Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VZW Prepay Changes Again - To "inPulse"

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 3, 2005 4:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I'm surprised no one has talked about the major changes to Verizon
Wireless' prepay system...even more extensive than when they
rejiggered it from the old "FreeUp" system.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...

Here's the good and the bad. We'll start with the good, but wait till
we get to the bad... ;) 

Good:
---------
Unlimited VZW in-Network calling is now included
Unlimited nights/weekends are now included
Calls outside those hours are now 10 cents a minute, without the first
25 cent "connection charge"

Ah, but...

Bad:
-------
To get access to all these cool benefits, VZW now automatically will
charge "inPulse" accounts 99 cents a day. Period. Even on days you
don't use it.

So, for those looking for a "prepay phone to have around", this just
upped the cost to just under $30 a month, and that does NOT include
whatever money you spend making calls! So, if you put, say, $30 in
there, it would be completely eaten up by the service charges within a
month.

They're apparently going after a different prepay market now... those
who want similar features to the postpaid accounts without going
through credit checks. The unlimited N/W and in-Network is a great
thing, but it'll cost you $30 to use it every month. VZW
Prepay/"inPulse" is not going to be for casual users anymore.

Oh, and one more thing. From the coverage maps, it appears they are
slicing off ALL non-VZW network roaming. I can't confirm this, but
former Alltel areas, for example, are now showing "No Service".
However, the page above does mention a now-lower 69c/min. roaming fee
(it was 99c/min in the FreeUp days, at least), so maybe the maps are
not accurate.

This doesn't affect me at all, since I went to postpaid long ago, but
it's an interesting development.

Mike

More about : vzw prepay inpulse

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:34:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:4mbd219mkph0ojsa6a7rgtmp8gjm955r8n@4ax.com...
> I'm surprised no one has talked about the major changes to Verizon
> Wireless' prepay system...even more extensive than when they
> rejiggered it from the old "FreeUp" system.
>
>
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...
---snip---snip---snip---

I was considering terminating my current Verizon plan and going with a
prepaid plan because of extremely low usage. I may still do that, but
Verizon won't even be in the running. They must be targeting the mentally
impaired with their new prepaid plan. Sheesh!
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:46:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Joe Kaffe wrote:
> "Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:4mbd219mkph0ojsa6a7rgtmp8gjm955r8n@4ax.com...
>> I'm surprised no one has talked about the major changes
>> to Verizon Wireless' prepay system...even more extensive
>> than when they rejiggered it from the old "FreeUp"
>> system.
>>
>>
>
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...
iewPrepayOverview
> ---snip---snip---snip---
>
> I was considering terminating my current Verizon plan and
> going with a prepaid plan because of extremely low usage.
> I may still do that, but Verizon won't even be in the
> running. They must be targeting the mentally impaired
> with their new prepaid plan. Sheesh!

Maybe they feel that they have to offer the service but
want to reduce it. I would guess it to be a large variable
in network resource planing. Unless they have capacity
to burn they may be looking to better insure bandwidth
for postpaid customers.

-Quick
Related resources
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:49:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Depending upon the situation, it might not be bad. I'll be visiting an
area where Verizon Wireless has a monopoly, and I could use this in
place of my GSM phone I normally use.

The plan can be used with any VZW capable Tri-Mode phone?

TH
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I thought it required specific phones designed for prepaid use.

"Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:4227CCC0.2090106@example.net...
> Depending upon the situation, it might not be bad. I'll be visiting an
> area where Verizon Wireless has a monopoly, and I could use this in place
> of my GSM phone I normally use.
>
> The plan can be used with any VZW capable Tri-Mode phone?
>
> TH
>
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:18:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

cricket wrote:
> I thought it required specific phones designed for prepaid use.

Any phone can be used for prepaid with Verizon; at least it used to be that
way. The Prepay-specific phones may have had special firmware that does stuff
like letting you know how many prepaid minutes you have left...


