no runas option

We support users running locked down XP and use runas to
switch to the admin id when doing remote support
setups/changes.
We want to do the same for Printers and Faxes but are
unable to do so.
You cannot select runas from right mouse selection of
Printers and Faxes in the control panel.
If in a command prompt we use "runas /user:administrator
control" after the pw prompt we get nothing.
We have been looking for the cpl file but have failed.
The registry entry for the control panel NameSpace for
Printers refers to module %systemroot%\system32\main.cpl
but that is for the mouse not for printers.
Any ideas anyone?
Please help if you can.
Regards, Major.
thats my christian name ;-)

launch the printers folder at the command line with
control printers

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Mr Major Thorburn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We support users running locked down XP and use runas to
> switch to the admin id when doing remote support
> setups/changes.
> We want to do the same for Printers and Faxes but are
> unable to do so.
> You cannot select runas from right mouse selection of
> Printers and Faxes in the control panel.
> If in a command prompt we use "runas /user:administrator
> control" after the pw prompt we get nothing.
> We have been looking for the cpl file but have failed.
> The registry entry for the control panel NameSpace for
> Printers refers to module %systemroot%\system32\main.cpl
> but that is for the mouse not for printers.
> Any ideas anyone?
> Please help if you can.
> Regards, Major.
> thats my christian name ;-)

Alan thanks for that suggestion.
Running control printers from the run line starts the
printers component ok.
I need to be able to do that using runas so I can do the
printer setup with a higher authority.
I have tried the following:
runas /user:administrator control printers - nothing
happened
runas /user:administrator "control printers" - same
I created a cmd file containing control printers
and tried runas to run that and the cmd window appeared
and disappeared.
I changed the cmd file to contain start control printers
and got the same result.
I tried runas /user:administrator "cmd /c ctlptr.cmd" and
got the same the same result.
Any ideas?
Regards, Major.

confers no rights.

wrote in message
>> We support users running locked down XP and use runas to
>> switch to the admin id when doing remote support
>> setups/changes.
>> We want to do the same for Printers and Faxes but are
>> unable to do so.
>> You cannot select runas from right mouse selection of
>> Printers and Faxes in the control panel.
>> If in a command prompt we use "runas /user:administrator
>> control" after the pw prompt we get nothing.
>> We have been looking for the cpl file but have failed.
>> The registry entry for the control panel NameSpace for
>> Printers refers to module %systemroot%\system32\main.cpl
>> but that is for the mouse not for printers.
>> Any ideas anyone?
>> Please help if you can.
>> Regards, Major.
>> thats my christian name ;-)
>

>.

I think you will need to terminate the current explorer.exe process which is
running in the user context. Then launch runas and "control printers"
which will start the explorer in admin context. I would recommend that you
terminate this explorer after you have completed.

Have you used the RunAs verb on the Add Printer icon? Is this really what
you are looking for?

Select the Add Printer ICON, hold down Shift, Right Click. Select Runas and
enter the admin credentials.

I looked through Help and there was nothing listed in my search. I'll ask
the person who tests this if this feature is documented someplace.

--

> Alan thanks for that suggestion.
> Running control printers from the run line starts the
> printers component ok.
> I need to be able to do that using runas so I can do the
> printer setup with a higher authority.
> I have tried the following:
> runas /user:administrator control printers - nothing
> happened
> runas /user:administrator "control printers" - same
> I created a cmd file containing control printers
> and tried runas to run that and the cmd window appeared
> and disappeared.
> I changed the cmd file to contain start control printers
> and got the same result.
> I tried runas /user:administrator "cmd /c ctlptr.cmd" and
> got the same the same result.
> Any ideas?
> Regards, Major.

Thank you very much for the info. ;-)
I did not realise that I could use runas on the internal
icons. That will solve one of my immediate problems.

I would like to be able to run the Printers, Server
Properties under runas to do the port setups.

Regards, Major.

wrote in message
>> Alan thanks for that suggestion.
>> Running control printers from the run line starts the
>> printers component ok.
>> I need to be able to do that using runas so I can do the
>> printer setup with a higher authority.
>> I have tried the following:
>> runas /user:administrator control printers - nothing
>> happened
>> runas /user:administrator "control printers" - same
>> I created a cmd file containing control printers
>> and tried runas to run that and the cmd window appeared
>> and disappeared.
>> I changed the cmd file to contain start control printers
>> and got the same result.
>> I tried runas /user:administrator "cmd /c ctlptr.cmd"
and
>> got the same the same result.
>> Any ideas?
>> Regards, Major.

and
>> confers no rights.
>> >
>> >"Mr Major Thorburn"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
runas to
use "runas /user:administrator
failed.
for
\main.cpl

>> >.
>> >

>.

I am glad this is not my day job!

Open the Printers Folder
Move the mouse to any white area
Hold down the shift, Right Click
Note the RunAs option
there are two selections Add printer or Server Properties