work for the cable
company. My company provides a service on a monthly cycle, and you can
cancel ANYTIME without paying a termination fee or any other fee. Then you
can sign back up the next day if you want and pay no extra fees...then do it
all over again and still not pay any extra fees or termination fees. O
well..some are better then others. We should lobby for cellular phone
companies not to charge a termination fee because based on the type of
service it is does take some time to see if it works out ok or not. OR, keep
the lousy termination fee but give customer's ample time to see if the
service works well for them or not. 2 weeks to see if a cell phone service
is good or not is not long enough.

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
>> It used to be you could negotiate some concessions
>
> I personally get offended when companies offer other customers
> better deals than they offer me, especially if they only do
> so to prevent the others from leaving. (Little differences
> don't matter).
>
> It strongly implies that they are gouging me, since they can
> afford to give others more for less, and gives the worst customers
> (those threatening to leave) rewards for that.
>
> Roger

March 6, 2005 2:37:08 AM

Dude, any person that graduated business school or is a business person will
tell you retention is a crucial part of keeping the business together and
everyone happy. If Verizon is lacking in that department then that's their
problem and will have to deal with it later...because keeping customer's out
of retention is like a chess move. A chess move hours away...which in
business terms for Verizon is for years away. Not for now..but for years
down the road when they will need customer's because business is bad. I'm
actually happy to hear that they have no retention plan...just indicates how
stupid they really are and will be struggling just more and more later on.

"Xyloc" <Xyloc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Verizon's service is superior to T-MOBILE in every market. If I have a
> Mercedes S 600 and my lease is up, I think the local Mercedes dealer
> should give me another S 600 for the price of a Ford Focus... I mean,
> "it's just a car, isn't it?" If you want superior service, you should be
> willing to pay a little more for it. If you want the inferior cellular
> service that T-Mobile offers, save a few bucks.
>
> -X
>
> "Steve Remme" <sremme@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I would like to know if people have had any similar experiences, and
>>better luck, dealing with Verizon...
>>
>> I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years (since back in their
>> AirTouch days) and I currently have 3 phones on a family plan, on which
>> my contract recently expired. I would have probably renewed my contract,
>> to switch to a more favorable plan, if not for a small problem...I need 3
>> new phones (I have two v60i on which the hinges have broken, and my phone
>> was stolen). To get three new phones like the Samsung a670 or Motorola
>> v265 would cost me $450 with a 1-yr contract. At T-Mobile I can get an
>> almost identical plan (actually 1600 min. vs 1500 min for Verizon) for
>> the same $$ and up to 5 FREE PHONES that are very similar (Samsung e315,
>> Motorola v300) to the Verizon phones which would cost me $450. Even with
>> a 2-yr contract, my new-every-two credit and customer "loyalty" credits,
>> three Verizon phones would still cost me almost $300.
>>
>> I am VERY disappointed in Verizon, it seems that they are not concerned
>> with keeping customers. Is there a good reason to pay $300-$450 to stay
>> with Verizon for another 1-2 yrs? It seems a better idea to take a chance
>> and switch to T-Mobile (from what I have read, T-Mobile seems like a
>> close 2nd in quality of service) and save a lot of money.

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:37:09 AM

Xman wrote:
> Dude, any person that graduated business school or is a
> business person will tell you retention is a crucial part
> of keeping the business together and everyone happy. If
> Verizon is lacking in that department then that's their
> problem and will have to deal with it later...because
> keeping customer's out of retention is like a chess move.
> A chess move hours away...which in business terms for
> Verizon is for years away. Not for now..but for years
> down the road when they will need customer's because
> business is bad. I'm actually happy to hear that they
> have no retention plan...just indicates how stupid they
> really are and will be struggling just more and more
> later on.

Xman, how bad will things have to get before your
wife will let you go back to Cingular?

-Quick
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:37:09 AM

"Xman" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote in message news:112l27rpd75c58c@corp.supernews.com...
> I'm actually happy to hear that they have no retention plan...just indicates how stupid they really are and will be struggling
> just more and more later on.

By not offering excessive sweetners to people who threaten to leave, they
keep customers like me. In fact they keep me loyal by doing that. So I
guess we cancel each other out.

Several years ago Amazon experimented with giving people different prices
based on which browser was used and if you had visited the site before.
There was huge uproar because customers don't like being treated differently.

Something based on volume of business is fine, and VZW does do that. (They'll
give you a better price break on a new phone if you spend $1000 a month with
them than $10). And with something like NE2 they make one of the common
retetion benefits visible.

Roger
March 7, 2005 1:53:38 AM

She runs the show. I'm not afraid to admit it...but most guys are.

> Xman wrote:
>> Dude, any person that graduated business school or is a
>> business person will tell you retention is a crucial part
>> of keeping the business together and everyone happy. If
>> Verizon is lacking in that department then that's their
>> problem and will have to deal with it later...because
>> keeping customer's out of retention is like a chess move.
>> A chess move hours away...which in business terms for
>> Verizon is for years away. Not for now..but for years
>> down the road when they will need customer's because
>> business is bad. I'm actually happy to hear that they
>> have no retention plan...just indicates how stupid they
>> really are and will be struggling just more and more
>> later on.
>
> Xman, how bad will things have to get before your
> wife will let you go back to Cingular?
>
> -Quick

March 7, 2005 1:59:55 AM

Better yet, gimme your SS#. I'm sure you'll have no issues in giving it to
me.

!