--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
March 4, 2005 8:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:34:22 -0800, "Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>
>"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:4mbd219mkph0ojsa6a7rgtmp8gjm955r8n@4ax.com...
>> I'm surprised no one has talked about the major changes to Verizon
>> Wireless' prepay system...even more extensive than when they
>> rejiggered it from the old "FreeUp" system.
>>
>>
>http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...
>---snip---snip---snip---
>
>I was considering terminating my current Verizon plan and going with a
>prepaid plan because of extremely low usage. I may still do that, but
>Verizon won't even be in the running. They must be targeting the mentally
>impaired with their new prepaid plan. Sheesh

I suppose if you're willing to pay a minimum of $30 a month for
prepaid service it might be a good deal. It definitely would be a
poor choice for an occasional caller.

It might be good for a foreigner who cannot get monthly service or for
someone who's credit challenged. I can't see who else would want it.
(And I believe you also pay for voicemail deposits as well.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:35:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...

It doesn't look that bad in comparison to their post paid plans.
But it no longer addresses the low usage population,
like the old traditional prepaid plans did.

It is basically their $39.99 America's choice plan at a slight discount
with the 450 anytime minutes, and free roaming striped.

Or you could basically state that it's a replacement for a non contract post
pay service.

Basically like the AT&T (cingular) go phone, and Alltel's prepaid service.

Unless they come up with a replacement for their low use customers,
they are basically trying to rid them selves of the old style prepaid
service.

It would appear as thou they are trying to push their ARPU figure up.
Yes/no?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:39:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

One small correction: unlimited nights are included, there are no free
weekend minutes that I am aware of. Specfically Sunday - Saturday... 7 days
a week, sorry, no free weekends with the plan

Unlimite Night Minutes: Talk to anyone during the night hours (9:01 pm-5:59
am Sun - Sat; 99¢ daily access applies).

We used to say that pre-paid was the cheapest and best plan for the casual
user at $15 a month... and the rollover!! Don't know which market they are
trying to reach now, but the after 9pm free calling, and free "in" is pretty
attractive. If you use your phone during peak time, you just have to pay
for it as well. But still no credit check, you just need a phone, and any
vzw approved phone will do!
--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:4mbd219mkph0ojsa6a7rgtmp8gjm955r8n@4ax.com...
> I'm surprised no one has talked about the major changes to Verizon
> Wireless' prepay system...even more extensive than when they
> rejiggered it from the old "FreeUp" system.
>
>
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?ite...
>
> Here's the good and the bad. We'll start with the good, but wait till
> we get to the bad... ;) 
>
> Good:
> ---------
> Unlimited VZW in-Network calling is now included
> Unlimited nights/weekends are now included
> Calls outside those hours are now 10 cents a minute, without the first
> 25 cent "connection charge"
>
> Ah, but...
>
> Bad:
> -------
> To get access to all these cool benefits, VZW now automatically will
> charge "inPulse" accounts 99 cents a day. Period. Even on days you
> don't use it.
>
> So, for those looking for a "prepay phone to have around", this just
> upped the cost to just under $30 a month, and that does NOT include
> whatever money you spend making calls! So, if you put, say, $30 in
> there, it would be completely eaten up by the service charges within a
> month.
>
> They're apparently going after a different prepay market now... those
> who want similar features to the postpaid accounts without going
> through credit checks. The unlimited N/W and in-Network is a great
> thing, but it'll cost you $30 to use it every month. VZW
> Prepay/"inPulse" is not going to be for casual users anymore.
>
> Oh, and one more thing. From the coverage maps, it appears they are
> slicing off ALL non-VZW network roaming. I can't confirm this, but
> former Alltel areas, for example, are now showing "No Service".
> However, the page above does mention a now-lower 69c/min. roaming fee
> (it was 99c/min in the FreeUp days, at least), so maybe the maps are
> not accurate.
>
> This doesn't affect me at all, since I went to postpaid long ago, but
> it's an interesting development.
>
> Mike
March 4, 2005 8:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:39:08 GMT, "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma"
<dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>Unlimite Night Minutes: Talk to anyone during the night hours (9:01 pm-5:59
>am Sun - Sat; 99¢ daily access applies).

