EQ server mergers

"Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9638D4057B66BRumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16...
> This is one of the issues that struck me when they first mentioned the
> server mergers...
>
> http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20050405

Yep, so they added a new title 'of YourServerHere', ie, 'Vhan of Brell',
etc.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:47:17 GMT, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

>Yep, so they added a new title 'of YourServerHere', ie, 'Vhan of Brell',
>etc.

and there's also an 'x' added to your name if your name is also the
same as other and other has more played time.

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in news:VWF7e.3205$WP4.973@newsfe6-
gui.ntli.net:

> "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is one of the issues that struck me when they first mentioned the
>> server mergers...
>>
>> http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20050405
>
> Yep, so they added a new title 'of YourServerHere', ie, 'Vhan of Brell',
> etc.

Actually, one will be Vhah, the other will be Vhahx. Both having the
option of the "of <servername>" title.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in news:VWF7e.3205$WP4.973@newsfe6-
> gui.ntli.net:
>

> > "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
> >> This is one of the issues that struck me when they first mentioned the
> >> server mergers...
> >>
> >> http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20050405
> >
> > Yep, so they added a new title 'of YourServerHere', ie, 'Vhan of Brell',
> > etc.
> >

> Actually, one will be Vhah, the other will be Vhahx. Both having the
> option of the "of <servername>" title.

Ahh, and its the first created character who keeps their original name I
guess?

<ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in news:VWF7e.3205$WP4.973@newsfe6-
> > gui.ntli.net:
> >

> > > "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Yep, so they added a new title 'of YourServerHere', ie, 'Vhan of Brell',
> > > etc.
> > >

> > Actually, one will be Vhah, the other will be Vhahx. Both having the
> > option of the "of <servername>" title.
>
> Ahh, and its the first created character who keeps their original name I
> guess?

The one with the most played time.

Luckily I play far too much to be unseated by a bazaar mule, but I am quite
sure some will be.

"Lord Fanedx the Mad Monk of Rodcet Nife" would just look weird. Wait, it
still looks weird without the x. =P

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:58:23 GMT, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

>Ahh, and its the first created character who keeps their original name I
>guess?

No, the one with the most played time. Someone created a lvl 1 toon 6
months ago just for bazaar mule and been on 24/7 (over 4000 hours)
could retain name even if another with same name created 5 years ago,
played around and knows a lot of people but been on maybe 1 hour a day
(less than 2000 hours).

I know it doesn't seems fair but that's how SoE decided. I have
checked the server I'm merging into and a couple of my toons have the
same name. My main's is among them but I can't get a hold of other
(never on, no reply to emails) so I have no way of knowing which one
of us will keep the name. If I lose mine, I hope that other won't
mind getting about 20-30 tells the minute he logs on as it's one
disadvantage of being a guild officer.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:24:38 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

> I have checked the server I'm merging into and a couple of my toons have
> the same name.

How are you doing this? By repeated attempts to create characters on the "other" server?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:58:12 -0500, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk>
wrote:

>How are you doing this? By repeated attempts to create characters
>on the "other" server?

Easiest way: create a new toon on the other server you're merging to
and send an email. If it bounces your name is probably not used on
that server. If it goes through, you have a dupe name and pray the
person recieving the email is friendly and can work with you in
advance of the merger (ie fighuring who has the most played time,
warning about recieving mistells due to changed names)

This way you can have one toon cover up to 8 possible conflicting
names. I'm not going to worry if my bazaar mule got an x in her name
as she almost never leave Bazaar anyway.

Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk> writes:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:24:38 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
> > I have checked the server I'm merging into and a couple of my toons have
> > the same name.
>
> How are you doing this? By repeated attempts to create characters on the
> "other" server?

That's certainly the easiest way. It doesn't even take "repeated"
attempts. Just go to the other server and try to create a character
with that name. If it's not accepted, it means the character already
exists on that server. (Or else the character name rules have changed
since the time when you created it on your own server, such that the
name is no longer allowed anywhere. But that's pretty rare.)

Another way would be to send email and see if you get told there's no
such mailbox. But that requires figuring out something appropriate to
say in the email. Be polite! :)

Of course, it may be that the other character with your name turns out
to be under level 10 and not played in the past six months, and thus it
gets deleted during the merge. Then there'd be no competition for the
name. But I don't know any way to find that out ahead of time. (You
might find out it's NOT the case, of course, e.g. by getting a reply to
your email.)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in

> Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk> writes:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:24:38 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
>> > I have checked the server I'm merging into and a couple of my toons
>> > have the same name.
>>
>> How are you doing this? By repeated attempts to create characters on
>> the "other" server?
>
> That's certainly the easiest way. It doesn't even take "repeated"
> attempts. Just go to the other server and try to create a character
> with that name.

I don't know if the rules have changed within the past couple of years, but
I do know that I've had trouble in the past using the same name twice, but
not always. It seemed that I stood a greater chance of re-using the name of
one of my deleted characters if the new character was of the same race. I
had at least one situation where I was unable to use a deleted character's
name for one of a different race.

Therefore, I, myself, would be careful of how I created any temporary
characters just to check for name availability.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Rumbledor wrote:
> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
>
> > Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk> writes:
> >>
> >> How are you doing this? By repeated attempts to create characters
on
> >> the "other" server?
> >
> > That's certainly the easiest way. It doesn't even take "repeated"
> > attempts. Just go to the other server and try to create a
character
> > with that name.
>
> I don't know if the rules have changed within the past couple of
years, but
> I do know that I've had trouble in the past using the same name
twice, but
> not always. It seemed that I stood a greater chance of re-using the
name of
> one of my deleted characters if the new character was of the same
race. I
> had at least one situation where I was unable to use a deleted
character's
> name for one of a different race.
>
> Therefore, I, myself, would be careful of how I created any temporary

> characters just to check for name availability.

That doesn't really matter in this case. If you were to create a
temporary character with the same name as you and it succeeds then you
can just leave it there and it'll have an X appended to its name and
the character you want would be fine. (assuming that you don't play
the temporary character more than you've ever played the character you
want to keep)

steve.kaye

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in

> Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk> writes:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:24:38 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
>> > I have checked the server I'm merging into and a couple of my toons
>> > have the same name.
>>
>> How are you doing this? By repeated attempts to create characters on
>> the "other" server?
>
> That's certainly the easiest way. It doesn't even take "repeated"
> attempts. Just go to the other server and try to create a character
> with that name. If it's not accepted, it means the character already
> exists on that server. (Or else the character name rules have changed
> since the time when you created it on your own server, such that the
> name is no longer allowed anywhere. But that's pretty rare.)

Or a GM is in a bad mood and decides to reject it... :b