Fax Console occasionally locks computer

I seem have a similar problem as others with Win XP Fax Console. I have a
new Dell Dimension 2400, and when I contacted Dell, they had me call
Microsoft, but their support was useless. We have two computers using XP
LAN. My modem is a Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem. There is also a
"CAPTURE FAX BVRP" fax listed as a printer using a "NUL" port. I don't know
where this came from.

About once in 10 times, with an incoming fax, the computer locks up. I send
using Fax Console very rarely, but it occasionally locks up when sending too.

Your response to someone was "The Windows Fax Service can only operate on
the Local System account." If this is my solution, how do I set it up with
the Local System account?

Thank-you,
Merlin
2 answers Last reply
More about console occasionally locks computer

    This sounds more like you have more than one fax program installed. Windows
    XP Fax rarely if ever works correctly when you have another fax program
    installed.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Merlin" <Merlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem have a similar problem as others with Win XP Fax Console. I have a
    > new Dell Dimension 2400, and when I contacted Dell, they had me call
    > Microsoft, but their support was useless. We have two computers using XP
    > LAN. My modem is a Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem. There is also a
    > "CAPTURE FAX BVRP" fax listed as a printer using a "NUL" port. I don't
    > know
    > where this came from.
    >
    > About once in 10 times, with an incoming fax, the computer locks up. I
    > send
    > using Fax Console very rarely, but it occasionally locks up when sending
    > too.
    >
    > Your response to someone was "The Windows Fax Service can only operate on
    > the Local System account." If this is my solution, how do I set it up
    > with
    > the Local System account?
    >
    > Thank-you,
    > Merlin

    Yes there was a "Classic Phone Tools" program that has a fax function. I
    removed it, and the other Fax "CAPTURE FAX BVRP" disappeared from the printer
    list. I'll try this and see what happens.

    Thanks Russ

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > This sounds more like you have more than one fax program installed. Windows
    > XP Fax rarely if ever works correctly when you have another fax program
    > installed.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Merlin" <Merlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I seem have a similar problem as others with Win XP Fax Console. I have a
    > > new Dell Dimension 2400, and when I contacted Dell, they had me call
    > > Microsoft, but their support was useless. We have two computers using XP
    > > LAN. My modem is a Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem. There is also a
    > > "CAPTURE FAX BVRP" fax listed as a printer using a "NUL" port. I don't
    > > know
    > > where this came from.
    > >
    > > About once in 10 times, with an incoming fax, the computer locks up. I
    > > send
    > > using Fax Console very rarely, but it occasionally locks up when sending
    > > too.
    > >
    > > Your response to someone was "The Windows Fax Service can only operate on
    > > the Local System account." If this is my solution, how do I set it up
    > > with
    > > the Local System account?
    > >
    > > Thank-you,
    > > Merlin