Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Subject: Printing banners with Windows XP, and Broderbund
Family Tree Maker 6.0.
Have tried on two different computers: Gateway
Performance 1000 (Pentium III, 1.0 Ghz, 512 MB Ram) and
HP 5385 Laptop (Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz, 512 MB Ram). In both
cases when using Family Tree Maker in an attempt to print
a continuous or banner printout the result is the right
most or last page is printed properly, the next page is
blank, the third page results in the printer stopping and
the page feed light is illuminated. Pressing the page
feed button on the printer causes another sheet of the
banner to advance, but nothing is printed.
If I use the Family Tree Maker to print the same
document, but select print overlap option all of the data
is printed, and formatted correctly. My conclusion is
that Windows XP Home Edition cannot support the
continuous or banner print mode available in the HP 932C
Ink Jet Printer. This capability was available in
Windows 95, 98 and ME all of which I had previously used
with the same printer and same version of the Family Tree
Maker.

Buck wrote:
> Subject: Printing banners with Windows XP, and Broderbund
> Family Tree Maker 6.0.
> Have tried on two different computers: Gateway
> Performance 1000 (Pentium III, 1.0 Ghz, 512 MB Ram) and
> HP 5385 Laptop (Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz, 512 MB Ram). In both
> cases when using Family Tree Maker in an attempt to print
> a continuous or banner printout the result is the right
> most or last page is printed properly, the next page is
> blank, the third page results in the printer stopping and
> the page feed light is illuminated. Pressing the page
> feed button on the printer causes another sheet of the
> banner to advance, but nothing is printed.
> If I use the Family Tree Maker to print the same
> document, but select print overlap option all of the data
> is printed, and formatted correctly. My conclusion is
> that Windows XP Home Edition cannot support the
> continuous or banner print mode available in the HP 932C
> Ink Jet Printer. This capability was available in
> Windows 95, 98 and ME all of which I had previously used
> with the same printer and same version of the Family Tree
> Maker.

Have you installed the XP version of the HP printer driver? If not, download
and install an XP driver from HP. Make sure that if you do this, you
uninstall the old driver, and unattach the printer cable. Do not reconnect
it until the driver installer says to. You also appear to be using a very
old version of Family Tree Maker-the current version seems to be about
version 12(or equivalent). You may need to upgrade the program so that it
also supports XP. However, the 932c, while an excellent printer(I still have
2) is suffering from its age. HP has not upgraded the printer driver in
years, and the driver included in XP doesn't allow you to use all the
features of the printer. You may be out of luck unless you can find a
Windows 98 or ME machine somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler

Later, you may try here: http://genforum.genealogy.com/printing/ for help.