Sign in with
Your question

Are there any good games out still?

Last response: in Video Games
July 5, 2012 11:28:36 AM

So I have a $1200 3570k/GTX 670 build sitting in my newegg cart ready to be purchased, my card is out and I am entering my number when I realize there aren't any games out right now that I'm really exited over. I've always been a huge gamer, but since I sold my last rig in 2010 its been almost 2 years since I've bought a new game. All the while I've been playing older games on my $500 dell laptop on its intel hd 3000 graphics. I'm temped to go ahead with this new build, but after I'm done putting it together, tweaking it, OCing it, etc. what use would I have for it? All the latest PC games seem like console ports with clunky, floaty controls and dumbed down graphics. So I ask is it even worth it these days to build a gaming rig with the current quality of games, or am I better of putting my money in an IRL activity?

More about : good games

July 5, 2012 12:23:04 PM

FLanighan said:
So I ask is it even worth it these days to build a gaming rig with the current quality of games, or am I better of putting my money in an IRL activity?

I don't know what your "IRL activitys" are but if you were that serious about your "IRL activitys" and couldn't afford to build/buy a new computer and do you "IRL activitys" at the same time you wouldn't/shouldn't be here asking this question.

Yes it is worth it, but of course, it depends on your needs and what games you want to play. Not all games are console ports.

Metro 2033
Battlefield 3
Witcher 2
Total War Series
Starcraft 2
Arma 2
Crysis
Crysis 2

are all amazing awesome games and more than enough reason for you to want a new gaming PC.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:32:40 PM

FLanighan said:
- I've always been a huge gamer
- I've been playing older games on my $500 dell laptop on its intel hd 3000 graphics.

Honestly, if you have been content for the last 2 years playing on integrated graphics then maybe you don't need to spend that money on the GPU at the least.

If your looking to play more graphically intense games then yeah go for the GPU. Some great examples of games were posted above. Total war games I can highly recommend as well as the Witcher 2. Of course BF3, but honestly EA is slowly raping me away from that game and its franchise.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 5:45:54 PM

There's definitely good games out there, but maybe you should just go with a slightly more conservative build? I guess it depends on what you want, a 670 will max out games at 1080p, but something like a 7850 is better bang for the buck.

Last 2 years of PC gaming... let's see. Some of my favs:

STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Metro 2033
Crysis
Crysis 2
Witcher 2
Skyrim
RAGE (not the best, but I did have fun)
Cryostasis
I heard Max Payne 3 is good
Starcraft 2 multiplayer
Dirt series (Dirt 2 is my fav, but 3 is decent)
Fable 3
Battlefield 3
Dragon Age 2 (it's ok, I had fun for most of it)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (as well as it's forbears, Penumbra 1 and 2)

I'm sure I'm missing some too, but anyway these games are all/mostly worth playing on PC.

That said, I'm in a somewhat similar boat... do I spend $400 on my PC upgrades or work on my car? Lol... right now, it's car. And golf.
m
l
July 5, 2012 6:42:14 PM

It definitely depends on what games you are wanting to play for the cost to be worth it or not.
m
l
!