Thermal Paste Application

G

Is there a good way to apply thermal paste, my system is now on its way and I'd like to be well versed on the subject to minimize installation time. What works best to apply it. Should I cut a piece of cardboard, spread the Artic Silver II out on it a bit, then kinda like painting put a thin layer across the CPU. On another note, should I place tape around the CPU as in Tom's XP unlocking guide and apply it that way so it doesn't get messy. Or will this damage the processor? I always try and do the neatest, most efficient job possible. Any help would be appreciated.

History? Irrelevant Excuses? Leave em! Heart? Relevant Skill? Bring it! ~Talon's school of whoop***~

G

the way i did it was to put a small bead on the die, and use a razor blade to spread it out. Got an even coat, and you can get the layer very thin that way, too. did the same thing to the bottom of my heatsink. I'm not an overclocker or anything, but the system works fine.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
check out <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com</A> they have good descriptions.

The method I use is after surface preparation, apply a small (1/2 grain rice) amount to on endo of the cpu CORE and then spread into a single, thin film using an old credit card or similar. Final result will ideally be very thin, flat and even, without ridges, bubbles or hair/fluff on. Mount the heatsink flat onto the chip, hold in place to prevent slipping and twisting, then lock the connector in place.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
go to <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">arctic silvers site</A> and click on the instructions.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

emmm one question here, do i need to apply thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink?i thought only on the die of the processor?

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
yes, put a very small amount on the bottome of the heatsink as well, use a sandwich bag to avoid greasy fingers, and rub a tiny amount like you are polishing shoes. The idea is to just fill the microscopic pits and recesses in the heatsink.

Also since your planning to use Artic Silver I asume you are planning major overclocking? I would lap your heatsink.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

G

I'm a newbie here, please spare the laugh. What if I just apply the compound on the heatsink and clamp it on the CPU straight up, would that makes my CPU hotter? How hotter will my CPU be? What's the temp difference between your method and a plain ole straight up install?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
it is more likely to have an air bubble in there if you just slap it on.
sure, these air bubbles are going to be small, but they will insulate the cpu...raising the temp a few degrees.
what you do is put a small ammount on the core...eh...dude
ust look at arctic silvers site, there are links to it in this thread.
if you do it otherwise, you might be able to get it on there with no air bubbles, but with a 200+ cpu and board at stake, why risk it?
do it the tried and true way...unless you want to experiment, and risk having to buy a new cpu...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-