Heatsink on plain vanilla GEFORCE2 MX 32 mb?

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
would putting a heatsink or fan somehow on a geforce2 mx 32 mb card in any way improve its performance? just curious as I have one and would like to know before I go out and buy a card twice its price for my away-from-home gaming pc...

svol

Champion
I have a old CPU fan from an Pentium 75 :smile: mounted on my standard heatsink, which cools it pretty good. I also have ramsinks on my videocard memory. If it's cooled good enough you can OC it.
I have my ASUS V7100 GeForce2 32 MB Pure OC'ed and the results are good (+600 points at 3dMark2001).
My GPU is OC'ed from 175 to 220 MHz.
And my video mem. OC'ed from 166 to 205 Mhz.

Do not make illegal copies of this post :wink:

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Like svol said, it's good for if you want to overclock the vid card, but does not provide any actual performance increase on its own. It may drop your case temp by a degree or 2 and may prolong the life of your vid card as well (unless you install the heatsink incorrectly, which will drastically shorten the life of your vid card). My advice? don't bother unless you're planning on overclocking it or using it for more than 2 years, and don't do it at all if you don't know what you are doing.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.