Which has limited advantage for anyone living on the west coast.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:11:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol wrote:
> cricket wrote:
>> I thought it required specific phones designed for
>> prepaid use.
>
> Any phone can be used for prepaid with Verizon; at least
> it used to be that way. The Prepay-specific phones may
> have had special firmware that does stuff like letting
> you know how many prepaid minutes you have left...

The prepaid phones used to be locked. They used to
have 1 or 2 subsidized phones for pre-pay. $20 or $30
when opening up a pre-pay account. Made sense that
they locked them. No contract. No guarantee of recouping
the subsidy. If you brought your own phone with you then
you only paid the activation.

When I did a pre-pay a few years ago I had a dual NAM
phone on an LDC plan (was going to the other coast).
No activation so they threw in a $30 re-up card.

-Quick
March 4, 2005 2:23:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:35:53 GMT, "N9WOS" <n9wos@nobugatt.net> wrote:

>It would appear as thou they are trying to push their ARPU figure up.
>Yes/no?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

This guarantees that they get at least $30 a month out of their
non-postpaid customers...plus whatever money they spend on calling
beyond the minimum.

Mike
March 4, 2005 2:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:39:08 GMT, "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma"
<dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>One small correction: unlimited nights are included, there are no free
>weekend minutes that I am aware of. Specfically Sunday - Saturday... 7 days
>a week, sorry, no free weekends with the plan

Yes, my error on the original...I'm so used to free nights/weekends
being thrown together in postpaid plans that I missed this one.

Mike
March 4, 2005 5:45:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> I suppose if you're willing to pay a minimum of $30 a month for
> prepaid service it might be a good deal. It definitely would be a
> poor choice for an occasional caller.
>
> It might be good for a foreigner who cannot get monthly service or for
> someone who's credit challenged. I can't see who else would want it.
> (And I believe you also pay for voicemail deposits as well.)
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There is charge for VM deposits.

I love the new prepay plan. Sold more in the last 2 weeks than I normally
sell in 2 months. I would have loved to still have the old plan to offer
for very low usage customers but if I can only sell one, the new one is what
I would take. It works great for moderate to heavy users who can't get a
regular plan.


KC
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:45:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message
news:gw_Vd.969$603.240@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> > I suppose if you're willing to pay a minimum of $30 a month for
> > prepaid service it might be a good deal. It definitely would be a
> > poor choice for an occasional caller.
> >
> > It might be good for a foreigner who cannot get monthly service or for
> > someone who's credit challenged. I can't see who else would want it.
> > (And I believe you also pay for voicemail deposits as well.)
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> There is charge for VM deposits.
>
> I love the new prepay plan. Sold more in the last 2 weeks than I normally
> sell in 2 months. I would have loved to still have the old plan to offer
> for very low usage customers but if I can only sell one, the new one is
what
> I would take. It works great for moderate to heavy users who can't get a
> regular plan.

When you say "users who can't get a regular plan," I think you've hit the
nail on the head. It's obvious Verizon doesn't want light users of any
ilk... at least not at a price that has any relationship to light usage.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:45:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Joe Kaffe wrote:
> "_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message
> news:gw_Vd.969$603.240@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>
>>> I suppose if you're willing to pay a minimum of $30 a
>>> month for prepaid service it might be a good deal. It
>>> definitely would be a poor choice for an occasional
>>> caller.
>>>
>>> It might be good for a foreigner who cannot get monthly
>>> service or for someone who's credit challenged. I
>>> can't see who else would want it. (And I believe you
>>> also pay for voicemail deposits as well.) - - - - - - -
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> There is charge for VM deposits.
>>
>> I love the new prepay plan. Sold more in the last 2
>> weeks than I normally sell in 2 months. I would have
>> loved to still have the old plan to offer for very low
>> usage customers but if I can only sell one, the new one
>> is what I would take. It works great for moderate to
>> heavy users who can't get a regular plan.
>
> When you say "users who can't get a regular plan," I
> think you've hit the nail on the head. It's obvious
> Verizon doesn't want light users of any ilk... at least
> not at a price that has any relationship to light usage.

