A games preference to more cores

satyamdubey

Distinguished
hello everyone

we know that Hardware Monitor shows per core utilization....

if, for a game, HW Monitor reports equal per core utilization for a sandy bridge core i5, can that mean that the game is quad core optimized?

curious....

Solution
its actual thread optimization not core optimization. its unusual for 2 cores to register the same usage as the are often performing very different tasks. 1 core my be running 2 threads and splitting the workload between them while the other core is working on the results of the previous 2 threads. it all really depends on what the programmer wants from the program as to how well he will need to optimize the cpu usage.
its actual thread optimization not core optimization. its unusual for 2 cores to register the same usage as the are often performing very different tasks. 1 core my be running 2 threads and splitting the workload between them while the other core is working on the results of the previous 2 threads. it all really depends on what the programmer wants from the program as to how well he will need to optimize the cpu usage.

Solution

satyamdubey

Distinguished

so this thread optimization must be something that's come out only after HT or multicore processors were introduced?

satyamdubey

Distinguished

good read thanks....

another thing...a bit out of context... i have an HD6670....when i try to boost the GPU clock to 900 MHz through catalyst, the display driver crashes and then recovers

I have a 280 W psu and on another thread, you'd advised me against it (the psu)...is it the psu or the card itself...the display driver works fine till 800 MHz gpu clock