Shared printers fail after SP2

keith

We have a domain with SBS 2003 and 5 XP Pro workstations.
All the users have local printers that are shared. All
users could print to any other printer through the
shares.

After installing XP SP2, users can only print to their
local printer. Error message says they don't have access
rights to other computers. None of the access rights have
changed since before SP2. (Everyone - print access, etc.)
I'm assuming SP2 added more security somewhere. What do we
need to change to get printer shares working again?

You need to enable an exception for File and Printer Sharing within
the local network in the new Firewall settings on each XP system.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:26:40 -0700, "Keith"
<webappl@pulleninc.com.nospam> wrote:

>We have a domain with SBS 2003 and 5 XP Pro workstations.
>All the users have local printers that are shared. All
>users could print to any other printer through the
>shares.
>
>After installing XP SP2, users can only print to their
>local printer. Error message says they don't have access
>rights to other computers. None of the access rights have
>changed since before SP2. (Everyone - print access, etc.)
>I'm assuming SP2 added more security somewhere. What do we
>need to change to get printer shares working again?

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

keith

Does this need to be done even though the XP firewall is
turned off on all the machines? The computers are all
using NAT behind hardware firewall. Is it possible that
installing SP2 turned on the XP firewall? I can verify
when I get back to the office Monday but I'm pretty sure I
checked that on at least one machine after installing
SP2. I know the XP firewall was off before installing SP2.

It is virtually _certain_ that installing SP2 will have turned on the
XP firewall, unless it was _subsequently_ turned off, since this is
the default in SP2 and SP2 will whine at you if you have a network and
the firewall is turned off!

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:35:15 -0700, "Keith"
<Webappl@pulleninc.com.nospam> wrote:

>Does this need to be done even though the XP firewall is
>turned off on all the machines? The computers are all
>using NAT behind hardware firewall. Is it possible that
>installing SP2 turned on the XP firewall? I can verify
>when I get back to the office Monday but I'm pretty sure I
>checked that on at least one machine after installing
>SP2. I know the XP firewall was off before installing SP2.

The XP firewall was turned back on at all XP machines
after installing SP2. But file and print sharing was also
already enabled so that wasn't the problem. I installed
several updates on SBS 2003 that were related to XP SP2
and everything seems to be back to normal now. Apparently
SBS 2003 needs to be patched in order to function properly
with XP SP2.