Microsoft Points Out iPad's Enterprise Weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The iPad's a multimedia and entertainment device, it wasn't really designed to be used in a business environment but people do anyway.

It's fine for a lot of things businesses need, but the iPad wasn't meant to cater to "Everyones" needs because put simply no computing device can fulfil everybody's expectations.

G

Well, they are comparing apple and oranges ;-)
From an IT manager's perpective (from a large corporation), Microsoft's arguments are relevant. Security seriously sucks on Apple devices and the only reason why there are not so much problems with them is that pirates are not that interested in it.
On the other hand, Windows based tablets always failed to impress me on the functionalities and user friendliness. They are also so slow and consume so much power that we can safely say that they barely function, while iPads run smooth.
I imagine that some software suites for locking features of the iPad (other than what Apple is locking ;-) ), establishing VPN connections,... will do the job for most enterprises.
We are not in a situation where every employee should have an iPad, but there already some specialized iPad applications available for some very specific tasks (inventory of assets in large building, interviews,...) and for those tasks, they work very well.
To me, Apple only misses three things to win more of those large accounts:
- Offering them better ways to install their applications (let the enterprises put apps on the devices without this ##"!! iStore.
- Offer more rugged versions of the iPad (because the current one will never work in some environments).
- A screen that can be read outdoors.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Translation: "We don't have a product that's even potentially in that market, yet. Therefore, we're going to attack the market leader as a stall tactic while we figure out what we'll do to compete."

G

nice job microsoft...nothing like pointing out the deficiencies of others when you yourself have nothing viable to offer.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Regardless of whether or not microsoft can compete, their worries are still valid.

Furthermore, as we have seen in CES'11, lets see what happens when win tablets.. or even droid tablets hit the mainstream.

Apple may have gotten the jump, but thats about all they are going to get (or the people who blindly buy apple without knowing why).

G

Bottom line. Apple is not in the enterprise market. Nuff said. Microsoft is.....but they are loosing their grip to other innovators like Google and Apple. For example after presentations from Google and Microsoft at a Major university, it was recommended by the committee to move away from Microsoft. I know...this because I'm part of the committee.

PS. Don't you hate when someone says, "Nuff said", and continue blabbing! LOL.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Well, they are comparing apple and oranges ;-)From an IT manager's perpective (from a large corporation), Microsoft's arguments are relevant. Security seriously sucks on Apple devices and the only reason why there are not so much problems with them is that pirates are not that interested in it.On the other hand, Windows based tablets always failed to impress me on the functionalities and user friendliness. They are also so slow and consume so much power that we can safely say that they barely function, while iPads run smooth.I imagine that some software suites for locking features of the iPad (other than what Apple is locking ;-) ), establishing VPN connections,... will do the job for most enterprises.We are not in a situation where every employee should have an iPad, but there already some specialized iPad applications available for some very specific tasks (inventory of assets in large building, interviews,...) and for those tasks, they work very well. To me, Apple only misses three things to win more of those large accounts:- Offering them better ways to install their applications (let the enterprises put apps on the devices without this ##"!! iStore.- Offer more rugged versions of the iPad (because the current one will never work in some environments).- A screen that can be read outdoors.[/citation]

And where is the central management and security features beyond a free app?

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
By the way, this is not about iPad, this is iOS, which installs in more than just iPad. At the same time, since it is operating system, and not hardware, it can be amended in future, if those fortune 500 companies require that...

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]geoffs[/nom]Translation: "We don't have a product that's even potentially in that market, yet. Therefore, we're going to attack the market leader as a stall tactic while we figure out what we'll do to compete."[/citation]

You hit the nail on the head. Instead of attacking Apple every time they fall beyond, MS would be well served to bring in some fresh creative talent and push for more innovation. They have the means, they obviously have the desire, but do they have the brains to do it? Seems like MS is always trying to play catch-up, they need to get out there and do some real creative thinking and innovate.

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
At least this slide might affect IT managers who have gone googly-eyed about the iPad. It is an entertainment device, not meant for business or government.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Technical personnel in your Enterprise = iPad is a joke and serves no purpose, based on technical knowledge and understanding of the infrastructure and device limitations.

Managers/secretaries/less-knowledgeable users = iPad is pretty, plays games and apps, and is OK to use due to these misunderstandings.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Stupid question...can you put Apps/Tools that were built in-house onto iPad iOS?

Also, is there any way that you can view SharePoint sites in their full form on iOS? If you try SharePoint 2010 sites for example, they will only be viewed in "mobile" view unless you go through a deep process to disable mobile sites.

Not trying to defend MSFT at all here, I just know that most businesses love SharePoint sites for a number of reasons, and require custom tools/apps on their blackberries, laptops and desktops also for good reasons. If Apple claims 80% of S&P 500 are piloting iPads, they must all be drastically changing their infrastructure to support it.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Stupid question...can you put Apps/Tools that were built in-house onto iPad iOS?Also, is there any way that you can view SharePoint sites in their full form on iOS? If you try SharePoint 2010 sites for example, they will only be viewed in "mobile" view unless you go through a deep process to disable mobile sites.Not trying to defend MSFT at all here, I just know that most businesses love SharePoint sites for a number of reasons, and require custom tools/apps on their blackberries, laptops and desktops also for good reasons. If Apple claims 80% of S&P 500 are piloting iPads, they must all be drastically changing their infrastructure to support it.[/citation]
Excellent point - SharePoint is estimated at 130Million license base and counting. My company is in the starting phases of trialing Slate/Ipad devices and SharePoint support is a huge issue I need solved if we make any decision.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Microsoft: "The iPad sucks for enterprise - our technologically superior devices are ideal for the business environment."

Apple: "Yeah, we could do that whole PS3-appeal-to-the-limited-market, but we'd rather follow the Wii and tap into the larger ID10T market."

the problem is, you have stupid people using it for purposes its not meant to in businesses. Apple people dont understand when you say "its just a toy, not a real computer". Talk to anyone in IT who will tell you supporting these things and iphones in a business is a nightmare.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]samdon[/nom]nice job microsoft...nothing like pointing out the deficiencies of others when you yourself have nothing viable to offer.[/citation]
And apple and google do the exact same thing, it's called marketing.

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]the problem is, you have stupid people using it for purposes its not meant to in businesses. Apple people dont understand when you say "its just a toy, not a real computer". Talk to anyone in IT who will tell you supporting these things and iphones in a business is a nightmare.[/citation]
Our IT dept explicitly went out of their way to block the iphone email app due to how often it pings the servers and security concerns (they can still use OWA through the browser though).

That said, MS has a point here, making ipads ISO17025 and TS16949 compliant would be a nightmare as would making it UL audit-able.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I work for a Fortune 3 corporation. The CEO asked the CIO why we were not using iPads and iPhones. The computer department has a project to study the issue this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.