12.5 max multiplier ???

G

I'm lazy, so I'm going to post a discution between my and a guy that works for Soltek (mobo manufacturer). You will understand what is my question and maybe have some suggestions.

My first email:

Hi!I have a Soltek SL75KAV motherboard and an 1200/200
Athlon CPU (factory unlocked multiplier). My
motherboard jumpers let my fix a maximum multiplier of12.5
Question: there is a way I can set a multiplier of 13
X or abouve??? (for overclocking, of course...).PLEASE, answer me streight!
THANK YOU.
Cristi.

Soltek technician answer:
Dear Sir:Sorry to reply you very late.Concerning to your problem.As below was my
suggestion.
1:First of all.I have one question want to ask you.Does your AMD 1.2Ghz
processor belongs to 133Mhz FSB speed or 100Mhz?
2:Secondly.If your processor belongs to 133Mhz FSB speed.Then.I thought
that it is very difficult to overclock the multiplier up to 13X or
14X.Because all of AMD K7 processor must has some limitation on
the multiplier.
3:Thirdly.I thought that you do not need to set any Jumper setting for
the Bus ratio.Because it was full controlled by BIOS.

My answer to his message:

Sir, thank you very much for your answer. I wasn't very clear in my first message (see below) but I will try to correct it now by answering your questions.

1. My AMD Athlon B AVIA stepping processor belongs to
100 Mhz FSB speed.

2. As I was saying to no. 1., I have a 100Mhz FSB speed CPU with a default multiplier of 12X. You already now this: 12*100=1200 Mhz. Another feature of this CPU is its soldered L1 bridges that allows the multiplier to be set by user.

My problem comes from the following situation: Soltek SL75KAV motherboard has an ajustable multiplier of maximum 12.5X. Thus, if I try the only acceptable (for me)overclocking - multiplier overclocking - the maximum speed I can hit is 12.5*100=1250 Mhz. A 50 Mhz increase doesn't desearve the trouble...
I tested the CPU on my friend's motherboard (MSI K7 Turbo VIA KT133A chipset). That motherboard has multiplier ajustment within BIOS and he can choose 13X or even 14X from there... and the CPU runs very well at 1300 Mhz.

3. Here, sir, you may excuse my poor english (I'm Romanian). You wrote:
"3:Thirdly.I thought that you do not need to set any Jumper setting for the Bus ratio.Because it was full controlled by BIOS."
What is Bus ratio? I know that soltek SL75KAV has a front side bus (or CPU external clock)fully adjustable from BIOS. I can chose 101 Mhz front side bus, 102Mhz fsb, 103Mhz fsb and so on...but I only need a way of setting the multiplier over 12.5X... can you help me here? Did soltek released a BIOS for SL75KAV that allows multiplier adjustment (that has values of 13X, 14X) within BIOS? Or is there another way to acomplish this?

Other than that, I'm happy with my motherboard, it served me well.

THANK YOU for answering and I'm looking forward to hearing you again. And I mean it !!!

Cristi.

Any thoughts ???

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If you have the latest BIOS, you can try seeting the multiplier at 5x. According to some mobo and AMD specs, this should be interpreted as 14x since a socket A 500 cpu was never released. This is to support the B type 1400 cpu.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

Last night I manually set the multiplier to 12.5X. Than a whierd thing happend: I smiled while my comp posted 1300 Mhz Athlon.
Let's see 12.5*100= 1300 ??? I should go back to school...
But, after some investigation I discovered that somehow my mobo set by itself the fsb 104Mhz...12.5*104=1300 OK. By WHY did it dio that? Anybody has any ideea???

And, peteb, thank you for your answer! I just received a few minutes ago the answer of soltek's techinician: he sent me the jumper setting for a mobo (hope is my model)with 14X multiplier setting. I already noticed that in the picture it says 12.x or 13X have the same setting (???) and 5X setting is missing. So you may be right, but I cannot verify that right now cause I'm at work...I will compare the %x setting from my mobo's manual with the 14X setting from the picture I just received. Something tells my that they will be identical. And, of course, I'll try the 14X overclocking and post here the results.

Thank you againg for answering and please pay attention to my question: Why 104 Mhz fsb??? what is the deal with the 12.5X&13X multipliers???

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think it is a fudge for the 1300B support, in the same way. I suspect if you check with a copy of WCPUID it is actually 13x 100, but maybe they do up the FSB. Hopefully your board will do the 14x thing (100FSB) and you'll have a great little system - don't think they have, or will release anything higher though.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

Just as a note on the replacement of multiplyer settingsd ie 5 = 13, on my athlon t-bird 1.4 if i set the multiplier to 12.5 i actually get 13, i have seen a few reports of this so have a play around... u never know!

just thought id add that i verified this in wincpuid. And that that was at 100*13, if only it would do 140*13...
My other sig is thought provolking and interesting.(And spelt corectly:eek:)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by evolotion on 11/19/01 06:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>