That makes sense. The overhead costs associated with
an account are pretty much fixed (billing system, CS, etc.).
As you go towards the lower cost plans that fixed cost
becomes more significant.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:19:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

>It's obvious Verizon doesn't want light users of any
> ilk... at least not at a price that has any relationship to light usage.

It looks as if they have figured the profits from the people
that can be forced into the dollar a day plan.
(Ones that that would have chosen the lower price plan if it was available.)
is greater than the profit lost from the rest of them that dump
the service because of a lack of a lower price plan.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:04:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"N9WOS" <n9wos@nobugatt.net> wrote in message
news:Jw2Wd.101122$Th1.91551@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >It's obvious Verizon doesn't want light users of any
> > ilk... at least not at a price that has any relationship to light usage.
>
> It looks as if they have figured the profits from the people
> that can be forced into the dollar a day plan.
> (Ones that that would have chosen the lower price plan if it was
available.)
> is greater than the profit lost from the rest of them that dump
> the service because of a lack of a lower price plan.

They've crunched the numbers, of that we can be certain!

Although I'd like a plan with fewer minutes than I presently have (at lower
cost). Verizon doesn't offer one, and the new prepaid plan would actually
cost me more than I presently pay. As a matter of fact, if I walked into a
Verizon store looking for first time service, I'm afraid I'd walk out empty
handed.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 6:54:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:j6bWd.134699$Yu.53726@fed1read01...
>
> "N9WOS" <n9wos@nobugatt.net> wrote in message
> news:Jw2Wd.101122$Th1.91551@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> >It's obvious Verizon doesn't want light users of any
>> > ilk... at least not at a price that has any relationship to light usage.
>>
>> It looks as if they have figured the profits from the people
>> that can be forced into the dollar a day plan.
>> (Ones that that would have chosen the lower price plan if it was
> available.)
>> is greater than the profit lost from the rest of them that dump
>> the service because of a lack of a lower price plan.
>
> They've crunched the numbers, of that we can be certain!
>
> Although I'd like a plan with fewer minutes than I presently have (at lower
> cost). Verizon doesn't offer one, and the new prepaid plan would actually
> cost me more than I presently pay. As a matter of fact, if I walked into a
> Verizon store looking for first time service, I'm afraid I'd walk out empty
> handed.
>

They appear to be honoring previous (old) FreeUp plans unchanged.
I've just added $30 to mine, and the old terms seem to still apply,
including $.30/$.15 minutes, and the 30 "bonus" weekend minutes.
March 8, 2005 6:06:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Yes, if you have the older PP plan you will keep it. You do not have to
change to the new plan.


KC
March 8, 2005 6:06:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message
news:gw_Vd.969$603.240@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>> I suppose if you're willing to pay a minimum of $30 a month for
>> prepaid service it might be a good deal. It definitely would be a
>> poor choice for an occasional caller.
>>
>> It might be good for a foreigner who cannot get monthly service or for
>> someone who's credit challenged. I can't see who else would want it.
>> (And I believe you also pay for voicemail deposits as well.)
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> There is charge for VM deposits.
>
> I love the new prepay plan. Sold more in the last 2 weeks than I normally
> sell in 2 months. I would have loved to still have the old plan to offer
> for very low usage customers but if I can only sell one, the new one is
> what I would take. It works great for moderate to heavy users who can't
> get a regular plan.
>
>
> KC


Bah, just noticed my misprint. There ISN'T a charge for VM deposits.



KC
!