printer not installing after sx sp2

I have 2 printers both connected to the same computer(win xp pro with sp2)
the printers are hp deskjet 1210 psc and hp deskjet 5740. Like I said both
worked fine untill I installed sp2, now nether printer will install. I have
search for the answer for almost 2 weeks and nothing. I have read the Q/A
here and well hp, nothing on the web. I have even switched out the usb cable
and nada.
please help me, thanks.
truckrwolf
4 answers Last reply
More about printer installing

    I had the same problem with my Canon MultiPASS F80.
    Microsoft directed me to Canon. Canon had a patch
    specifically for XP Pro SP2 printer problem on its
    website. I downloaded patch and it solved the problem.
    Go to HP's website - maybe they have a patch for your's.

    Possibilities that are somewhat 'shots in the dark'.

    Navigate to Start Run. Type each line as below and press the enter key
    after each line.

    cmd
    net start spooler

    You should get a message that it succeeded. Now type

    exit

    and you should be back at the Windows desktop.

    Now, try installing the printers.

    Plan 2

    Go to Control Panel Add or remove programs and remove SP2.
    Unplug the printers from the computer.
    Restart Windows.
    Delete the printer drivers,
    Restart windows.
    Install SP2.
    Restart Windows.
    Reinstall the drivers according to the instructions.

    I don't know if either method will work. Just eliminating possibilities.

    There is a hotfix from Microsoft that addresses known issues with some
    printers.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    Perhaps Alan Morris or someone else can offer a comment on whether this
    will/might/won't help with your problem.

    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS

    "truckrwolf" <truckrwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    :I have 2 printers both connected to the same computer(win xp pro with
    sp2)
    : the printers are hp deskjet 1210 psc and hp deskjet 5740. Like I said
    both
    : worked fine untill I installed sp2, now nether printer will install. I
    have
    : search for the answer for almost 2 weeks and nothing. I have read the
    Q/A
    : here and well hp, nothing on the web. I have even switched out the usb
    cable
    : and nada.
    : please help me, thanks.
    : truckrwolf

    Donna,
    I'm sorry that I did not clearify that enough. What I meant to say is that
    HP, as far as I could see, did not have a patch, at that time. I will look
    again, because I still have one printer that is according to the HP tech,
    non-compatible with xp pro. Yet, it was working fine, until I downloaded the
    sp2.
    Thank you, I really do appreciate your response.
    truckrwolf

    "Donna" wrote:

    > I had the same problem with my Canon MultiPASS F80.
    > Microsoft directed me to Canon. Canon had a patch
    > specifically for XP Pro SP2 printer problem on its
    > website. I downloaded patch and it solved the problem.
    > Go to HP's website - maybe they have a patch for your's.

    Thanks, I not only uninstalled xpsp2, but was unable to reinstall it. I did
    not relize that xpsp2 is considered an upgrade, just like my xp pro,
    therefore the 2 could not coexist together. So now i don't have xpsp2 but i
    do have norton security. Thank you again.
    truckrwolf

Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP