Permissions to install printer drivers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hello:

This questions has to do with both security and printing, so I'm posting to
both groups.

In the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Documentation" it
states "Windows XP Professional requires that you have Power User or greater
permissions and have the Load and unload device drivers permissions assigned
to you to install printers."

They are referring to local printers in that sentence, but does that also
apply to network printers? If it does, then regular users cannot install
network printers for which XP does not have built-in drivers, correct? I've
tested this and it appears to be the case, but I need some confirmation.
Also, if an admin already installed the network printer at one point on the
PC, and then deleted it from the PC, the driver would still be on the PC? So
when a regular user goes to install that network printer, she can do so
without any problems because the driver was already on the PC, correct?
Thank you.

--
Sincerely,
Martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

See Bruce Sanderson's article for how to install a network printer for all
users.
www.coribright.com